• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drag link questions

NewBreedCustom

NAXJA Forum User
This is in reference to an 89 xj, 4.0 with 206,000 miles.

1) Is the 89 xj drag link weaker/different from any other year? I have read both that it is and that it is not.

2) If it is weaker, what can I upgrade to?

3) What are the part numbers for the tie rod end on the passenger side knuckle attached to the drag link and the tie rod end attached to the pitman arm? I CANNOT find these!!

Ive NEVER seen em listed differently. Its listed as the same. They are sold as the draglink entire assy any time I have purchased them for a customer. Only real upgrade is beefed up steering all together

If you are looking at Autozone and they are telling you that they don't have your 'drag link', ask them to look up the passenger side tie rod end. The autozone near my house stopped listing them as drag links about a year ago.

Right outer, Moog pn DS1046. This goes to the passenger knuckle.

Right inner, Moog pn ES2222L This goes to the pitman arm.

NAPA Premium FTW! I just hate going to the NAPA website, otherwise I'd have looked up those part numbers.

Thanks guys for the quick responses, it is much appreciated from people I have never met in person!! Frank, I love supporting local, especially forum local, but I just cannot afford/justify to the boss right now that 1 ton is the way to go. Trust me, I want, I want, I want, but I use this as a camping and light offroad vehicle till I get my DD in november.

Hypoid, ds1046 comes up as a tie rod end but looks like the drag link through adavance auto, is there a way to spend less without buying the whole assembly, and just the end that attaches to the passenger knuckle?

The passenger side does not unthread. the entire part...from tie rod end to adjustment sleeve....is all one piece.

is there a way to spend less without buying the whole assembly, and just the end that attaches to the passenger knuckle?
They have us by the nads on that one. :mad:

You could always buy cheaper brands. I got fed up with getting them warrantied out.

Ok upgraded my tie rod to a zj, new tie rod ends all the way around, new drag link and ends all new hardware. Now my driver side tire is straight and passenger side is pointed in towards the engine. How do I adjust this? I have moved the sleeve on the drag link and tie rod and it won't adjust it??

Back