• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolt breaking tips??

Thayer said:
Ding ding ding, correct. It was my driver side front leaf eye disection because the bolt was seized to the sleeve.
That's what breaks the nut weld loose. The bushing sleeve and bolt become one. The bolt/sleeve turns in the bushing but doesn't back out (sleeve holds it in place) Since it's turning it forces the nut out the other side, breaking the weld.

JeepXJ93, I would cut from the bottom to get to the nut. Seems like much less work than goin from the top and dealing with carpet, rust, etc.

kid4lyf said:
JeepXJ93, I would cut from the bottom to get to the nut. Seems like much less work than goin from the top and dealing with carpet, rust, etc.

No doubt. A die grinder with a cutoff wheel works wonders to cut out that trapezoidal shape from the bottom of the leaf spring bracket. Once that's opened enough to stick a wrench in, you're good to go. If you're worried about cracking (which isn't likely) you can always throw a weld on each corner of your cut. 5 years after cutting mine out, they're fine with no welding. :)

I dont have any of the tools or knowledge to do this job so i passed it on to the performance jeep place up the street, he's a good guy and i told him what was goin on and he'd have it out in a few hours. Thanks for all the info though guys.

Back