• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

deep water fording kit!!!

outlander said:
nah the rv sewer hose has steel spiraling through it...it would take alot of pooh...or ummm vacuum for it to collapse

I meant suck in lengthwise...unslinky lol.

BlueCuda said:
I bet its very little. If it pulled very hard the stock airbox to throttle body hose would collapse flat.
Are you smoking crack? No really, are you?

Revved up it's a shitload of vacuum and will create negative pressure in those lines!

Outlander, do yourself a favor and change thigns up. Run those vents high and forget about them (You can run them up the D pillar discretely if you want).

PS - The OEM hose is stout, ever try squeezing it?

GSequoia said:
Are you smoking crack? No really, are you?

Revved up it's a shitload of vacuum and will create negative pressure in those lines!

Outlander, do yourself a favor and change thigns up. Run those vents high and forget about them (You can run them up the D pillar discretely if you want).

PS - The OEM hose is stout, ever try squeezing it?

WTF was that response for ass?

I am sure its not nearly as much vaccuum as you think. There is alot of airflow yes but very little vaccuum.

Any guesses on how much vacuum in inches is in your intake manifold when you are wide open? ZERO go put a guage on there and try it out, so same goes for the intake tube.

If you pull enough vaccuum to get diff fluid, tranny fluid, anything through those hoses from the back of the jeep you have another problem, probably an air filter with saran wrap stuck to it.

Not sure if I still have my boost/vac gauge from my conquest in my toolbox or not. If I do I will hook it to my stock airbox with my dirty ass air filter and go see what kind of suck my stroker motor can pull on the airbox. It won't be much. Enjoy your crack.

I have a Vaccum gauge in my xj and even at half throttle it has just about no vacuum whatsoever. i dont see it there too much. i use it so i get better gas mileage. just my .02

Setup looks awesome. idk if i would ever need to do it by me but its a smart setup with no problems as i can see.:thumbup:

uhm if air is flowing into the your motor with zero vacuum then how is the air getting to you cylinders?You motor is an air pump which means its creating a suction ie vacuum.

Wil Badger said:
uhm if air is flowing into the your motor with zero vacuum then how is the air getting to you cylinders?You motor is an air pump which means its creating a suction ie vacuum.

How much vacuum do you create with your lungs when you inhale? We can fill our lungs to about a liter of air in what, 1-2 seconds? IIRC, we create a vacuum of much less than 1 psi to inhale. Apparently, 1.7 psi of air pressure to fill our lungs is enough to cause instant death.

http://www.cganet.com/N2O/helium_safety.asp

Now, if you could fill your lungs through a straw in 1-2 seconds, there would have to be a large difference on pressure between your lungs and the air, which isn't possible unless you have an actual "iron lung".

So like stated above, unless you have the intake on your air box almost completely plugged, (highly restrictive), you aren't going to measure a large difference in pressure (ie, vacuum).

Whats your point?Thats great but in order to suck air in its a vacuum.Whether its .01 psi or 20 psi its still a vacuum.If its not enough to pull water in through the seals great buts its still a vacuum.So his statement of it being zero vacuum is wrong.

i never said zero vacuum i said just about zero vacuum if you can read. so theres not as much vacuum since in the intake would be fully open or so and the air would be able to move alot faster.

the point that is being missed is the air volume of the airbox......if there was a very small volume(relatively speaking)in the air box sure it would be more prone to sucking enough air through the axle,tranny vents to cause a problem because there would be a very high vacuum.
This sounds like a mythbusters episode.....

Before you go and get all shit mouthed, who said I was talking you ?

BlueCuda said:
Any guesses on how much vacuum in inches is in your intake manifold when you are wide open? ZERO go put a guage on there and try it out, so same goes for the intake tube.

So now that I have proven I can read why not take your own advice.

Wil Badger said:
Before you go and get all shit mouthed, who said I was talking you ?

So now that I have proven I can read why not take your own advice.

Before you get all shit mouthed you migth go back and look to see who I was talking to....not you ;)

Like someone else posted, when your under a load there is little to know vaccuum in the manifold. There is airflow but its just the air rushing in to fill a low pressure area as far as I know. I am no scientist but I do know how to read a vaccuum gauge. :D

ok, an engine does not "suck" in air. when the piston goes down it will create an area of lower than atmospheric pressure and the 14.7 or so pounds of pressure we have surrounding us will then rush into the engine. in other words it does not get sucked in but rather pushed in.
nice work, nothing to worry about.

flht1997 said:
ok, an engine does not "suck" in air. when the piston goes down it will create an area of lower than atmospheric pressure and the 14.7 or so pounds of pressure we have surrounding us will then rush into the engine. in other words it does not get sucked in but rather pushed in.
nice work, nothing to worry about.

Thats what I was looking for. If you have measurabel vaccuum at wide open you have a restriction in your intake system somewhere. Or your motor is so badass you need a bigger TB lol.

I have to appologize for the way I respond to GSequoya(sp) earlier, didn't mean to call him an ass. That was before my post work beer :D.

A engine with good rings can pull about 16-20inches/hg at idle. But at WOT it will be close to zero. That is manifold vacuum, where before the throttle body (ported vacuum) is going to be the opposite of maniflod vacuum at WOT. (I have never put a vacuum gauge on ported vacuum to see what the numbers are).

I'm sure its not that big of deal using the intake box although it does use the intake box as the valve cover breathers and makeshift PCV system...

I actually never thought of the distributor breather untill I read this thread, I knew it was there but it just didn't click in my mind....Cool stuff.

Last edited:
Tommy4949 said:
I meant to ask before, how did you move the ECU into the engine compartment? Splicing wires, did you use another wiring harness to make it longer or what?

Its in the cab from the factory....
(quote:myself)
"I need to get two 12v marine sump pumps to mount inside under the front seats to pump h2o out of the cab.They'll be wired into a toggle switch and when the water level starts to rise in the floorboards I'll flick the switch so my interior/computer/feet stay dry"

wont water drain down into it through the vent at the bottom of the windeshield if you wash your jeep? or when its raining real hard? or is there somthing to keep the water?

I've been driving with that exact same snorkle setup for 2 years with no problems. It cost about $10 in parts and is very effective. It would take being submerged above the windshield cowl to get a significant amount of water in there, unless you're just sitting in some water, at which point the drain holes in the airbox would seep water in that way. A small amount might make it in during a hard rain, but it isn't enough to make it past the filter or cause any serious damage, and there it will just drain out the bottom of the airbox anyways.

Its in the cab from the factory....
(quote:myself)
"I need to get two 12v marine sump pumps to mount inside under the front seats to pump h2o out of the cab.They'll be wired into a toggle switch and when the water level starts to rise in the floorboards I'll flick the switch so my interior/computer/feet stay dry"

I know it's been a while on this thread, but I have been busy and forgot about this topic. So the Renix XJs have the computer in the passenger's compartment? Anyone relocate their 91-96 ECU hat s right behind the water funnel of a CAI behind the headlight?

If so how in the heck did you move it?

Back