• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB radio options?

muckleroy said:
706_install.jpg

ICOM 706 Mark II Model G

:D

There is NO way I am throwing a $1300 radio in my wheeling Jeep....

I just wish the used prices on decent single band 2m's would come down.....

I wanted to get another Yaesu FT-1500 for my Jeep... The used prices are right around what the radio cost when it was new and in production....

Here in the Mudwest... 2m is almost non existant for wheeling... But we don't generally have the thousands upon thousands upon thousands of acres of open public land. We have our small cramped parks.. and the CB and FRS do get overwhelmed on busy weekends....

w_howey said:
There is NO way I am throwing a $1300 radio in my wheeling Jeep....

I just wish the used prices on decent single band 2m's would come down.....

I wanted to get another Yaesu FT-1500 for my Jeep... The used prices are right around what the radio cost when it was new and in production....

Here in the Mudwest... 2m is almost non existant for wheeling... But we don't generally have the thousands upon thousands upon thousands of acres of open public land. We have our small cramped parks.. and the CB and FRS do get overwhelmed on busy weekends....

I got it used, from a local ham, who upgraded to a IC-7000 (pretty!). This rig was $575 and it looked new.

I got it because I had wanted it for years, and after hurricane Rita I wanted to be able to communicate anywhere anytime.

This radio is a general coverage receiver, and with a slight modification it is a general coverage transmitter. I use an antenna tuner and a 108" whip. So it will tune anywhere I put it (80 meters and below).

I have it in my daily driver, so it has a dual purpose.

You guys and your sexy radios....

HAM wouls be nice, but I can't readily afford one at the moment.

Besides, my old cobra has been in a great many of my vehicles and has been used as a base station....

And the cellphone reception, yeah they do suck in some areas, but it's better than nothing....

poorboy_616 said:
And the cellphone reception, yeah they do suck in some areas, but it's better than nothing....

I know of a few 12ft square areas in the hills out here where the phones actually work. :)

Hey Scott, a buddy of mine got me this little Cobra radio and hooked me up with a nice whip antenna. My last radio was very old and eventually died. :) These little ones go great on the knee panel under the dash or on the side of the console, to the right of the shifter (like the guy in the next post!)

http://www.amazon.com/COBRA-19-40-Channel-Compact-Radio/dp/B000PGF658

I put mine in the vent thole under the steering column.

It's a bitch to see, but who cares! Once the volume and channel are set, your not gonna touch it or look at it.....

poorboy_616 said:
I put mine in the vent thole under the steering column.

It's a bitch to see, but who cares! Once the volume and channel are set, your not gonna touch it or look at it.....

Later model rigs have fuse/relay blocks there, which is why they don't have vents anymore. :)

markw said:
Good thing you heard us mention stopping for gas on the CB enroute to John Bull. :) All the ham guys heard us. :)

lol Touche!!

Well, if you guys weren't trying to lose the rest of the group by driving 65mph+ in Big Bear, I may have been within range to hear you. ;)

E

mecompco said:
IIRC, I paid under $50 for my Radio shack 2M HT at a Ham Fest--all you need is enough oomph to whack a repeater.

Yeah, cheap everywhere for an HT. And when it comes down to it, if I'm in an emergency situation IDGAF whether I have a piece of paper. ;)

EliasJ123 said:
lol Touche!!

Well, if you guys weren't trying to lose the rest of the group by driving 65mph+ in Big Bear, I may have been within range to hear you. ;)
E

Well, we did xmit it on CB too. I think the big problem was people getting back out onto I think 18 from the stop sign. Trust me we weren't doing 65mph, and we just stopped by the campground. I heard the rest of the group stopped at the center across the road.

mecompco said:
poorboy_616 said:
You guys and your sexy radios....

HAM wouls be nice, but I can't readily afford one at the moment.

QUOTE]

IIRC, I paid under $50 for my Radio shack 2M HT at a Ham Fest--all you need is enough oomph to whack a repeater.

I'll second that, at least get a hand held. I have a VX2R in the glove box along with the power adapter. Just in case, I can hike to the top of a ridge and call for help. It's funny, some guys will spend big bucks on parts, but not small bucks on something that can save your life. You can get a mobile rig off ebay for around $100.

ECKSJAY said:
Yeah, cheap everywhere for an HT. And when it comes down to it, if I'm in an emergency situation IDGAF whether I have a piece of paper. ;)

Actually the law says in an emergency you don't need one....

mavrick said:
Where are some places to buy a HAM radio?

A ham fest, convention, or eBay. The ham fest/convention would probably be cheaper, but less convenient.

Well, I guess I'll second what everyone else has said and take this opportunity to show my own HAM/CB rigs.

radioinstall2.jpg

radioinstall1.jpg

bosco01xj said:
Well, I guess I'll second what everyone else has said and take this opportunity to show my own HAM/CB rigs.

radioinstall2.jpg

radioinstall1.jpg

If I still had my 2m/70cm rig that is where I would have liked to mount it, on the ceiling.

After I get some Jeep upgrades done I'm thinking of putting a scanner there.

Back