• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exo vs Internal Cages

For some of us money isn't the only problem. I plan on putting my DD on the trail and having an exo-cage. For a lot of us it's not so much that we can't financially afford a strictly trail vehicle but some of us live in a city and can't have unlicensed vehicles sitting around in our driveways or vehicles on our property that aren't insured.

I'm a little offended at the fact that just because I have a Jeep daily driver that I also trail pound with on the weekends I'm considered a pansy because I can't afford to have a "trail only" vehicle like some of you. Wheelin isn't all about money and who has the best stuff, it's about enjoying a sport with other people that also enjoy it. It's that kind of attitude that gives Jeepers a bad name.

So CRASH I apologize for all of us people who wheel our daily drivers for not being in your league. Remember a "trail only" vehicle also needs something to pull it with and possibly a trailer and for some of us financially that is not an option. :moon:

TB-XJ,

Don't worry he's just a cross dressing pansy (CRASHitt) spewing crap he know little about. :D

Hope that helps! :D :laugh2: :shhh:

hinkley

where this this come from????????????

did crash start this?

let it be known that naxja is not a "trail rig only" club....

"trail rig only" is made up of a small, small percentage of the paid members....

let it also be known that many, if not most of californias "big jeep set"

DROVE to our last big event.

crash included.

TB-XJ said:
You know Mark your last name and my last name are only different by one letter? LOL

Your last name *Pinkley*? :D

Joke!

hinkley

Just found your corret one! :D
Terrible what you can find out on the internet!

Rev Den said:
Not trying to be a prick....but...this subject gets hit about once a month. Try a search for EXO, CAGE, ROLL...etc.

Rev

Nice XJ Chop. That looks alot like what I plan on doing in the spring. Wierd thing is I have a 90 Red XJ 2dr Sport as well. Email me and let me know the pro's and cons of your chop.

TB-XJ said:
I'm a little offended at the fact that just because I have a Jeep daily driver that I also trail pound with on the weekends I'm considered a pansy because I can't afford to have a "trail only" vehicle like some of you. Wheelin isn't all about money and who has the best stuff, it's about enjoying a sport with other people that also enjoy it. It's that kind of attitude that gives Jeepers a bad name.

I think you've got the wrong idea about CRASH.

Beezil said:
do both.

I just took a HARD HARD roll onto my roof....didn't even touch the side, since I fell from a ledge.

the cage DIDN'T BUDGE.

That thing is TESTED to the extreme.

From here on out, I will be an annoying pain in the ass when it comes to this topic....I strongly believe that exo-only is a total waste...
scal10.JPG

Beez, do you have any pics of your ride flopped? I know you have posted pics of after but not as it was happening or just happened.

Also put some sheetmetal back on that thing like the front fenders, it just looks naked with out them!:D

O ya, you have always been a pain in the ass, Whats changed?:D:D:D

AARON

Beezil said:
"difficult" is hanging 4x12 x 3/4" drywall on a ceiling without a lift.

"easy" is anything that doesn't require swearing, grunting, sweating, worrying, muscle pulling, or getting totally greasy-filthy-dirty. The task is laid out before you, and you do it step by step.

that's why I call it "easy".

if you disagree you should just sell your jeep now.

I gotta agree with John here. Last year when I rolled my XJ, before I decided to fix it, I went from bumper to bumper and figured/estimated how much time it would take to move everything over to another rig, and re-make all of my custom mounts. This includes axles, suspension, t-case, body armor, air compressor, stereo...everything. I calculated between 150 and 200 hours, and things always take much longer than we plan......WAY too much for me. I got it fixed and built a cage in way less time, and ended up with a better vehicle.

We're also at different levels of usage, some with newer rigs and some with daily drivers. I think everyone should seriously evaluate your own objectives, do a lot of research, and then very thoughtfully design a cage. Also, if you plan to wheel your rig hard enough to need a cage, and actually build one, it makes little difference how new your XJ is......it will have VERY little resale value.

Beezil said:
do both.

I just took a HARD HARD roll onto my roof....didn't even touch the side, since I fell from a ledge.

the cage DIDN'T BUDGE.

That thing is TESTED to the extreme.

From here on out, I will be an annoying pain in the ass when it comes to this topic....I strongly believe that exo-only is a total waste...

Its gotta start with a REAL, triangulated design that doesn't bother with trying to keep glove box and heater vents working....if you wanna strap on an exo after that, by all means.....

I can vouch for both the hard roll and how well the cage held up.....I was in the passenger seat. :D

Beez makes some good points, and I agree that only an exo cage isn't ideal. I have a combination of internal and external cage. However, Greg (C-Rok) took the hardest roll by far at the 20th Anniversary event, he fell backwards off a near vertical wall and landed on his roof. Greg has only an exo cage, and while he did have a little damage, it was pretty minor considering the violence of the rollover, and his rig is intact, still looks good, and he's wheeling it the way it is.

We can talk about the best cages, and the strongest designs, but I still think it takes very little additional structure to ensure that the people inside are safe. So, adding rigidity and minimizing damage become big issues in my opinion.

Yeah I see the internal cage, but bars on the outside would look sweet.

goatman...

you weren't in the rig for the last one!!!

it was fun!

"build a buggy".....

sure, I can.

and I will.....

but I got the cherokee for free, and that's what I started with. It provided me with an important learning platform. Had I built a buggy last year, I'm pretty sure it would have ended up being PURE junk. I'm glad I haven't attempted one yet. I have plenty to learn before I decide to do one.

I am about to purchase a CNC tubing bender, so NOT starting a buggy project yet will have been a good thing. doing the bending work can easily be accomplished in a couple days as opposed to weeks.

"building a buggy" would NOT have been easier. The brain work alone would be the toughest part. and then there's acquiring all the running gear. Sure, any redneck with a welder and a jd-2 can make a buggy, but I'm not interested in making a buggy for the sake of making a buggy. I want one that WORKS!!!!! And when I do a buggy, it sure as hell isn't gonna be with a 4.0/aw-4.....its gonna be with a powertrain that weighs FAR less, less peripheral sensor garbage, but still fuel injection. I smell a V-6 of some sort.

Goat, I dunno man, my definition of "easy" or "difficult" doesn't change when something takes a hundre or so hours to complete.

It would take me a long time to paint my whole house, inside and out, and I consider painting to be stupid-easy.

I guess its a matter of perspective.

mr. shoe.

i do have some pics, just haven't gotten around to posting it.

there was a guy who shot vid, I'm just having a tough time acquiring it to upload it. Maybe glenn will host it for me?

I forgot to mention......for rollover protection, I use a Mat-tool.
The Mat-tool is sanctioned by many race organizations as an acceptable roll over protection system or ROPS. Although not cheap to make (need years & years of food) once completed you have a dynamic ballast system that will not only aid in ROP, but also aid in forward motion with our patented "Matt Wheel Drive feature". This was developed from years & years of weight training with hay bales & sacks of cement. Don't be fooled by imitators. There is only one Mat-tool. Call today, quantities are limited.

Matt

Back