• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does anyone run an MSD ignition system???

I called Titan Engines and recommend Jacobs Offroad System for their 4.9

I dont think you would NEED to change to a performance ignition an most any vehicle with less then 10:1 c/r.

i installed the msd 6 box(with adapter harness kit for control module) and ss blaster coil(along with upgraded battery cables, ground strap, redtop batt, taylor plug wires) on my 89 about 6 years. i cant say it made a difference, but i have had zero problems with it and my 89 starts up every times. i also run the plugs at .050 gap.

Called Jacob's Electronics (now part of Mr Gasket) and that Offroad System was discontinued.

For any engine running FI , stock or near stock cam and sub 10 to 1 compression. The stock spark marker is hard to beat.
MSD and others got there rep in the days of carbed engines with unreliably air/fuel mixes, high(er) compression engines that came with points and condensers or EI that were not much better. They often ran .55 inch plug gaps that didn't help a bit.
ANY help in the firering that mess was welcome and worth the money. Now a days, not so much.

Last edited:
I'm just going to put on a brass or copper cap and matching rotor and be done with it. Thanks.

For any engine running FI , stock or near stock cam and sub 10 to 1 compression. The stock spark marker is hard to beat.
MSD and others got there rep in the days of carbed engines with unreliably air/fuel mixes, high(er) compression engines that came with points and condensers or EI that were not much better. They often ran .55 inch plug gaps that didn't help a bit.
ANY help in the firering that mess was welcome and worth the money. Now a days, not so much.

x2 and it helps at high rpms.

Back