• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dodge van Spring Write up

2000bluexj said:
A boomerange does nothing for shackle angles. It just reduces a chqance of hitting the shackle box or bumper bolts. The only thing that affects shackle angle is spring length.

I realize this, but in typical applications they're used to remedy shackle angle issues as well. Also I still hold firm that they are a lousy solution.

I also realize you're doing this for certain reasons (fab ability/welding ability) but will still hold the opinion that the shackle hanger relocation is the superior alternative.

I hope to be developing and offering a relocation kit soon, as a Warrior Product, but there's a long list of other products to be developed. We'll see!

UPS showed up today!
HPIM0371.jpg

For anyone else doing this mod, the newer springs use an oval bushing. I had to go to a spring place to get them because i no one else i went to listed them, including dodge.
Im off to the spring store right now, so more pictures later, and who knows i may even have it done tonight. We will see!

i've called around and i can get both leaf packs for 60. i think i'm going to get them tomarrow. wanting to see what yours looks like before i go spend the money

Well, its in. A couple of things to note tho. The front bolt hole on thevan leaf is a little bigger than the xj so there is a little play in it. Also the rear bushings need to be cut down a little. I cut about 1/2 inch of each to fit the shackle over them. I put the Dodge van in place of the RE main. This required cutting a little off of the second leaf to clear the front bushing. The ride is def softer, I havent been out with them yet, but we will see. I may add the van overload to the bottom of the pack as an add a leaf, still not sre tho. Here are the pics

HPIM0377.jpg

HPIM0374.jpg

This is The van spring and the bottom 3 of the rubicon pack mocked up. i realized these were going to be too soft, so i added the second spring back in.

HPIM0376.jpg

This is the van second spring on top of the rubicon second leaf. As you can see you need to cut a little bit to match tha van so the front bushing will clear.

HPIM0378.jpg

New pack assembled.

HPIM0379.jpg

HPIM0380.jpg

New pack installed.
When i get a chance i will post how well they flex. But after thinking a little bit, they end up not being much lnger because you have squeeze them into the rubicon express arch. The rubicon pack i used are a 3.5 inch lift. I think if you used a flatter pack it would be better. But I will post up when i get a chance to test it out a little.

trying to get my guy to get them off a van, but mine are coming off an older dodge ram van, measused them-same size as above. only going to cost me 40 after all

law.74 said:
So how much did the shackle angle change?

I am wondering this as well, will it hit the stock box with a factory shackle? Not so good news hearing about the loose fit in the front spring hanger...I wonder if this is a problem with the older style leafs as well? I.e. non-oval bushing style?

Heres some info since I figured this out 5 years ago. I believe I was the original poster about this. 1/2 ton is the way to go, older ones use round front spring eyes.

http://www.generalspringkc.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=150&pg=1

70-97 1/2 Ton Van 4 2-1/2 23 x 31 1200 $89.99 Order / View

70-97 1/2, 3/4 Ton Van 4(3/1) 2-1/2 23 x 31 1600 $94.99 Order / View

70-97 1/2, 3/4, 1 Ton Van (1 Ton with Side Bar Shackle) 5(4/1) 2-1/2 23 x 31 1800 $99.99 Order / View

70-97 1/2, 3/4, 1 Ton Van (1 Ton with Side Bar Shackle) 6(5/1) 2-1/2 23 x 31 2500 $109.99 Order / View

72-97 1 Ton Van with one piece shackle 7(6/1) 2-1/2 23 x 30-3/4 2750 $119.99 Order / View

72-97 1 Ton Van with one piece shackle 7(6/1) 2-1/2 23 x 30-3/4 3250 $199.99 Order / View

2000bluexj said:
This is the van second spring on top of the rubicon second leaf. As you can see you need to cut a little bit to match the van so the front bushing will clear.

HPIM0378.jpg

New pack assembled.

HPIM0379.jpg

HPIM0380.jpg

New pack installed.
When i get a chance i will post how well they flex. But after thinking a little bit, they end up not being much lnger because you have squeeze them into the rubicon express arch. The rubicon pack i used are a 3.5 inch lift. I think if you used a flatter pack it would be better. But I will post up when i get a chance to test it out a little.

The shackle angle is greatly improved as will flex and ride quaility. You will be happy.

I'm building a MJ now and will be using 64" Chevy springs that have a centered spring pin. I should be able to get 18" of travel...

TNT- that is a 1.5 inch lift boomer shackle from RE. I needed it because it would interfere with the back of the shackle box if i used the stock extended one. I also need to some fitting so the bumper bolt doesnt interfere with the shackle.

I think i lost about an inch of lift, but it did level the jeep out. Before it sitting ass high a wee bit. I did get a chance to flex it out a little too.
HPIM0382.jpg

HPIM0387.jpg

HPIM0388.jpg

HPIM0396.jpg

Any pics of the rear stuffed and shackle angle?

The ride is def smoother on the street. I do have to clearance the rear of the shackle box as well as the bumper bolts as i think these are interfering with stuffage. I have to flex it out and check for interference. Will get some picture up i think i have some.

My man! C'mon with this thread brother, inquiring minds need to know! :cheers:

I personally have an older 4.5" Rusty's lift (full rear packs) that is sagged to death. The front coils are still butter, but the rear has had it. (And the shackle angle has ALWAYS SUCKED!) :(

I've had a set of under-sprung, (forget which, S-10 etc..) recommended packs for several months now and have yet to find an answer about correcting the shackle angle with the main leaf from said pack(s). (Drilling new holes is a biatch? I don't know.. read newby. lol) I'd still like to know though! :helpme:

Keep it up mayne! I need a fix, as I'm sure others may.. Hire a photographer, get that/those flexed angle(s)! :laugh3:

Back