• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did the ford 8.8 come in explorers with 4.10's open case?

They also came with 4.56s, here are the axle codes found on the drivers door.
------------------Code#
-------------------D2 = 4.10 L/S
1992 to 98---- 89 = 4.10 Open
1998 to 01---- 89 = 4.56 Open
--------------------K6 = 4.10 L/S
Axles capacity is rated @ 3200 lbs., 95 and up are disc/brake, ALL Explorer axles have 31 splined axle shafts.
Ford also has a c-clip eliminator kit for them as well as an axle girdle.

Last edited:
oh, I don't want it withs discs - i'm just getting an older one with drums - I could care less how it brakes LOL - I have my GTI with 14" rotors for that

don't care how it brakes? I would think that a lifted jeep that could do a hell of alot more damage than a GTI might be pretty important to stop....maybe thats just me though...:doh:

They also came with 4.56s, here are the axle codes found on the drivers door.
------------------Code#
-------------------D2 = 4.10 L/S
1992 to 98---- 89 = 4.10 Open
1998 to 01---- 89 = 4.56 Open
--------------------K6 = 4.10 L/S
Axles capacity is rated @ 3200 lbs., 95 and up are disc/brake, ALL Explorer axles have 31 splined axle shafts.
Ford also has a c-clip eliminator kit for them as well as an axle girdle.

the ford axle codes begining in 8 are for FX4 rangers not explorers. explorers never came with 4.56s.

also, an 8.8 never came open with 4.10s and drums. the older axles with 4.10s and drums had limited slips. The axle code for the 4.10s disks and open is 42

don't care how it brakes? I would think that a lifted jeep that could do a hell of alot more damage than a GTI might be pretty important to stop....maybe thats just me though...:doh:

well, the fastest I can go in my Jeep is about 55-60 (unbalanced swampers) and my GTI can go in the higher 140's - not that I ever drive it that fast anymore because I drive like an old man anymore but ... I drive my cherokee with extreme caution and really the ford drums are bigger so it will probably brake better anyhow

the ford axle codes begining in 8 are for FX4 rangers not explorers. explorers never came with 4.56s.

also, an 8.8 never came open with 4.10s and drums. the older axles with 4.10s and drums had limited slips. The axle code for the 4.10s disks and open is 42

Any downside to using a ranger 8.8 instead of a sploder? Same width,spline count ,and what not?

Last edited:
If I swap in my 8.8 that I have on hand for the 8.25, I will have to get a flange adapter. Will this increase the distance of the yoke to axle center enough that I will have to get a shorter driveshaft?

Jeez, they want $350 here for an 8.8......
$350 for a d30 and then you have to regear....

thats rediculous - I just scrapped an entire XJ last week and got $254 for it - a scrapyard D30 is no way worth $350 - and neither is an explorer rear - no matter if we like these 8.8's or not for builds they are just not worth that much for a scrap part

ok, well not that I dont believe you but anywhere else online that i've read about this says ALL explorer 8.8's are 31 spline - I havent read otherwise BUT ya never know who to believe
like here on this ford ranger website it says they are all 31 spline: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Explorer8_8.html
and here http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

You are right, and I apologize if I mislead you in any way. When I did my swap almost all the articles that I read stated to make sure to get a 96 and up that has disc brakes. Now, when I searched for a few minutes, I came across an article that states that all 91 and up Explorer shafts had 31 spline axles. Here are a few articles that I pulled up real quick.

One website says this:
In 1995 to 2000 trim, the Ford Explorer 8.8 rear diff is roughly the same width as the Dana 35 (3/4-1" narrower), has enormous tubes (3.25" diameter), an 8.8" ring gear, 31 spline axle shafts, factory disk brakes and come with 3.55/3.73 or 4.11 gears and sometimes a Trac-Lok diff. (Pre-95 Ford 8.8's and those found in Rangers and mustangs usually come with 28 spline shafts and drum brakes.)
http://members.cox.net/rough-riders/tech_page/ford8.8/ford8_8.html

Another website says this:
The '95 and newer were also factory equipped with 31 spline axle shafts. The pre-'95 8.8"s came equipped with a weaker (28)-spline axle shafts.
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=261419

A ranger website says this:
Most Rangers are equipped with the Ford 7.5-inch rear axle with several exceptions:

1) 1986-up "Incomplete vehicles" also known as "Chassis Cabs" were frequently equipped with 8.8" 28-spline axles, the '86-88 examples are distinctive as they are the only 8.8" Ranger rears that have no provisions for a RABS sensor.

2) 1990 & up 4.0-liter Rangers. These are ALWAYS equipped with the 8.8-inch 28-spline rear axle.

3) 1998-up 4x4 supercab Rangers regardless of powerplant are frequently equipped with 8.8" axles
4) FX4 Rangers 99-current come equipped with an 8.8 rear and 31-spline axles with either 4.10 or 4.56 axle ratios.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

Notice that some rangers came with 31 spline shafts, but it was only the 99 and up FX4 ones.

Good luck with the swap.

Back