• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom Width HP44 Build and Tech

Looks great. One thing to mention is your lower shock mounts. I did the same mounting position on my HPD44 and it put my shocks at a bit of an angle because the lower mount was further forward than the upper mount. This caused one of my nice new $100 BBCS shocks to blow out and bend a shaft on my trial run down a really easy trail. :gonnablow

How is your turning radius compared to either stock or the D30 with the WJ brakes?
What did you do with the D30?

I like your grill too, in fact the entire rig looks sharp from what I can see.

Randy

Randy_66 said:
How is your turning radius compared to either stock or the D30 with the WJ brakes?
What did you do with the D30?

I like your grill too, in fact the entire rig looks sharp from what I can see.

Randy

The turning radius is basically the same as it was with the HP dana 30. I originally lost quit abit of my turn radius running PhatJeeps steering but gained it back when I built my own steering when I built my WJ brake conversion and built my own steering set up. I am very happy with the steering set up. I was concerned with the long high steer arms that I would loose some of my turning radius and would not be able to steer stop to stop but with the waggy pitman are that has around an addition inch in length it works perfect.

desracing said:
Who did you order your custom length axles from? How much were they?

I order mine from Rockstomper and they were more than I would have liked to pay. You can get them from Butch on Pirate for around $550 delivered.

desracing said:
hey Cruzin Illusion, whats the clearence like between the driveshaft and header? Any problems with anything hitting or rubbing?

There is plenty of room and I have no clearance issues, but I am running a custom exhaust that was installed before the build. I know this kit has been installed on a TJ with stock exhaust and it still had plenty of clearance. It actually has better clearance than my HP Dana 30.

onetallmj said:
So how much do you figure you have in to this project minus labor?

I figure I have around $2500.00 into the build, but I did not scimp on any parts. All the parts are basically new except for the spindles, flat top knuckles, and break calipers brackets.

ARB
5.13 gears
Chevy Flat Top Knuckles
PMP High Steer Arms
PMP TRE's
New Loaded Calipers
New Ford Hub and Rotors
Warn Premium Hubs
Riddler Chromoly Diff Cover
TNT HP Dana 44 Conversion Kit
TNT Tie Rod and Drag Link
TNT Axle Side Trackbar Bracket
TNT Frame Side Trackbar Bracket
TNT Trackbar
Custom Length Alloy USA chromoly shafts
Yukon Super Joints
Steel Braided ARB Line
All new seals and bearings
1976 Ford F-150 HP Dana 44 with 1/2 tubes
New steel braided break lines
New vent hose

Cruzin Illusion said:
1976 Ford F-150 HP Dana 44 with 1/2 tubes

Do all of this model axle have .5" tubes? or are there some with thinner wall tubes?

Not sure if that is what you were referring to or not but got me thinking. Nice clean build, definitely a good reference for me to use.

desracing said:
What diameter tubes do you have? Do you have the 2.750 x .500? Do you know if all the early 70's ford dana 44's use the same axle tube size?

Most of the '77 and earlier axles with the weld on radius arm mounts have .5" tubes, the '78 and '79 axles with the cast on radius arms used the thinner tubes. There are some exceptions to this, so the best thing to do is to check the axle you are looking at.

desracing said:
What axle tube diameter does the TnT conversion kit work best with?
I can't see where it would make any difference. The way the truss sits on the axle tubes it would fix any diameter of tube. Unless the tubes were so small that they fit into the truss.

truss.jpg

I made this as a quick cross cut view of how the truss (green) would sit on most any sized axle tube.

Just remember that their D44 Conversion Kit doesn't come with anything to mount the trackbar to the axle, and the website doesn't make mention of this.

Last edited:
What about the coil spring brackets? What size diameter do the work with? The reason i am asking is i have a chance at picking up a 74 f150 hp44 but it only has the 2.750 diameter tubes.

This is a great thread write up and thanks. What did your wms/wms come out at? I have an hp44 from a ’76 f150 and haven’t decided whether to narrow it or keep it full width. It’s specified to be 66” wms/wms. If you narrowed 4.9” then you were going for 61” I assume.
tipshades.gif

XJ20 said:
This is a great thread write up and thanks. What did your wms/wms come out at? I have an hp44 from a ’76 f150 and haven’t decided whether to narrow it or keep it full width. It’s specified to be 66” wms/wms. If you narrowed 4.9” then you were going for 61” I assume.
tipshades.gif

That is what I ended up with. The one thing I think anyone should do narrrowing an axle or not is to get your caster set correctly. I can not believe how much better it drives down the road with the caster set at 5 degrees.

JEONLYEP said:
Okay, I see what you're saying. I just put the calipers on mine and it is 2.75. I didn't have to change the coil mounts before welding them up.

DAryl

Thanks, 2.75 was the answer i has hoping for. I just wasnt sure if the 74 housing had the right tubes because i was told that some of the housings had 3" tubes.

Back