• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

control arm drop brackets

lovin my rc drop brackets at 4.5 and a bit of lift, HUGE difference in ride. I run adjustables so I dialed in my pinion and kept the coils outta the sway bar links,as well as the steering from rubbing.really dont know how I put up with it so long before going db's.

I have had mine since 2002. I got a Re 5.5 kit. Since then I have gotten stuck on the bracket twice. I bang the hell out of them every trip out.... but I bang pretty much everything under my jeep. I tend to run Moderate trails. They are really tough and the ride is the same as a long arm.

If $$$ is an issue (aint it always) get em and be happy. Don't be afraid of to ram'em into the rocks... they're tough!

I personally will not go higher than 5.5 with the DB's, after that you get right back into what you just got out of.

I say LA for 5.5 or more.

Here is a pic of my arms at ride height and 5.5" lift

P1010647.jpg

whats the bracket coming off of the upper control arm mount?

I have an MJ setting at about 6 plus inches these brackets are day and night different. Here are some pics.
Before:
310971115.jpg

310971112.jpg

after:
310971116.jpg

311547446.jpg

I like them so much i just ordered the RC 4.5" lift and the drop brackets

I have them. Work great. Been on for 3 yrs, had the braces at first but then added frame stifeners so they came off. Somday I will tie them in with some kind of brace but have no had a problem so far and never hung on them. I am at about 5"

I had them on my old jeep with about 4 inches of lift, maybe a little less, they were with (dare I say it) stock control arms. not how I built it, but how the jeep came.
the ride was so smooth compared to my buddies without the DB and mine flexed crazy good. I'd recommend getting the drop brackets and the shackle relocation kit sold by Brianho13... I think that's his username.
anyways here's a pic.
this isn't fully flexed out, but remember it's with stock control arms too.

hollister082.jpg

You will WANT DB's with the RE4.5" SF kit. I ran that kit for a year before putting on the RE DB's and braces. The difference was amazing. Better ride and better articulation off road. Best mod for the money in my opinion.

Do the drop brackets add height to the lift or no? If so, do I need to do something in the rear that takes that into account?

I have the RE 5.5" lift with drop brackets with out a single side effect. I want to do long arms only because my friend is welding in my unibody stiffeners and said he can build me a long arm setup.

Drop bracket only put control arms in to proper geometry they add no lift.

Do the drop brackets add height to the lift or no? If so, do I need to do something in the rear that takes that into account?

Nope. Basically, you move the old upper mount points to the old lower mount points. The lower mount points move to the drop bracket and things are now more parallel, but still in the same place. I believe its the springs that actually set your height.

Nope. Basically, you move the old upper mount points to the old lower mount points. The lower mount points move to the drop bracket and things are now more parallel, but still in the same place. I believe its the springs that actually set your height.

Ok, I must be misunderstanding something here or am I correct. Correct me if I am wrong, the DB's move the mounting point for your CA's down? Thus making them less of an angle? If so, what difference does it make? I am not trying to sound whatever, it is just I have the 4.5 RE SF kit waiting to go into my rig, and I do not have DB's. So, I am trying to find out what exactly they do and why I may or may not need them. School me on this so I know.

Thanks,
Silent

Ok, I must be misunderstanding something here or am I correct. Correct me if I am wrong, the DB's move the mounting point for your CA's down? Thus making them less of an angle? If so, what difference does it make? I am not trying to sound whatever, it is just I have the 4.5 RE SF kit waiting to go into my rig, and I do not have DB's. So, I am trying to find out what exactly they do and why I may or may not need them. School me on this so I know.

Thanks,
Silent

Correct!! The DBs lower the rear mounting points of both upper and lower control arms. Bringin them more parallel with the ground. Like previously mentioned, the control arms DO NOT have any affect on the height of the rig. The coil springs are what determine the height.

When the DBs are parallel to the ground, the shocks, and springs absorb the bumps. Hence the reason to install DBs. When the control arms are at nearly a 30 degree if not more angle to the ground, the bumps get redirected straight into the control arm mounts, and thusly into the unibody frame.

The key is to have your control arm as parallel to the ground as possible. DBs will have absolutley no effect on the lift height.

Last edited:
Correct!! The DBs lower the rear mounting points of both upper and lower control arms. Bringin them more parallel with the ground. Like previously mentioned, the control arms DO NOT have any affect on the height of the rig. The coil springs are what determine the height.

When the DBs are parallel to the ground, the shocks, and springs absorb the bumps. Hence the reason to install DBs. When the control arms are at nearly a 30 degree if not more angle to the ground, the bumps get redirected straight into the control arm mounts, and thusly into the unibody frame.

The key is to have your control arm as parallel to the ground as possible. DBs will have absolutley no effect on the lift height.

xBingoX

Thanks for the class on DB's that really helped. Looks like I am going to need to get me some DB's then. After all this is my DD as well. Man, the list keeps growing. Not only that, I am running out of room in my room due to all the parts in boxes awaiting installation. I just wish I could actually get them put in. Some much to do and so little money and time.

Silent, out.

For what it's worth... I just installed my DBs today!! The RE DBs are pretty sweet and they went in VERY easily.(it helps that my XJ has been born and raised in AZ. No rust!!)

The install was perfect and without any hold-up or problem. However, I did notice that when I moved the rear of the LCA forward in the DB, it caused my pinion angle to drop severely. This caused a very noticable vibration from the driveshaft. So tomorrow, I'm going to move the LCAs back in the DBs and that will help reduce the angle of the pinion. Hopefully it will be enough.

But the ride is WAY better than without them, and I have about 7" of lift. It's about damn time!!

For what it's worth... I just installed my DBs today!! The RE DBs are pretty sweet and they went in VERY easily.(it helps that my XJ has been born and raised in AZ. No rust!!)

The install was perfect and without any hold-up or problem. However, I did notice that when I moved the rear of the LCA forward in the DB, it caused my pinion angle to drop severely. This caused a very noticable vibration from the driveshaft. So tomorrow, I'm going to move the LCAs back in the DBs and that will help reduce the angle of the pinion. Hopefully it will be enough.

But the ride is WAY better than without them, and I have about 7" of lift. It's about damn time!!

What kind of track bar are you running? CA adj or fixed and how big are your springs/

Right now I'm running the standard RE track bar, but have their HD TB on the way. Fixed CAs, with 4.5" springs. But I also have ACOS adjustable spacers in there that add anoth 1.5-1.75" of lift.

Back