• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dodge van Spring Write up

I will be installing a set of shackle relocators eventually, maybe even with some MJ springs. Im build a set of fullwidths for it as well as the front 3 link. Should take me a while........ Id like to have it done next winter. Will it happen............Maybe.............

I am in the process of building my dodge van leaf pack. you want a pack from a 1/2 ton older van, they have round front bushings.pulled mine from a 72 B200 van.factory spring rate according to tag in door was 1345#. removed the overload and will use the cherokee overload leaf.some of the B100 and 150's use just 4 leafs,no overload and are rated at 1200#.i am using the whole pack on my lift. with a 1" add a leaf block from offroad designs and a 1.5" RE boomerang for my 3" lift. if it doesn't net quite 3 inches i will add a dakota or exploder leaf as needed.Eaton spring co has about any factory eye bushing you can think of listed on there site.when i finish pack. i will post up exactly what i ended up doing,how much lift and how it all flexes. hope this helps others doing this bastard pack.i am using epoxy paint, teflon tips and liners.

You dont need the shackle relocators unless you looking for more lift. just need to move the forward mounting point forward 3 inches. the rear mounting point is the same as the dodge van leafs 31", so you will have the same good angle.

But the MJ Spring is longer and will flex more. The problem I am having now, is in order to keep the same amount of lift, I had to build a 5 leaf pack. It has ok downtravel but no uptravel and my spring rates are not matched. I have RE 3.5 springs up front which are way too soft. The rear packs are about 242 lb/in. I am thinking of just grabbing some stiffer front springs and try that. If I pul a leaf, i will be at 124 lb/in. To soft in the rear i think w/o a traction bar. I could of course take out some of the thicker leaves and add in some stock xj leafs or eplace all but the main spring with xj or mj leafs and see what happens.

You have to main leafs am i right? i think that's your problem.take the second main out and try puttin in a mj or exploder long leaf in there, instead of the other main. that will help with the lift, since they are spring under and arched. if you read goatmans threads his pack was mj main, chevy 1/2 tons,which are way thick and it flexes like mad. that second main isn't allowing up travel. only good for lift. monday i am having new bushings pressed in my 1/2 ton dodge van leafs.using all 4 leafs from dodge, 1 1/2" shackle and a 1" aal block.and the 4 leaf pack is about 5/8" thicker than xj pack. so i should be at 3" maybe a little more. running bds 3" coils up front 240 #/inch.

I had the same problem before as well. My spring rates are not matched up right now. The front is way soft compared to the rear. I am trying to fing a set of mj leafs and try some leafs out of that, Or maybe ill try the exploder leafs. You dont need to press those bushings in. I hammered the old ones out and hammered the new ones in. Took all but 10 minutes a spring.

Wow i heard they were a nightmare to get in and out.so your going to get rid of the 2nd main?, and the van leafs also? and try several mj or exploder leafs? that sounds like the way to go.have you thought about full length liners. eaton spring carries it and everything else including leaf tip inserts,u bolts and center pins. double lipped liner is 2.00 a ft.hoping my 4 leaf 1/2 ton works well.

Im thinking of getting some 3.5 inch ZJ front springs and see how they do. They are a good amount stiffer i think trhan the 3.5 XJ springs.

They ride good with a good shock.about the same price as RE coils, i paid 173.00 directly from bds. but you can buy through one of there vendors cheaper. and like i said, lifetime no questions asked policy for all there suspension products.there xj 3,4,6.5 and 8" coils are 240#/inches.they have a chart to look up leaf and coil spring specs.and they try and keep all there coils close as possible to advertised ride height. IMHO best coil on market today.with best warranty!

Im thinking of drillin out the weld nut for the front hanger to the larger size, but i think ill be screwed if i want to put the mj springs in there or something maybe being a smaller bolt.

If you want to install mj springs, the front eye has to be pushed 2.5" forward, if you look into some of goatmans threads, you can see how he did it. just welded a 2x3 or maybe it was a 3x3, 3/16 piece of square tubing up inside, with one side removed from it. and the rear will be good with your boomerang shackle. pm him for pics. i am taking the 1/2 ton dodge leaf 4 pack off my xj. droop is good but stuffage isnt. keeping the main and doing mix of xj leafs with it. TNT did this many moons ago and told me it flexed really well, including the stuffage. will fill you in when i am done! good luck.

I just rebuilt it. Ill have to see whats in there, but it think i want to put some mj springs in there. Good call on the front eye of the mj springs too. I knew they were long enough but didnt think of that when i posted, I guess i will drill em out for the biger bolt. LEt me know how you make out

Back