• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff covers

I have a solid cover on my d-30 I like it for the price.It'll stop a bullet.....
one thing to gripe about though is getting some of the bolts tight is a pain due to the design.

Starboard M said:
Look at the difference between these two covers. The first is a Ruff Stuff one, other is a Riddler. Notice where the bolts are.
chryscover.jpg

image004.jpg

If you were to hit a rock, which do you think is going to slide over a rock better, compared to which is going to catch on a rock.

Here I was driving by braille and the lip caught this rock and put it into a rather compromising position. Obviously better driving would have fixed that, but you can also see where its been hit a couple times.
P1010973.jpg

Who cares... if you're getting hung on your front diff you're not hitting it hard enough.... :D
But honestly how often do you get "hung" up by your front diff... Especially the rear, when does it get hung?

Starboard M said:
Look at the difference between these two covers. The first is a Ruff Stuff one, other is a Riddler. Notice where the bolts are.
chryscover.jpg

image004.jpg

If you were to hit a rock, which do you think is going to slide over a rock better, compared to which is going to catch on a rock.

Here I was driving by braille and the lip caught this rock and put it into a rather compromising position. Obviously better driving would have fixed that, but you can also see where its been hit a couple times.
P1010973.jpg
When you do bugger a bolt then how are you going to get it out if you are on the trail. At least with the RS cover you can get to the bolts. Or you can get the RS cover with nifty countersunk bolts that are flush. You still take a chance of smashing a flush bolt and not being able to get an allen head in it but thats the chance you take. RS suports this site and donates free covers to give away at raflles. I'm sporting a raffle give away on my 8.8. Not to say the others are junk or you should only buy from a sponser but given a choice on two good products I would prefer to buy from sombody that helps XJ owners more than others. Josh wound up with a really nice diff guard from Rough country. That would be my second choice. It makes out like a ramp for sliding up over stuff.
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_armor.html

Ruff Stuff offers counter-sunk bolt holes.

thanks everyone, my biggest interest was to find out where the ones without a lip where available, i want something without a lip, since my lift isnt/wont be sky high so things will slide under easier if i dont have a spotter, etc.

Ruff Stuff's covers are 3/8".

GLOR have a 1/2" ring, but the cover is 1/4".

I think the Ruff Stuff covers would stand up just as good if not better in JP's little "test".

Oh, my Ruff Stuff cover sets flush on my 8.8 and has no lip at all. I just bolted it right up, no grinding.

Hale

I have a SOLID cover going on mine this weekend. I'll report back with pics after the install.

It's heavy as hell, and looks like it will sit pretty flush with the bottom of the diff.

Just caught this thread.......Lots of information flying back and forth!

Thought I would mention this but someone beat me to it, there is no lip overhanging on any of our covers, the rings are either exactly the same size as the diff itself or are slightly smaller if I thought the diff was strong enough to not need the extra strength.

On the cast covers, some are indeed very good and they all look great but if strength is what you want (and it should be) you need to buy the Chromo option and thats where the price goes way up.....Otherwise cast is only cast and plate is much stronger. the other side of cast is trail repair, cast dosen't crack too often, it shatters, review the test pics.......you can't repair a bunch of small pieces on the trail.....

Here's my new one; it actually fits a little higher than the bottom lip of the diff. There is no way it will catch the cover like the stocker it replaced.

HPIM0866.jpg

Back