• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumpstops?

kmanxj5050

NAXJA Forum User
What is everyone running as far as brand, length, etc.?

i am at 6.5" of lift and not really sure how to go about picking bumpstops.

thanks all:thumbup:

As for picking them, a tape measure is best for that. Are you looking for something in the OEM locations? Secondly, what is your budget?

i am in college and am only 20 budget lol

so not alot just curious and just getting into the going fast so more of a curious question and looking at options.

What is everyone running as far as brand, length, etc.?

i am at 6.5" of lift and not really sure how to go about picking bumpstops.

thanks all:thumbup:

I am using 4 hockey pucks from play it again sports. I'm on about 5 inch of lift. That's the budget solution for sure. And in Michigan, you could proabbly get some pucks for free if you know any hockey players. Otherwise, they were $1 each at play it again. Two 4 inch bolts (counter sunk 1/2 inch in top puck) were probably another buck or so.

In the back I have some modified leaf spring plates with a raised metal plate that contacts the stock frame rail mounted bump stop.

so not alot just curious and just getting into the going fast so more of a curious question and looking at options.

Well... pucks may not be the best idea then. :D

I'm into going slow.

Sorry, didn't realize I was in the Jeepspeed forum...:doh:

Well... pucks may not be the best idea then. :D

I'm into going slow.

Sorry, didn't realize I was in the Jeepspeed forum...:doh:
:laugh:

kman, if you can afford air bumps, that's the way to go. Tom from T&J sells a weld in kit for front air bumps, also rears. You'll probably want to go with a 2" stroke instead of a 4", as you don't want the bump acting like a secondary shock.

Now if you can't afford air bumps, check out the poly bumps that have a few wriite ups in this section. A few people are running them and like them.

I would love air bumps, but at this point in my life they are a little pricey lol

what do you say about hockey pucks? no

and couldn't i just use some steel tube and "space" the stock rear one down more?

i just got in tonight some 4-6" lift RC 9000 shocks for the back (shocks until i have money for steins)

at the dunes i broke both dog ears on the rear due to compressing the shock to much. And i dont want this to happen on my new shocks. (had rusty's 4.5" shocks before, the rc's are only .25" to .5" longer)

thanks guys

The biggest issue with the stock style bumpstops is they don't really offer any 'progressive' movement. They just hit hard and are... well stopped. For the go fast stuff you really need something that is going to absorb some of that energy before you reach full stop.

Look at crazyjim's writeup on the polys (you don't have to use the rectangular ones, they are offered in oval and round setups). Or look into the Timbren style bumps. They'll both require very minor custom fabrication, but will be a whole heck of a lot cheaper than air bumps.

These are the best front bumpstops to get unless you spend the dough for air bumps. Very soft, very progressive, easy to install, and cheap. Nothing else even compares for the front.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Prothane/762178/10002/-1

311-coilinsert.gif

I got the 10" ones and cut off one ridge. They compress 3.5".......very progressive.

what do you say about hockey pucks? no

Like RCMan said, no progressive movement. Ok for slow guys like me. Not so good for go fast.

I know a guy who uses prothane bump stops up front.

Couple links:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=985677

http://www.naxja.net/forum/showthread.php?p=244262796

He didn't do any modified mounts like shown in the threads. He just screwed a puck on the top end to close the hole and dropped them into his coils.

Thet apparently compress quite a bit.

nice how do you all test your suspension to see how far it compresses. I mean i have flexed mine out with the fork lift lol is that a good way to do it or is there a better way.

thanks guys

nice how do you all test your suspension to see how far it compresses. I mean i have flexed mine out with the fork lift lol is that a good way to do it or is there a better way.

thanks guys

That won't compress it very far. If you can bottom your suspension while flexing it's WAY too soft for going very fast. Only way to test compression is to go fast and hit something. Find a couple big dips somewhere around where you live, wrap some small tie wraps around your shocks, and have at it. The tie wraps will show you how far you are compressing.

Have fun. :D

im running stock bumps, but im also on 30" tires and i have so much travel with those little tires that i dont or rarely hit my bumps. but i agree if you can afford it go for the air bumps.

That won't compress it very far. If you can bottom your suspension while flexing it's WAY too soft for going very fast. Only way to test compression is to go fast and hit something. Find a couple big dips somewhere around where you live, wrap some small tie wraps around your shocks, and have at it. The tie wraps will show you how far you are compressing.

Have fun. :D

tie wraps around shock? you lost me lol

how much lift are you at crazyjim?

You wrap a small zip tie around the shaft of the shock, and move it all the way up towards the body. Hit some dips, and then go see how far the zip tie moved. It'll act like an indicator of travel, and show how far down the shaft you're running.

As for how much lift I'm on, I really don't know to be honest, somewhere around 6"

Back