• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cal4Wheel Sierra Trek

I have heard good things about the run, but the biggest drawback I see is the cost is pretty high. Haven't checked what it is this year but in the past it was cost prohibitive for me considering I was running it often enough with friends.

If you really want to go, post up some dates and I bet some Sierra Chapter folks will tag along and you can run it for basically nothing but the cost of food and beer.

Yeah cost is high, it always is on the big full-ride events. I've never been to a big event so figured I should attend one to see how they tick, especially since I was hanging out with a lot of their leadership during the VLLS class earlier this year.

I won't even be running Fordyce with that group, I'll be in the little Jeep (the same reason I won't be running Swamp with you folks this year).

Come on, expensive? Naxja guys just don't have a presence on organized runs. Naxja never has. It's $175. Not even the cost of a single tire! You can argue many things against going on an organized event, and for the most part I would agree with you, such as crowded trail, etc. But you can't simply say "It's too expensive".

4 X 4 In Motion is having a poker run on the Niagara Rim trail in two weeks on the 11th of July. The cost is $55, which includes Saturday night meal. How many Naxja members will be there, maybe 2 -4 if that. That includes me.

if you think we are cheap, wait until you join a XJ Facebook group....

Come on, expensive?

It's a difference in perspective. Historically NAXJA guys are going out and camping/wheeling. We don't tend to do big, expensive events, nor do we expect it.

Other than schwag, meals, and any BLM fees I've never paid for an event so it's a big difference for me. The East coast / Midwest guys are more used to it. As a leader I'd like to see how a big event is run so I'm heading out to it.

Come on, expensive? Naxja guys just don't have a presence on organized runs. Naxja never has. It's $175. Not even the cost of a single tire! You can argue many things against going on an organized event, and for the most part I would agree with you, such as crowded trail, etc. But you can't simply say "It's too expensive".

4 X 4 In Motion is having a poker run on the Niagara Rim trail in two weeks on the 11th of July. The cost is $55, which includes Saturday night meal. How many Naxja members will be there, maybe 2 -4 if that. That includes me.

why bother to join a club if you aren't going to go wheeling with them. And you talk about being cheap when your name is black? If $175 is no big deal then why is $35 is too much?

Naxja is and has been my preferred group to wheel with for over 10 years. That is why i don't join the big runs.

$35 is not too much for Naxja, I just haven't got around to paying yet. Your kind of LEAPING to conclusions aren't you?

BTW- People don't attend big events because they have no club affiliation. They attend as a group. MOST attendees in big events are with a group. What did you think, the big events were full of strangers?

Let's face it, if you don't attend an event because it cost a whopping $55....you're cheap.

$35 is not too much for Naxja, I just haven't got around to paying yet. Your kind of LEAPING to conclusions aren't you?

BTW- People don't attend big events because they have no club affiliation. They attend as a group. MOST attendees in big events are with a group. What did you think, the big events were full of strangers?

Let's face it, if you don't attend an event because it cost a whopping $55....you're cheap.

Did you ever stop to think that part of the allure of NAXJA is that we put on our own events?

Cheap or not I don't want to attend a big run like that, too many people will kill the fun for me. I enjoy the wilderness and 4-wheeling for the solitude and quiet it brings, not the crowds. But, some people enjoy that sort of thing which is why that run is so successful and has been around for years.

I think you are jumping to conclusions. NAXJA folks don't attend runs like this because we do our own thing. It has been that way for years, and you aren't the first person to point that out. So instead of scolding us for wanting to spend our money as we see fit, why don't you just go enjoy yourself however YOU want to and not worry about us.

We do unnofical naxja fordyce runs if you want to do fordyce with us. but that trail is a snake in grass waiting to bite your a$$ so make sure your rig is ready for some hell and bring spares and tools and join us one of these times!

The immaturity in your posts is astonishing.

Why would I spend $175 to go run a trail that I could run next weekend for free? I understand the arguments in favor of spending the money, but it's not for me. I'd rather go with a good group of friends, when there are less people on the trail, less noise, less traffic jams, more campsites to choose from, no live DJ playing music I don't want to hear, etc. But to each his own I guess.

