• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor Mount hardware question

jmm12d

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

It's my first time posting here so please let me know if this has been answered before, I did a search on here but couldn't find anything.

So I had my 4.0 rebuilt and am in the process of putting it back together. When trying to attach the brackets for the motor mounts (the ones that are bolted to the engine block) I noticed that I have one bolt that is a different size. It is a 15mm metric bolt that is slightly longer than the rest, and I believe the thread pitch is slightly different. This was unfortunately one of the pieces that I did not take note of when disassembling.

I've gone through my service manual, looked for forum posts, part diagrams, watched youtube videos, and cannot find anything that mentions one longer metric bolt. The standard bolts all thread in fine to every threaded boss intended for the brackets on the block, and the metric one doesn't seem to want to go into any of them very easily. I really don't want to crossthread or snap a bolt off in the block. Am I going crazy here or is there supposed to be one slightly different bolt for these brackets? I can't imagine I would've improperly bagged this bolt with the rest when taking it apart. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

PS: Is there an online resource for exploded part diagrams for the xj somewhere? It's my first jeep and I'm coming from the bmw world where I can visit realoem.com and find a diagram with a part number for literally anything.

Someone did that, all the block threads are American.

It's my first jeep and I'm coming from the bmw world where I can visit realoem.com and find a diagram with a part number for literally anything.

NAXJA discourages linking to pirated print materials because of copyright issues, but with some basic GoogleFu you can locate both a Factory Service Manual and a Jeep Cherokee Parts Catalog with exploded illustrations, descriptions, and part numbers.

Last edited:
Parts manual shows the bolts in the block are 10x1.5.

The ones in the body are .375-16 (aka 3/8-16)

This was in the 94-96 parts manual.

Parts manual shows the bolts in the block are 10x1.5.

The ones in the body are .375-16 (aka 3/8-16)

This was in the 94-96 parts manual.

You've got it backwards. Maybe you're holding the drawing upside down? :}

Figure 9B-1020, part #6 (3/8-16) is the bolts that secure the brackets to the block. The bolts on the body-side brackets are metric.

You've got it backwards.

Figure 9B-1020, part #6 (3/8-16) is the bolts that secure the brackets to the block. The bolts on the body-side brackets are metric.

What he said.

Oops, musta been in "mirror mode". ;)

Yep, that's the page!

Back