• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drop Bracket Install

Last edited:
So I'm going to put the braces on tomorrow (and will probably shoot myself b/c I have a feeling they're not going to cooperate for me) and was wondering if I needed to jack the XJ up to do this?

I've already got the drop brackets themselves on, so I'm thinking all I'll have to do is loosen the bolts on the frame side and go from there. I don't foresee myself having to disconnect the control arms again... will I have to?

You should jack the vehicle up to reduce weight/pressure on the control arms.

Jim

I installed mine this past weekend and didn't jack anything at all.
I had jack stands under the frame constantly (just in case) and the front wheels blocked.

Yucca-Man said:
You should jack the vehicle up to reduce weight/pressure on the control arms.

Jim

Where should I put the jackstands then? I can't put them in the normal position, since I'm installing the braces...

I finally got around to making some progress tonight on the brace install. I got one side finished and then realized that the bolts I had bought for the other side decided to run away on me...

The install went much better than I had anticipated. There were a few fitment issues, but nothing too bad. I'm starting to embrace the fact that with pretty much all things Cherokee, stuff just isn't going to line up perfectly. Here's my only concern:

SSPX0001.jpg

As you can see there is a gap in the middle there where the brace mounts to the bracket and then a small gap between the brace and the unibody there at the top... I'm assuming this is ok, but just wanted to check.
SSPX0002.jpg

Also, I think I stripped one of the bolts that's holding up the cross member (the front one). Is that a big deal or will I be ok?

SSPX0004.jpg

On the back of the stock brackets there was a little tab on mine (92 XJ) towards the bottom of the bracket. I ground off these tabs to help the brackets sit closer to flush, but still have a gap similar to yours. I'd be VERY sure that there's no gap at the bottom where the stock alignment shims go, to make sure they don't slide forward and backwards.
It's a little too late now, but when I did the install, I installed the brackets first, with jack stands between the x member and the control arm brackets. Once EVERY bolt was started up front, upper and lower control arms were back in (loose bolts) I moved the jack stands to allow for the bracket install.
Personally - I wouldn't worry about the stripped bolt until you need to remove it again. I had to grind two of mine off because the nut inside the frame was just spinning.

btfury said:
I finally got around to making some progress tonight on the brace install. I got one side finished and then realized that the bolts I had bought for the other side decided to run away on me...

The install went much better than I had anticipated. There were a few fitment issues, but nothing too bad. I'm starting to embrace the fact that with pretty much all things Cherokee, stuff just isn't going to line up perfectly. Here's my only concern:

SSPX0001.jpg

As you can see there is a gap in the middle there where the brace mounts to the bracket and then a small gap between the brace and the unibody there at the top... I'm assuming this is ok, but just wanted to check.
SSPX0002.jpg

There is a lip/bump on the back of your LCA pocket towards the top. Grind it off and you won't get that space.

btfury said:
Also, I think I stripped one of the bolts that's holding up the cross member (the front one). Is that a big deal or will I be ok?

Its really not ok. Get a 7/16 tap, tap the nut inside out and put a 7/16 bolt in. This is a very common problem and a very common fix.

Back