• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB radio options?

muckleroy said:
HF (High Frequency) bands will be opening up soon, so "chit-chat" will be common all over the US, Central and South America, and even into Europe and the middle east. The further away generally the shorter the conversation as there are many others waiting to make contact with them.

You can receive awards for talking "working" all countries, states, counties, to name a few.

Umm... thanks man... I've had my ticket for 13 years... I am one of the Damn No coders.... Now I'm even worse... I'm gonna to be one of the POS 'paper' Generals as soon as there is a local test session....

I gotta say, CB radios are still good to use under certain circumstances such as staying in communication with your group on the trail and even finding out traffic information if you're stuck on the interstate. I would absolutely grab a CB if I were the one in question. Afterwards, I would do more research on HAM radio. Amateur radio, IMO, is being a little sugar coated in this thread. You HAVE to read and study the textbook for your technician license and trust me, it's not as easy as you might think. I took countless online practice exams and continually read and re-read the chapters and chapter questions. I'd take a look at this website if you're really interested in HAM radio. Good luck.

http://www.arrl.org/

73, KI4YJC

Last edited:
bosco01xj said:
I gotta say, CB radios are still good to use under certain circumstances such as staying in communication with your group on the trail and even finding out traffic information if you're stuck on the interstate. I would absolutely grab a CB if I were the one in question. Afterwards, I would do more research on HAM radio. Amateur radio, IMO, is being a little sugar coated in this thread. You HAVE to read and study the textbook for your technician license and trust me, it's not as easy as you might think. I took countless online practice exams and continually read and re-read the chapters and chapter questions. I'd take a look at this website if you're really interested in HAM radio. Good luck.

http://www.arrl.org/

73, KI4YJC

This may be correct for many of you, I can only relate to my own experiences. I passed the MULTIPLE GUESS tests the first try. The 13 wpm code kicked my ASS! I had to take it 6 times, traveling into Houston to the FCC office each time. So when someone says the multiple guess test is hard, well you can see why I considered that the easy part. ;)

Oh and I don't know how them truckers are talking on channel 19 these days, but the HAM radio you won't be embarrassed to have your family listen to, as long as you stay away from the old farts on 75 meters. :laugh3:

Question for all you HAM folks talking about emergency use of HAM. Is there a set frequency that is used for emergencies? If not, how exactly does one use a HAM to reach help in case of medical emergency, vehicle breakdown in the backcountry, and what not. Just curious .....

Maz said:
Question for all you HAM folks talking about emergency use of HAM. Is there a set frequency that is used for emergencies? If not, how exactly does one use a HAM to reach help in case of medical emergency, vehicle breakdown in the backcountry, and what not. Just curious .....

Not that I know of.

Vehicle breakdown wouldn't be an emergency, so cell phone, 2 meter repeater could be used. 2 meter repeater range is generally 20 to 50 miles. CB is fine, but they are so easy to get and use you never know what kind of "help" you may be getting. In fact your help, may be helping themselves.

As I think it was stated before here, you can use any frequency in an emergency. So I can use the weather service channels, AM/FM broadcast, police, fire, ambulance, etc... I think my radio will even transmit on AM aircraft bands. I bet I could stir up some local help if necessary. Failing that I can go out of state, or even out of country.

100 or more miles can be done pretty much anytime on HAM, if not 1000.

Frankly, if it were me, I'd get the tech license, get a 2 meter radio for $100 and a CB for $50. The 2 meter antenna is really little, about 1/2 a meter. Now you're set for either. CB will be noisey and grate on your ears over time. 2 meter FM is quite until someone is talking, but it's in FM so it sounds nice. :D

Last edited:
megabyte5689 said:
I'm actually thinking about getting a cheap CB and antenna. Do you have to use all of the code talk on CB?

nope. sure don't.

In general, CB channel 9 is reserved for law enforcement and emergency use. So if TX on channel 9, someone may here you and get help....The better option is a Cell-phone or HAM though.....

megabyte5689 said:
I'm actually thinking about getting a cheap CB and antenna. Do you have to use all of the code talk on CB?

Negatory good buddy. :spin1:

Maz said:

No, there is not a set frequency. But each amateur band has a band plan for it. Which is basically a gentlemen's agreement that this range of frequencies are used for this type of communications. Each band has a calling frequency which would be a good place to start, or the local repeaters for FM operations.

Being from Canuck-ville, Radio Industrial Canada(or something really close to that) has a pretty good stock of info for you on their website. They are the regulatory body in Canada. IIRC, Canada has it own version of the US' ARRL. But I don't know their name off-hand.

muckleroy said:
This may be correct for many of you, I can only relate to my own experiences. I passed the MULTIPLE GUESS tests the first try. The 13 wpm code kicked my ASS! I had to take it 6 times, traveling into Houston to the FCC office each time. So when someone says the multiple guess test is hard, well you can see why I considered that the easy part. ;)

Oh and I don't know how them truckers are talking on channel 19 these days, but the HAM radio you won't be embarrassed to have your family listen to, as long as you stay away from the old farts on 75 meters. :laugh3:

I couldn't pass 5 WPM.. I took it 4 times.... The multiple guess was fairly easy. And supposedly the last rewrite made it focus more on good operating principles and less on the technical stuff...

Many 2m repeaters were the same way when I first got my liscense.......

So here's the other trick, what about a mount for the antenna?

I've seen Jeeps with them on the hood, and at the rear bumper...I want a rear bumper one, but I can find them anywhere.

I was thinking you could probably bolt a mount around the lights (using the top and top inside bolt with and protruding out of the hitch gap to an antenna mount).

This is my set up. That's the best pic I could find. But it works very well for me.
n15924564_37793883_2076.jpg

Where did you get that mount? And what antenna do you have?

Oi! Way to bring back a 1.5 yr old thread.

And on that note...

A lot of people mount their PA speakers right behind the front bumper, similar to where the current horn is. I am considering mounting mine on my brush guard in the center, between my lights, but it will have to be a rather sturdy model.

Cobra 25 WX NW ST

017.jpg

i got a cobra 19ltd peaked and tuned mounted on upper center console .. then went to the truck stop c.b. shop bought the cable and a bracket .. used one of my whip ant. off my old bigrig and i'm sounding good and reaching pretty far.. the key to is make sure u have ur stuff tuned right and ur swr's right

Back