• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB radio options?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
I figure one of the first things I should get for my Jeep is a CB radio (after all the engine performance stuff) so when I get my lift in a month or so, I'll be all set. And when I'm wheeling with my stock rig, if I get in trouble, I can get help.

First off I was wondering if CB Radio's are even that common, or if it is a "must have" type item. Also, what sort of CB Radio can/should I get (prefferibly an easy to install kit)?

P.S. I also want to put in a PA system, I know a guy who had one and is was fun as heck.

Last edited:
Hmm how do magnetic mounts work? Does it stick to w/e you want with another magnet on the other side recieving the feed? If a wire has to be drilled...I'd preffer a hood mount I'd think. Since its a DD XJ.

Muddy Beast said:
I figure one of the first things I should get for my Jeep is a CB radio (after all the engine performance stuff) so when I get my lift in a month or so, I'll be all set. And when I'm wheeling with my stock rig, if I get in trouble, I can get help.

First off I was wondering if CB Radio's are even that common, or if it is a "must have" type item. Also, what sort of CB Radio can/should I get (prefferibly an easy to install kit)?

P.S. I also want to put in a PA system, I know a guy who had one and is was fun as heck.

Don't bet on the getting help part. :) With a lot of our group, most the guys have gone to Amateur radio and 2m rigs in their rigs. Search pirate 4x4 and here, more than one life has been saved by Ham radio. Can't really say that much for CB. Unfortunately the downside is that CB is more common to communicate between jeeps on the trail. I run both, but the CB only comes out when I wheel with Naxja, as most the socalxj guys are ham.

I'm really glad I got a CB, in fact I couldnt' be happier. I don't off-road very often but it also lets me talk to truckers about traffic, weather, and full-grown bears on the shoulder.

You might as well go ahead and get the PA speaker too. Mine was about 25 bucks at RadioShack. To wire it I used a male plug from an external speaker that I bought and didn't use and then slpiced that to some wire I ran through the fire wall and then down by the fender. I screwed the speaker to the "frame" with some self-tapping metal screws.

Cobra 18LTD for me.....

3024245_39_full.jpg

markw said:
Don't bet on the getting help part. :) With a lot of our group, most the guys have gone to Amateur radio and 2m rigs in their rigs..... Unfortunately the downside is that CB is more common to communicate between jeeps on the trail......

X2. CB's are great on the trail with others who have CB's, but their range is not that far. So, if you want to call for help when you get stuck while wheeling by yourself, I suggest HAM. Although, I really feel that a CB is a must for wheeling either way.

E

The ability to call for help is a plus, but don't forget your recovery points. You're help may arrive only to be able to keep you company.

I'm glad to hear people are using the Amateur Radio. Ahhh 2 meter FM nice and quiet...

poorboy_616 said:
Don't forget the venerable cell-phone too....

If you don't have a cb, or ham, ATLEAST have a cell-phone just in case....

Ha, good luck with reception on those. Best bet in mountainous country is a good ole 2m rig with the local repeaters pre-programmed for that area. We were at Big Bear talking to people in Escondido over the Palomar repeater, a good 80-100 miles away.

EliasJ123 said:
X2. CB's are great on the trail with others who have CB's, but their range is not that far. So, if you want to call for help when you get stuck while wheeling by yourself, I suggest HAM. Although, I really feel that a CB is a must for wheeling either way.

E

Good thing you heard us mention stopping for gas on the CB enroute to John Bull. :) All the ham guys heard us. :)

706_install.jpg

ICOM 706 Mark II Model G

:D

poorboy_616 said:
Don't forget the venerable cell-phone too....

If you don't have a cb, or ham, ATLEAST have a cell-phone just in case....

Keep in mind that during a disaster (I don't know anything...) the cell phone will be the first thing that will either be overwhelmed by everyone calling everyone else, or go out completely.

You always want some form of point to point communication. Cell phones must have cell sites to work. :speepin:

muckleroy said:
Keep in mind that during a disaster (I don't know anything...) the cell phone will be the first thing that will either be overwhelmed by everyone calling everyone else, or go out completely.

You always want some form of point to point communication. Cell phones must have cell sites to work. :speepin:

Na, we never have disasters. Like Katrina, or here in socal last years wildfires.

Getting a tech license isn't too hard, quite a few of the socal xj guys have them. I'd like to just toss my CB, it's not permanently mounted and plugs into the cig lighter _ONLY_ when they want to require it for a run.

markw said:
Told you they were sexier. :)

I had a IC-2710h in the same spot before I got the 706. Nice radio, dual band and cross band repeat. I had the IC-W32A. With that combination I could talk from the handy talky through the 2710h in the Jeep to a repeater.

I miss having that ability, but then again I talked to a guy in Bosnia from the parking lot at work! lol

Wow! I got off topic didn't I? Ok sorry, I'm done.

I usually try to steer CB threads towards ham radio. It's a much nicer solution especially for what we do. There's a thread on pirate from when Remi and some other NAXJA guys saved some guys life on the rubicon when a samurai rolled ontop of him crushing him. CB's didn't work, and I think it was remi who was able to call for help on 2m. I'd rather not wait for an emergency to think wow I should've gotten a ham radio. I've been licensed since 91, and my dad since the 50's. As much as I push it, I never had the patience to learn morse code, so I had to wait until this year to get my no-code extra. :)

edit: Here's why I recommend ham over/in addition to CB.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=369569

Last edited:
All the above talk about HAM, CB, and recovery gear are good. To answer your question, Uniden 510 or 520, with mag mount Wilson 'Little Wil' seem to be a popular combination. I use K40 mag mount and have had no issues with the mag mount.

Back