• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

could I get some help with choosing lift components?

Call dirk at www.DPGoffroad.com he is awesome, and the best part is he will sell ya RE at same or close to Rusty prices!

I have the RE 3.5 superflex. I drive it daily to and fro. Love it. I stuffed 32" Goodyear Mtrs on it with 8" wide wheel. I was exactly where you were last spring. Just keep searching before ya decide. Don't get cought up in building a jeep on paper to be better than everyone else. Consider what and how you will use and enjoy your XJ. Then decide from there. I did get the OME shocks with my lift, it rides better than stock. (not to say the ride is all that great, but better than it was stock!)

good luck,
Jason

Here is some pics: http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBMmLJy4atXMQ

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBMmLJy4atXIA

Thank you all very much, I got the gear thing kinda figured out now. So, lets say I go with the 4.56 gearing, and my xj is a stick, would I still be able to drive it like a normal car on the highway, or would the RPMs be way up high all the time. Its ok if the RPMs are just a bit above what it was when it was stock, but it needs to be reasonable. what do you think would be the best gearing, 4.56?

thanks..

depends on what size tire you are going to use. If you think 31's now, do you think you will ever get the itch to go bigger? Regearing is not cheap, so you will only want to do it once.

I have had my lift for about 9 months and am just now getting to regear.... and it does SUCK with stock gears on 32". I don't even use overdrive!

Jason

Red97XJ said:
depends on what size tire you are going to use. If you think 31's now, do you think you will ever get the itch to go bigger? Regearing is not cheap, so you will only want to do it once.

I have had my lift for about 9 months and am just now getting to regear.... and it does SUCK with stock gears on 32". I don't even use overdrive!

Jason

I havent REALLY given it much thought but I have considerd going a little bigger in the future. I would like to keep it in between a monster truck and a daily driver. I will be four whealin probably like every other weekend once I turn 16 but It needs to be a good normal driver, so I probably wont lift it more than 4.5' ever. and I MAY one day go up to like 32 or 33 inch tires. dont think I'll ever get like a 6" lift or anything though.

well, I would go with a 3.5 then. Get the superflex instead of the superride, not much difference on road, big diff. off road.

It is possible to run 33's with trimming on 3.5, so just go that route. Don't wanna be to top heavy, especially being daily driver.... uh, and being 16!

I nearly killed my self in my CJ-5 in High school. One day I stood outside of it, reached in thru the door, shook the shifter to make sure in neutral (felt like it was) and started it..... oops, it was in first gear and idled about 3,000 rpm till the choke went off! It took off, drove over my dads privacy fence, ripped thru the back yard, slammed into the rear deck and tore it all to pieces.

Bent the hood into two back the windshield, radiator into the fan, fenders crushed, etc. It sat there running and digging holes until I reached in to turn it off!

Oh man, do I miss being a kid! LOL

Red97XJ said:
well, I would go with a 3.5 then. Get the superflex instead of the superride, not much difference on road, big diff. off road.

It is possible to run 33's with trimming on 3.5, so just go that route. Don't wanna be to top heavy, especially being daily driver.... uh, and being 16!

I nearly killed my self in my CJ-5 in High school. One day I stood outside of it, reached in thru the door, shook the shifter to make sure in neutral (felt like it was) and started it..... oops, it was in first gear and idled about 3,000 rpm till the choke went off! It took off, drove over my dads privacy fence, ripped thru the back yard, slammed into the rear deck and tore it all to pieces.

Bent the hood into two back the windshield, radiator into the fan, fenders crushed, etc. It sat there running and digging holes until I reached in to turn it off!

Oh man, do I miss being a kid! LOL

Thats one crazy story, you wouldnt think it would go that far and throught a fence and all while idleing. It must have had low gearing then huh. But I think I'm ganna go with the super ride, because I heard people saying that the ride was really RIGID. I would like it to ride smooth. with the super flex, will it really flex all that much more, is it really worth the ruff ride?

From what I have HEARD, not much of a differnce in the two with ride. Are you ok with how it rides now? Mine rides slightly better than it did bone stock.... even my wife agrees on this.

Anybody else with a RE 3.5 full packs care to compare the two lifts and or a RE lift to there stock ride?

Yeah, that crazy old CJ idled at 3,000 rpm till it got warm! LOL

Jason

I spent the extra bucks on Old man Emu. I have nothing to compare these with other than stock so I can't say they are great or bad. I like em, doesn't mean I wouldn't like a cheaper shock..... I just don't wanna have to throw away some "cheaper" shocks to buy good ones.

Remember, I drive my jeep EVERYDAY. In every part I buy I keep this in mind. I am well known to change a vehicle so dramatic that after awhile I can't take driving it (then I have to start all over). I am trying very hard to keep this one away from bad changes so I keep it longer.

Later,
Jason

BORA 18T said:
well what shcoks are you runnin anyway? DT3000's...

I dont really know what shocks I'm running with now, but I think that they are just oem. I deffenatly want to have better ones after my lift. do you think ome is pretty good? if not, who should I look into?

you'll be fine with the Super Ride with the rubber bushings. i ran the Super Flex and actually switched over to the rubber bushings from the flex joints.... prefering less road noise and feel on the road. still goes over the Rubicon fine. i sure didn't see the "big difference off road" part....YMMV. also contrary to some who can tell you with "certainty" that you won't need a SYE...i needed one at 3"...every XJ for some reason is different. try it without but don't let it bum you out if you do get some vibes you can't get rid of. and i run 4.10's with 31's which is okay but i have an auto so i can't give a good recomendation here. i will say that 3 different gear shops told me to go lower even though it was to be daily driver....and i wish i had listened to them and not all the stupid gear charts. again i think with a stick it might be a tad different so maybe someone else will chime in . good luck and enjoy :sunshine:

Thanks for all of the input. I think I've decided to go with the super ride, over the super flex. but now I need to figured out what gears I'm going to use.
I have a stick, and I'm ganna be running 31" tires, and I want plenty of torque, but it still needs to work well as a daily driver. what do you guys think? like 4.10 or 4.56? I want to have atleast as much torque as when it was stock, if not more.

Thanks

Jeeper said:
Thanks for all of the input. I think I've decided to go with the super ride, over the super flex. but now I need to figured out what gears I'm going to use.
I have a stick, and I'm ganna be running 31" tires, and I want plenty of torque, but it still needs to work well as a daily driver. what do you guys think? like 4.10 or 4.56? I want to have atleast as much torque as when it was stock, if not more.

Thanks

your not even 16 yet? learn how to drive before spending any more cash. throw the 31's on and drive it!

oh - and going wheeling every other weekend - good luck affording that at 16 years old... broken parts arent cheap...

glad someone else could chime in on the ride between the two kits. He is best to tell you as he has had BOTH. I have not, just heard the hype. I think mine rides OK.

Good luck,
Jason

XJ_ranger said:
your not even 16 yet? learn how to drive before spending any more cash. throw the 31's on and drive it!

oh - and going wheeling every other weekend - good luck affording that at 16 years old... broken parts arent cheap...

Well, I've really been driving for about two years. I drove the xj I have now and my grandpas saburban. I got my permit a year ago, and Ive been driving a couple times a week with my dad since then. I kind of got the hang of the driving part. and as far as the expenses, my grandpa has a very sentimental attachment to this xj so hes paying for all the maintenance on the engine and stuff, and my dad wants to go wheelin with me, so we already got a bumper from rigco coming in the mail, and we are looking at a warn 9,000lb, and more skidplates. I will probably be paying for the highlift jack and stuff. But we will probably order the lift and tires within the next month or so, if things work out nicely.

Back