• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 with 31's will there be problems?

it was a manual.

this is where he broke. passenger U-joint went to hell, destroyed the ears on the outer shaft.

P1070086.jpg

getting winched back down.
P1070093.jpg

My brother blew up 2nd gear in his 85 Nissan doing the same, except this time was to show off at a couple knuckleheads in their Civic thinking they were cool. Roasted the tires all the way through first, shifted into second and POP! followed by a face saving shift into 3rd...:)

lol we had to take out the snapped drive shaft and put a coke bottle with duct tape in the yoke and limp home with our tails between are legs. he drove around like that for like 3 weeks until he got a drive shaft made at Levine's it was a much thicker better built shaft i might add.

Back in the day....I tore up a D44 with 31x13.50 on pavement.... I had a CJ5 with healthy 304. I was show-boating doing wheelies...Lo Range, wind up the V8 like an 8 day clock... Drop the clutch and parts of the D44 exited through the diff cover.

I am much older and wiser now... and Do not do such stupid things now.

spring forward about 15 years.... I ran 31x10.50 on the D35 LSD with 3.55 gears without issue. I was easy with it and I never broke it. I have however seen them break with just 31's

Definately luck of the draw with a d35. I've seen them break on stock tires. I ran mine with 4.88's, a powertrax, and heavy 35x14.50 pitbulls on steel beadlocks through deer valley, slick rock, and the rubicon and broke front 30 shafts on 2 consecutive trips. Then i blew up the front ring and pinion recovering a rolled wagoneer at hollister. My 35 was never a problem. Swapped to a 60 when I went to a 44 in the front only because I had it.

it costs $100 to never have to worry about it again, and it bolts in, and can be found in any decent junkyard in the country. No excuses. Why are we even having this discussion again?

Ran 36's on a d35/d30 combo and never had a issue, the ground clearence loss going to a d44/8.25 or 8.8 simply ain't worth the time or hassle

it costs $100 to never have to worry about it again, and it bolts in, and can be found in any decent junkyard in the country. No excuses. Why are we even having this discussion again?

just knowing how long i can run it till i can get one cause i would have to get it regeared as well.

If you are on a budget as far as the regear ( like I was)
And you only plan on going 32's (33" for me)
You might consider looking for an 8.8 with 4.10 gears, they can be had with disc brakes for around 200, which is roughly the cost of a gear set. Then you only have to pay parts and labor for one axle.

Your 35 will be good until it won't. Was wheeling with a friend in a TJ when he broke his 35. no spare shafts, took hours to limp him back to camp, and destroyed a tire in the process. Really put a damper on his weekend.

Ran 36's on a d35/d30 combo and never had a issue, the ground clearence loss going to a d44/8.25 or 8.8 simply ain't worth the time or hassle

Loss of ground clearance with an 8.25? What half an inch or less?

im going the 8.25 route with 3.55's dont plan on going anything bigger than 31's i choose to run a smaller tire because you get more articulation

Back