• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dicks little white XJ

Re: Dicks LCOG Build

hmm. well i havent updated this in a while. lets go over some changes to the build and whats going on now and next weekend.

right now the front axle is out. its getting geared to match the new rear axle with 4.56's. its also getting trussed and im picking this up monday. the front is locked with the spartan. i picked up a detroit locked 8.25 with 4.56' this week and that goes in tonight. should be rolling by monday or tuesday next week.

list of parts recently acquired:

arb compressor for oba and a hose kit
f/r diff covers from ruff stuff
currie hd steering
yellow top
tera 2low
4.5 rough country lift
sye
cv rear shaft
jcr front winch bumper
xrc10 winch
picking up 35s next week
fixed the mounting location of the cb so i dont break it again
4.56 gears for the 30
truss(custom)
novak conversions cable t/c linkage(definitely love this)
suspension seats

Im pretty sure that wraps up the parts list. next weekend(1/21) I go to woodland to see my fellow bod members and ex bod members and we are putting everything together. when i drive home on sunday, ill be lifted locked and ready to break shit. ill be sure to take pictures between beers and wrenching to update what ive got.

Believe it or not I have read some good reviews on the Rough Country long arm kit. The only complaint I could really find was some mounting bolts that stick though the belly pan.

Dave

He bought all that and all I could afford was two grade 8 bolts to mount an upper control arm.

I thought I read a post that you were buying a house? Broke my ass!

I started hauling scrap on my days off so I could buy an install kit and pay labor to install the install kit.

hmm. well i havent updated this in a while. lets go over some changes to the build and whats going on now and next weekend.

right now the front axle is out. its getting geared to match the new rear axle with 4.56's. its also getting trussed and im picking this up monday. the front is locked with the spartan. i picked up a detroit locked 8.25 with 4.56' this week and that goes in tonight. should be rolling by monday or tuesday next week.

list of parts recently acquired:

arb compressor for oba and a hose kit
f/r diff covers from ruff stuff
currie hd steering
yellow top
tera 2low
4.5 rough country lift
sye
cv rear shaft
jcr front winch bumper
xrc10 winch
picking up 35s next week
fixed the mounting location of the cb so i dont break it again
4.56 gears for the 30
truss(custom)
novak conversions cable t/c linkage(definitely love this)
suspension seats

Im pretty sure that wraps up the parts list. next weekend(1/21) I go to woodland to see my fellow bod members and ex bod members and we are putting everything together. when i drive home on sunday, ill be lifted locked and ready to break shit. ill be sure to take pictures between beers and wrenching to update what ive got.

I am now living vicariously though you and Dustin. I remember when I had a good job a house and money to burn.
Damn bad economy!

Spend while you got it and have fun!

Dave

i just wanted to provide a little feedback on one of the parts i put on the jeep. yesterday when installing the axle, i also installed my new RuffStuff diff cover for the 8.25.

First impressions: this thing is beef. heavy as hell and looks like it will take a beating. i seriously doubt if i could dent this thing with the kind of wheeling i do. nice welds. has a good bit of welding slag inside the cover. thanks to reading what torx did i took the wire wheel to it and cleaned it right up. Also, doesnt come with new extended hardware and they dont denote that it doesnt. they also dont say it does, so its just a fail to assume.

On to the install. got it cleaned up and ready to put on. rtv it and put the first bolt through the hole. hand tighten them all around. then when i grab my wratchet to torque them down, there isnt enough cut around the holes to fit the socket all the way down. so i can only torgue it down somewhat, move to a open end wrench, and proceed to start rounding off the new hardware cause i cant get the open end wrench completely around the bolt head either.

wtf guys. get your shit together. qc failed onto that.

overall after getting it installed, im happy with it cause its thicker than any other metal on the jeep and will take a beating.

i just wanted to provide a little feedback on one of the parts i put on the jeep. yesterday when installing the axle, i also installed my new RuffStuff diff cover for the 8.25.

First impressions: this thing is beef. heavy as hell and looks like it will take a beating. i seriously doubt if i could dent this thing with the kind of wheeling i do. nice welds. has a good bit of welding slag inside the cover. thanks to reading what torx did i took the wire wheel to it and cleaned it right up. Also, doesnt come with new extended hardware and they dont denote that it doesnt. they also dont say it does, so its just a fail to assume.

On to the install. got it cleaned up and ready to put on. rtv it and put the first bolt through the hole. hand tighten them all around. then when i grab my wratchet to torque them down, there isnt enough cut around the holes to fit the socket all the way down. so i can only torgue it down somewhat, move to a open end wrench, and proceed to start rounding off the new hardware cause i cant get the open end wrench completely around the bolt head either.

overall after getting it installed, im happy with it cause its thicker than any other metal on the jeep and will take a beating.

Making the additions you want would decrease strength or increase cost. You really won't care much after you hit a couple rocks.

hardware is 6 dollars. i literally needed 1mm more space. im sure this cant be the same way for everyone shipped. one of the bolt holes had enough space. just one. i believe that indicates it to be just a slight miss on their part. at least thats my thought process. and for 110+ for a diff cover, they can eat a $6 cost.

so you are complaining about buying bolts and not being able to get a socket on the bolt head?

no where on ruffs website does it say it comes with hardware. common sense would then kick in and say you need to buy hardware.

my thin walled socket fit just fine on my 8.8 ruffs diff cover.......

im complaining they did not machine enough space around the hole to fit a standard socket. and if i need a "thin" socket they should let me know to use one(read: get one. I dont have one of these mythical creatures). my craftsman sockets are not super thick either.

and i get that as far as hardware goes. thats why i included it was a fail to assume on my part.

im gonna put my 30 cover on, on monday. ill see how that goes. one of the holes had enough room if only just. but it did. which is why it leads me to believe the machining was just a little off.

Last edited:
Also I'm sure they figure if you are buying a cover like this from them. The buyer would know how to install it with out every little thing being explained in fine detail, It's not like their running a bank.

I'm not knocking you for being a banker. But people like me don't run into people like you on the trail often.

Dave

Also I'm sure they figure if you are buying a cover like this from them. The buyer would know how to install it with out every little thing being explained in fine detail, It's not like their running a bank.

I'm not knocking you for being a banker. But people like me don't run into people like you on the trail often.

Dave

:worship:

Back