• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blown engine?

Pull out your distributer pick up/cam sensor and spin the oil pump with a drill while someone watches the gauge. That will give you a good idea about the pump.
I cut up a dollar store screw driver to use as a drive bit.

Ok, I just got the oil pan off finally and the oil pump looks good/pumps fine. No metal shavings in the pan. Where to check now? When it started last I heard metal on metal squeaking noises. Thanks!!!

Can you rotate the crank while you have the pan off and watch and listen for things? Did you pull the distributor and inspect it?

sounds like maybe a ring broke, got lodged and froze up the engine, then you worked it loose, and now its in one of the cylinders horquing up the cylinder wall

XJjosh said:
I havent taken the head off, just the valve cover. And I cant turn it over by the crak with a breaker bar. What should I do next?
Pull the starter Mean Green starters go bad just like any other starter

The starter is already off. I turned it by hand with the pan off and I hear some metal on metal in one of the 2 back cylinders. I am doing this by myself so I can't narrow it down yet. I felt the insides of the cylinder walls and I can't feel anything out of the ordinary. What is the problem!!!???

XJjosh said:
The starter is already off. I turned it by hand with the pan off and I hear some metal on metal in one of the 2 back cylinders. I am doing this by myself so I can't narrow it down yet. I felt the insides of the cylinder walls and I can't feel anything out of the ordinary. What is the problem!!!???
The problem is that your engine siezed. I'd pull the whole thing out, then either rebuild it or just get a new engine from a junkyard. The boneyard route would be faster and probably cheaper, which is important if this is your only vehicle. If you rebuild it, you're going to want to send the block, head, crank, and cam out to a machine shop.

Other than that, I think you're SOL dude.

XJjosh said:
But in several posts you said you could not turn it. Now with the startes off you can.
Some scraping sound is normal with dry cylinder walls. If you can turn it by hand your Mean Green should of cranked hell out of it.
No metal, oil pump looks good, how about the CKP shaft and gear? Engines don't just sieze for no reason.

Last edited:
It was locked up before so I gave up on it. Then one day I decided to try it again and it turned over. It was weird. Not it doesnt lock up anymore but I still have those problems.

I was going to suggest that you have your gas tested, that sudden lock up [pardon the pun] smells of moth balls in the gas....or sugar..
But really if the engine is still making noise I'd pull it and get the crank off, pistons out and see whats what. Mine died a few weeks ago and I needed it back fast so I went the jasper route with a rebuilt, othewise I would have gone with a stroker if I had had the time, problem was the stroker builders needed 2-4 weeks.

XJjosh said:
It was locked up before so I gave up on it. Then one day I decided to try it again and it turned over. It was weird. Not it doesnt lock up anymore but I still have those problems.
Based on what I've read here in this thread, it sounds like you have no choice but to pull the motor and at least disassemble it to see what's going on in there. Further diagnosis with the engine in the car is probably a waste of time, as the engine's gonna have to come out to fix the problem anyway.

Pull the head at least but I still thing your problem was electrical.
I have seen many cases where a starter will stick and jam if it don't get enough power.
You could not move the engine you could un-stick it by pushing in reverse with shifter is third for standard shift.
I have also seen several seized engines one that had no oil and one that had been sugared, none just stop like the key was turned off. They all started loosing power and slowing down, them making noise and smoke.
My concern is it's not seized now, plus there no reason so far that it was or even a cause that you can point out.

I was in the middle of driving and it suddenly stopped. I don't think that it was the starter. And there is no check engine light. Once it unstuck itself, I tried starting it. It cranked up and ran, but there was no oil pressure and it was a lumpy idle. Like it was unbalanced or something. I don't believe that it is seized cause I can turn it freely, I just wanna get it working!!!

I almost want to buy another XJ and just swap everything over, plus I would get one with a stick shift.

This problem is a good example when it would gave been good to have a dealer scan.It would for one thing show if you lost oil pressure, voltage, miss in a cyclinder, it could have provided a key for this puzzle.

XJjosh said:
I was in the middle of driving and it suddenly stopped. I don't think that it was the starter. And there is no check engine light. Once it unstuck itself, I tried starting it. It cranked up and ran, but there was no oil pressure and it was a lumpy idle. Like it was unbalanced or something. I don't believe that it is seized cause I can turn it freely, I just wanna get it working!!!
And even then no check egine light?

i read each page of this and sisn't see if you pulled the bearing caps. In my Civic i siezed the engine and all i had was a flicker of the oil light i didn't think much of it and about a half hour later as soon as i pulled out of an intersection and the car picked up about 2 psi of boost it just died on me, no real signs of anything i could have easily missed the oil light. pull the caps and see what they look like, i know you said there was no metal in the pan but if your having these kinds of problem shaving have to be somewhere. if the caps look good i say torque them back down and a little oil in the cylinders and see if it goes. i'm thinking bearings.

langer1 said:
Pull the head at least but I still thing your problem was electrical.
I have seen many cases where a starter will stick and jam if it don't get enough power.
You could not move the engine you could un-stick it by pushing in reverse with shifter is third for standard shift.
I have also seen several seized engines one that had no oil and one that had been sugared, none just stop like the key was turned off. They all started loosing power and slowing down, them making noise and smoke.
My concern is it's not seized now, plus there no reason so far that it was or even a cause that you can point out.

Dude, it is completely possible for an engine to just act like it shut off when it siezes, especially if the car has an automatic and the converter isn't locked up at the moment of siezure. I've seen it numerous times. In fact, when an engine dies while driving and doesn't crank normally when you try to restart it, it's usually a mechanical problem inside the motor. A bad starter won't cause the engine to stall...in fact if the starter Bendix stayed engaged with the flex plate you'd still be able to turn it by hand easily, and you'd hear the starter being forced to turn, I've seen that too. If the starter kept cranking after the engine was started, you'd hear a horrible screetching/grinding noise as gears stripped, but any way you slice it, a bad starter NEVER has the power to stop an engine from turning. If it's a CMP or CKP sensor, or fuel pump, or whatever, the engine will still crank normally. The only exception is an undetected bad alternator and then the battery dies, but if that's the case you'd be able to EASILY turn the engine by hand.

Just ask my brother, who knows NOTHING about the mechanics of a vehicle. Last year, he was driving his '92 Chevy G20 van (350ci V8, auto) from NJ to FL pulling a small U-haul size trailer. He called me up a day and a half after he left, told me he was driving in VA on the highway and suddenly he put his foot on the gas to maintain speed and there was nothing there, the engine didnt want to restart once he stopped it on the shoulder either. I knew this wasn't good, but I couldn't offer any diagnosis or advice over the phone (although I suspected a bad engine), sure enough, he called me back a few hours later, said AAA towed him to a local shop and the engine was shot. He learned the hard way that an engine (especially an ill-maintained one) can suddenly die with no previous symptoms.

I agree with Funvtec, I think he's got some shot bearings. The question is...did the bad bearings lead to a bad crank, bad journals in the block, or anything else. I think it's in his best interest to get a junkyard motor at this point, or at least send the old block, head, crank, and cam out to a machine shop to be checked before rebuilding it.

Last edited:
Back