• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30 upgrades

hopefully that will all change.

I am planning to solve my shaft problems so i can move onto more expensive things to break like t-cases!

"my repair time is severly affecting my seat time"

moneypitxj said:
i kinda screwed up. i put an arb in a dana 30 and left the stock splined axles. what are some options i can do to strengthen it up and like alloy axles and such? :doh: im in it for the long hual now.

Have you broken anything before? If not don't worry about it. You probably won't start breaking things if you drive smart.

Mark Hinkley said:
Cheap,

Funny? What is funny? So you're saying because you wheel it there shouldn't be any options out there for people? Not sure if that is what you mean, maybe you could clarify?

As I said 30/30 is a great option for people who are thinking of building their 30 up. Not everyone wants to change axle housings.

BTW FYI the 5-760=297x with different seals, so what's the point there?
the whole "you need to wheel more" thing...

that struck a nerve... my junk's been out of comission for a couple weeks and you have NO IDEA how bad I wanna go wheelin' right now.

I thought that the big difference between the 297 and the 760 was cast vs. forged crosses?

OK while we are talking about polishing a turdie, what do you guys think is the stronger set up:

Super 30 (ARB, 30 spline alloy shafts)

or

Warn chromo shafts (27 spline?) + ARB

?????

Jes said:
Ya, but you were running 38.5s!
A buddy did this with 35s, he is a bit heavier on that skinny pedal :D

CheapXJ said:
the whole "you need to wheel more" thing...

that struck a nerve... my junk's been out of comission for a couple weeks and you have NO IDEA how bad I wanna go wheelin' right now.

I thought that the big difference between the 297 and the 760 was cast vs. forged crosses?

YA that is a bitch not being able to wheel when you really want to.

The 760 thing is a Internet myth!

mark

EricsXJ said:
OK while we are talking about polishing a turdie, what do you guys think is the stronger set up:

Super 30 (ARB, 30 spline alloy shafts)

or

Warn chromo shafts (27 spline?) + ARB

?????

30/30 kit

The shafts are basically the same alloy to alloy (yes people have their mfg preferences) so bigger shafts is the way to go.

mark

Question.. Is it easy find Dana 44 front axle for 96 XJ because I am thinking want buy a set of 35" tires. I was told that I can not use 4.88 gear for Dana 30. I tried look around to find Dana 44 axle for front swap. It seems hard find one. Let me know thanks.

If the joints keep breaking on the Dana 30 why is going to a Dana 44 any better? Does the Dana 44 not use a 760x joint also?

I understand that the Dana 44 is stronger because of the bigger ring gear and housing but dont see the point in swaping one in if it has the same size joints as the Dana 30. If your going to go through the trouble of swaping axles why not go with a 60 and get bigger and stronger everything?

AARON

Yep, xou get a stronger differential, stronger gears and stronger shafts but you rely on the same u-joint size.

Sure you can put a CTM in there but you also have to go for chromoly axles. At this price (axle, chromoly shafts) you nearly can get a D60 to put in. A 60 is just a few $$$s more than a 44 but gives a lot more beef to rely on. :D

MrShoeBoy said:
If the joints keep breaking on the Dana 30 why is going to a Dana 44 any better? Does the Dana 44 not use a 760x joint also?

I understand that the Dana 44 is stronger because of the bigger ring gear and housing but dont see the point in swaping one in if it has the same size joints as the Dana 30. If your going to go through the trouble of swaping axles why not go with a 60 and get bigger and stronger everything?

AARON

You're saying something I haven't brought up. This is correct. The 44s use the same size joint 5-760s/297x. The larger ring gear is the real key here between the two. If you want to go anything lower geared than 4.88s than a 44 change is they way to go. However, what I believe is why not use the parts you have already and build them if you're not looking for bigger joints or bigger ringer for the point of lower gears, than 4.88.

mark

going to a 44 has nothing to do with the joints....

depending on which 44 yer going with:

thicker tubes
stronger housing
bigger balljoints
stouter knuckles
bolt-on true hi-steer
hubs
serviceable bearings
ability to run numerically high gear ratios
stronger gear sets

nuff said

Yep, and as i said you keep the weak link, the u-joint. Also the ears of the axles are comparable to the D30 ears so an upgrade to chromoly shafts is essential. And this is where it comes to determine the benefit of going big. This is why i decided to skip the 44 and put in a 60. I get 35 spline all around, much stronger knuckles (maybe king pin knuckles) and ball joints and a real huge piece of metal called u-joint. :D

What is the difference in a D44 to a D60 in cost? 1000$ ? :)

That's why I am not rich afford buy a dana 60 axle. I am sure Dana 60 axle is very strong. I just wanted buck bang affordable using Dana 44 that allow me use 4.88 gear run properly with 35" tires on my XJ jeep. You mean Dana 44's shaft and joint are weak. I thought there have aftermarket upgrade that makes very strong and hardened joint/shaft?

Correct me if i am wrong, Is Rubbicon TJ jeep uses Dana 44 front axle? The Rubbicon TJ jeep axle that i saw my friend has Rubbicon. It looks awesome very beef and strong can ability do rock crawling. His Rubbicon TJ jeep also uses 35" tires.

What is your recommend swap the front axle and which vehicle's front axle that can upgrade on Dana 30 on the XJ jeep with little modification or zero. I never have that experience with swap front axle.

Beezil said:

thicker tubes
stronger housing
bigger balljoints
stouter knuckles
bolt-on true hi-steer
hubs
serviceable bearings
stronger gear sets

nuff said

thicker tubes SLEEVE THE 30
stronger housing OK
bigger balljoints WHAT?
stouter knuckles NO
bolt-on true hi-steer YES
hubs ADD THEM
serviceable bearings ADD THEM
ability to run numerically high gear ratios TRUE BUT 4.56 IS GOOD ENOUGH
stronger gear sets BIGGER YES, SO!

:D

hinkley

My old D30 was plenty stout & I wheeled the hell out of it. But if I had it to do over again it would've been cheaper to buy a HPD44 & just install some gears & a locker.

Warn Hub Conversion $850
Machined Rotors & new studs $200
Warn inners $700
Hi-steer $200
4.56 gears $200
Lincoln Locker $free

I was running 35s on this axle & never broke anything in it.

Mark, a 1/2 ton D44 doesn't have bigger balljoints than a D30? I know that my 3/4 ton D44 does have bigger ones, it's the same knuckles out as a D60.

so let's say this:

you want to run 4.88 gears in a trussed/sleeved D30 with D44 inner and outer knuckles, alloy shafts CTMs etc.

for shaft failure (other than u-joints) is it torque loading or deflection of the housing that's MORE associated to making a shaft fail?

what will the weak point be now? (let's say there's a detroit in there for the sake of discussion)

Beezil said:

thicker tubes
stronger housing
bigger balljoints
stouter knuckles
bolt-on true hi-steer
hubs
serviceable bearings
stronger gear sets
nuff said

Why is going with a 44 have nothing to do with joints? It should have everything to do with the joints. If you are breaking the joints on your 30 you will break the joints on the 44. Both axles use the same 760x joint. Now you can upgrade to alloy shafts and CTMs but why would you need to upgrade to CTMs if the 44 is so strong? :laugh3:

BUT if you are breaking the gears, shafts, knuckles, or housing then a 44 is a worth while upgrade. Going with lower gearing is a plus too. I just dont see what all the hype is about a 44 vs a 30, it still uses the same essential component. A weak u-joint :moon:

AARON

hinkley....

yes, you just wanted to mess with me at the cost of embarrasing yourself....

there's not one once of spobi in my list of 44-pros....

ya jackass!

:laugh:

Back