175$ is almost half a 40" tire, its a PSC RAM shipped, its something cool. id rather wheel fordyce when its empty and buy more parts ;)

please don't mistake peoples personal preferences. Everyone is different. We are not making fun of you for paying 175$ to run a free trail, on a foo-foo weekend full of yuppy JK's - that and thats your thing. I guess its hard to Respect everyones personal preferences but we did not flame you for doing sierra trek so don't flame us for not doing it.

attacking us for no reason and calling us cheap a-holes because we don't do one random Foofy pay wheeling trip to fordyce doesn't help anyone. We are all XJ owners, we need to stick together. I also prefer to camp away from the groups, thats the beauty of fordyce, its way less populated than the Traffi-con. Sierra trek kind of ruins that.

a lot of us are paying members here, pirate, BRC, and corva, and donate to BRC and Corva and probably FOTR and FOF.

Last edited:
Well I feel the whole point of these events. Are really for people starting out. Maybe they have a brand new jk on 37s and don't have friends who wheel. They wanna go with a large group and have the money to spend.

Well I feel the whole point of these events. Are really for people starting out. Maybe they have a brand new jk on 37s and don't have friends who wheel. They wanna go with a large group and have the money to spend.

exactly right! Nailed it!

For Fordyce for me, I'll be in my Jeep on 30s! Historical stocker tours is the ticket. Even if I were in the big Jeep I would probably not do Fordyce due to too many people.

I've been wheeling my red Jeep for 17 years, attending NAXJA events for 12. The largest events I've been to have been NAXJA Fall Flings, those are like scaled up SierraFests, really not nearly as all-encompassing as Sierra Trek. I figure it's time I try out a big "pansy" event. I also thing the kids will enjoy it and I'll learn something by watching the way it is run. What I learn will be valuable for my leadership role in the SoCal Chapter. Yes it is costing me about one 35" tire, but I can deal with that.

Anyone who thinks organized runs are for newbies has never attended a Sierra Trek. 600 plus Jeeps, Toyotas, the best of the best. Wild one off professionally built jeeps driven by guys with more experience than any of us. This doesn't even include the high level corporate guys like BFG, etc. Speaking of BFG, they select random wheelers to come over to their semi trailer and swap your tires for a set of wheels/tires they let you run the trail with and they just want your opinion. After they event they put your tires back on your rig, after balancing them for you. And don't think this is some kind of urban legend, it happened to a very good friend of mine! Plus vendors from all across the country bring their semi trailers with the latest and greatest products. Plus they feed you, there's a live band, bar and guess what? It all goes to a good cause, Cal4wheel. So no, it's not for newbs.

Stop the personal attacks guys. My name is in red now.

But seriously, you guys really need to get to one of these events. Maybe next year NAXJA SC works one of the winch hills? Try it just once, if we (now that I'm paid) don't like it then fine. I think you might be surprised.

Anyone who thinks organized runs are for newbies has never attended a Sierra Trek. 600 plus Jeeps, Toyotas, the best of the best. Wild one off professionally built jeeps driven by guys with more experience than any of us. This doesn't even include the high level corporate guys like BFG, etc. Speaking of BFG, they select random wheelers to come over to their semi trailer and swap your tires for a set of wheels/tires they let you run the trail with and they just want your opinion. After they event they put your tires back on your rig, after balancing them for you. And don't think this is some kind of urban legend, it happened to a very good friend of mine! Plus vendors from all across the country bring their semi trailers with the latest and greatest products. Plus they feed you, there's a live band, bar and guess what? It all goes to a good cause, Cal4wheel. So no, it's not for newbs.

Stop the personal attacks guys. My name is in red now.

But seriously, you guys really need to get to one of these events. Maybe next year NAXJA SC works one of the winch hills? Try it just once, if we (now that I'm paid) don't like it then fine. I think you might be surprised.

600 rigs drving through Fordyce over the course of 3 days doesn't sound like fun to me. But to each his own. Like I said, have fun and don't worry about why nobody else from NAXJA is there.

Right back at you with the personal attacks. Not sure if you noticed or not, but NAXJA is a "do it yourself" kind of crowd. Be it repairs or events. Most of us won't pay $3000 for gears and locker installs, and then go to an organized event that costs even more money. Call it cheap, frugal, smart, or whatever you want to label it. But that is the core of NAXJA, empowering the membership to do it themselves and do it the right way the first time.

Back