• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build thread: Johnny 5 and his pal Henry

altrocker1

NAXJA Forum User
Well i promise to keep up on this build thread better than my other ones! Someday I will update the WJ thread and start one for the MJ...

After selling the green jeep, I went looking for another. The only requirements were 1) needs a back seat 2.) 98-99 or non cali 2000 3.) as rust free as possible 4.) cheap

so i found this ugly ass turd on craigslist:

0714141951_zps568a6831.jpg

0714141952_zps0d485f8b.jpg

0714141952a_zpsa9ba6f3c.jpg

0714141952b_zps12c098a2.jpg

0714141952c_zpse84b94a7.jpg

0714141952e_zpsc76ef309.jpg

0714141953_zpsa6964fcc.jpg

2000 Non cali xj from texas...180k 4.0 with a 231. Needs a motor. Nicknamed Johnny 5 because its the 5th xj I've owned and just like in the second short circuit movie, in the end it will be gold! The spray paint comes off very easily because they clearly did no surface prep. The previous owner tried to make it all one color after replacing a 2000 clip with guardrail rash with a 96...

This build will have 3 phases

Phase 1 drivetrain replacement.
-40k jasper rebuilt 96 motor with full exhaust and sensor replacement
-50k aw4 from a 99 I have in the grage
-then I'm torn on using the 231 or the 242...I have both at my disposal. With as much highway as my jeeps see, I am seriously considering the 242 with as much highway as my jeep sees AND with as much as it snows out here. I know the aftermarket support kind of stinks, but what are ya'll's opinion on the subject?

Phase 2: Strip rattle can job and restore the factory paint job. Should rub off with some acetone like some have stated. I can scrape it with my fingernail

Phase 3: Expedition style build with a trailer...the trailer will be build from an old model A bed converted into a trailer (thus the name henry...since its a ford)

i currently have these parts that I was collecting for the green Jeep:
-4.5" alcan leaves
-brown dog motor mounts
-3.5" rusty's coils from the MJ (whenever I take them off)
-4.56 axles that i still have to pick up...i will be adding zip lockers. hp30 and 44
-IRO trackbar from collin
-4 bilstien 5100's with less than 500 miles on them
-disc brake conversion on the 44
-and a bunch of other crap I am forgetting..

Other stuff I will be looking for:
-set of acos spacers. I have no idea how much lift the rear is going to produce
-no lift shackle boxes
-front brake lines
-bumpers
-3 link from either rock krawler or hobag
-33" duratracs or MTRs on some kind of wheel
-other neat stuff I cant remember ;)

Here is the trailer AKA "Henry":

0615141613_zps7be378e7.jpg

0615141614_zps046e076e.jpg

0615141614a_zps6bcddade.jpg

0615141614b_zps21b442e4.jpg

0615141615a_zpsd6ad373e.jpg

I have a million things I need a trailer for, but it will be mainly used for hauling firewood from Melissa's grandfathers house, camping and exploring and for hunting trips. It needs some work, but it has huge potential to be a really nice trailer. I love the size of it

made arrangements to pick up the jasper motor...unfortunately I'm leaving for vacation in a few days, so its going to have to wait a while.

i also spent 5 minutes with a paper towel and some acetone and the spray paint comes right off to reveal very nice paint underneath...its going to take some elbow grease, but it looks like it will all come off

Last edited:
that front clip is from a right hand drive import.

note the marker lights???

ha...not quite but you are extremely close.

The front clip isn't from an import because it was installed when the previous owner had it shipped to Germany while he was in the army. If you look at the back there is a "i served IRAQ" sticker. The first owner of the jeep was in the army and had it shipped overseas while he was stationed there. During that time he clipped a guardrail and ruined one of the fenders. Since spare parts were hard to come by he used what he had available to him...unfortunately the clip was green and from a 96, thus the craptastic rattle can job. When he returned to the states the motor developed the knock it has now so he sold it to the kid I bought it from...apparently an xj can do 118 on the autobahn I was told lol. No wonder it knocks now!

Need to edit your opening post. ...from Texas/germany .... Lol.

That story explains the marker lights.

yeah i forgot about that part of the story, even though its much more interesting than some soldier from texas lol

yes i do still have a white clip. depending on what i can find an the pick and pull here, it may go on this jeep and get painted. the likelihood of finding gold parts in good shape is pretty slim

Power washer?

goof off graffiti remover....then a hose. if i had a power washer, it would probably be almost done. if i spray the goof of on and let it sit for a few minutes, the paint gets soft enough that i can wipe it away for the most part...the rest comes off with the hose

got more paint stripped...should only take a few more hours, but i drove the jeep around the yard today to see if i could learn a little more about the motor issue...the jeep seems to have good power and seems to fire on all cyl, and despite the noise, the jeep holds a smooth idle at 750 and had great oil pressure. i put a long screw driver to the head and it really sounds like the noise might be in the head itself. that and at times it seems to be double the speed of a rod knock...what are the odds that there is a really badly collapsed lifter or a loose rocker arm? i don't have anymore time today since we are getting ready to step out to leave for vacation.

If it is the head, do i keep the 180k motor in there, or pull it out to replace with the $300 jasper rebuild? A good head will probably cost me what $100-200? Hmmm

got more paint stripped...should only take a few more hours, but i drove the jeep around the yard today to see if i could learn a little more about the motor issue...the jeep seems to have good power and seems to fire on all cyl, and despite the noise, the jeep holds a smooth idle at 750 and had great oil pressure. i put a long screw driver to the head and it really sounds like the noise might be in the head itself. that and at times it seems to be double the speed of a rod knock...what are the odds that there is a really badly collapsed lifter or a loose rocker arm? i don't have anymore time today since we are getting ready to step out to leave for vacation.

If it is the head, do i keep the 180k motor in there, or pull it out to replace with the $300 jasper rebuild? A good head will probably cost me what $100-200? Hmmm

Run it til it blows up, then install new motor. This is what I am doing with mine and it was able to pull two jeeps off the mountain at Harlan.

I agree with Brian as I was one of the ones pulled off the mountain. Run it took it let's go then redo the motor. No sense in going thru all the hassle if it's in good running condition now.

i had a cracked fly wheel that sounded like bad bearings...

mac 'sounded low end knock' gyvr

Re: Re: Build thread: Johnny 5 and his pal Henry

i had a cracked fly wheel that sounded like bad bearings...

mac 'sounded low end knock' gyvr
I've had a loose flexplate before...this sounds different. Had to leave for a week of vacation and work...I'll know more when I get back

Back