• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30 truss

In all seriousness, nice work. But your design sucks...why wouldn't you listen to the people you asked? There is a reason that everyone else builds them on top.

i chose to build it on bottom so i could stretch the truss all the way from C to C.
for what i do with my xj, the loss of clearance isnt too much of an issue. i live in a sandy area, its mostly a beach goer with occasionally rocks. and besides, if you pick your lines good enough, you dont have to worry. who picks lines that force you to straddle large boulders anyways?
i did take into consideration others opinions, i just felt that with what im doing, this works better. i also gusseted the C's and did a 1 peice axle conversion as well.

nice fab work. looks good. all that matters is that it works for you and what you need it for.

thanks

.. i guess didnt get the memo stating naxja's merger with pirate
haha jk

i chose to build it on bottom so i could stretch the truss all the way from C to C.
for what i do with my xj, the loss of clearance isnt too much of an issue. i live in a sandy area, its mostly a beach goer with occasionally rocks.
Makes sense I guess, but you limit yourself in the longrun...imo
and besides, if you pick your lines good enough, you dont have to worry. who picks lines that force you to straddle large boulders anyways?
I guess if you arent use to running in the rocks you wouldn't understand. With your assumption you are saying there is no reason for skidplates as long as you pick the right lines?
Wasn't knocking your build man, it's good work. I was just asking why you asked for opinions just to blow them off. Good job again and I'm glad you like it.

you can stretch a truss from C-C on top, you just have to spend a little bit more time...

and that bit about not straddling rocks is funny... it was a joke rite?

Im about to start on a truss for the 30. Its a disconnect housing with a one peice passenger axle shaft conversion. I was wondering if anyone has bought a premade truss and modded it to fit the disconnect housing? Also, i know the center section and the passenger UCA mount are cast steel. Do i still have to preheat the area before welding? And i am also going to gusset the C's, should i remove the balljoints or will they be ok?

on a side note...
feel free to post pics, I havent started yet and am still looking for ideas

what i got out of his opening poost was that he was wondering if anybody modded a bought truss to fit the disco d30.
i also got he was asking if he should pre heat the cast section of the uca mount before weld.
he also asked for pics and if it would be ok to leave the balljoints in while welding/gusseting the c's.
from the opening post i did not see where he was asking for opinions how to build his truss. he did want ideas and not to be told how to truss his d30.
this is just my observation. "To each, There own"

A modified bought truss would go on top...Correct? Unless you know of a company that sells an underneath truss I am not aware of.

A modified bought truss would go on top...Correct? Unless you know of a company that sells an underneath truss I am not aware of.

as far as i know you are correct. he also stated that he decided to truss the bottom instead.i personaly don't care which way he or anybody else goes about fabing their own stuff.he is the one driving it and knows how and where he drives it. although everyone has an opinion,that dosen't mean it is right or wrong. i just don't like to see people being pick at or on for their ideas or ways of doing things. as i will always say "To Each Their Own"

Last edited:
as far as i know you are correct. he also stated that he decided to truss the bottom instead.i personaly don't care which way he or anybody else goes about fabing their own stuff.he is the one driving it and knows how and where he drives it. although everyone has an opinion,that dosen't mean it is right or wrong. i just don't like to see people being pick at or on for their ideas or ways of doing things. as i will always say "To Each Their Own"

thanks for the support lol
i appreciate it

Wasn't knocking your build man, it's good work. I was just asking why you asked for opinions just to blow them off. Good job again and I'm glad you like it.

when you ask for someones opinion, do you automatically do what they say? what if someones opinion of a good time is cutting themselves and then pouring salt into their wounds? are you going to do it?
an opinion is JUST an opinion, something to get ideas from and a way to see others points of view. if you are going to follow everyones opinions on how to do things, well you might as well let them dictate what you do, what you build, how you live etc... that doesnt mean that you dont take them into account, and it certainly doesnt mean that you have to or should do it
an opinion is an opinion, not a law or garuantee

my opinion is that you sell your xj and buy a toyota. are you going to do that? hell no because its just my opinion right?

(dont buy a toyota =])

You're right I'm an idiot I don't understand what an opinion is, thanks for clearing it up for me. Have a good day.

..no disrespect intended with my previous post

So i realize that this thread is 2 1/2 years old but i just thought id give an update on the op's "rock plow". i go wheelin with andrew all the time. watch him break. drink his beer. laugh at him. and he talks me into some trechorous things every now and again and always spots lines for me that HE wants to see :D. so in the last couple years i can say that his "rock plow" has not been an issue and has plenty of clearence on 35s.

Back