• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff Magnets

This is what I have found so far... I like the higher temperature rating, as magnets can loose their magnetism at higher temperatures. This is one of the more expensive ones, but they have some smaller high temp options in the 2-5 dollar range. Pull force is almost 22 pounds! Worth the piece of mind IMO.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BY0X02SH
This is the type of magnets I use when I do gears. I found the black magnets do not hold up well.

Kastein: do you.have a trick for removing hard drive magets from their mounting plates withou shattering them?

Just bend the backing plate they are mounted to.
this guy knows what's up.

They are mounted to a chrome plated steel plate, just stick one end in a vise and carefully bend the other end with pliers till it peels the magnet off a bit. Then use a utility knife or other sharp wedge of some sort to peel it off the rest of the way.

Some of the nickel plating on the magnet may peel off and stay on the metal plate, just put that side toward the diff housing/cover when you stick it down. I like putting them on the cover because it's flatter and less likely to piss me off while I'm trying to get to it or work on the diff.

Back