• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bigoffroad leafs?

I've run Nationals (custom), RE 1462's, and BigOffroad 6"...the Nationals were way too soft, and provided 2" less lift than what I ordered, the RE's were good but expect to buy a set every year or two, and the BOR are exactly what others have stated: extremely stable but not overly flexy.

As for the shackle, I started with Commanche shackles because the BOR springs were providing 7" of lift even with 200 lbs of weight in the back...but there just wasn't enough flex. So I bought a set of boomerang shackles from ORGS for 1" of additional lift...and the ride was awful. It was so stiff with boomerangs, and the flex to the rear was still extremely limited.

So I went with a set of RE 1.25" shackles, and this is a great combo. The RE's have a half moon cut out of the shackle to provide more clearance to the shackle box, and you could grind off just a bit more to get about the same rearward motion of a boomerang but still keeping the better ride of a shackle that is angled to the rear. I have 8" of lift with this combination.

There are tradeoffs to using the BOR springs. Controlling spring wrap with the top leaf does mean less flex. I find my rig is more stable at 8" of lift with these leafs, both on and offroad, than it was with RE leafs at 6" of lift. Get rubber bushings, not poly (I still have poly and need to change them out to rubber at some point...they aren't bad but the ride is pretty tight). And be careful with that front to rear balance as Beezil pointed out...a slightly stiffer rear suspension with a flexy front can do some funny things at unexpected times. I like the extra stability in the rear to go with long arms up front, especially since my family usually is onboard for wheeling trips and so I really do have a pretty heavy rig and these leafs have been an excellent compromise.

Nay

Does BOR sell front coils? You would think that they should balance well with the rears. Anyone have experience?
mattk

I must say that once upon a time I was swindled into buying National Custom springs. Of course this was way before anybody else was out there. Even before Rubicon Express. It was a big mistake. Not enough lift from the get go and they sagged every year since. I replaced them with a used set of Rustys 4.5" with some of the National leafs added in and ran that for awhile. On my latest rig, I did some frame reinforcement and moved the front spring mount about 6" forward and installed some Dodge 1500 truck springs (backward) with a 2" block (with the centering pin moved forward 1") to end up about 8" in the rear with the axle moved about 1" back from stock and I've got about the longest factory springs out there. I needed to keep the overload leaf in place, but that acts as an anti wrap bar as well as not letting the springs go into negative arch and sagging. I actually added another leaf to the pack from a second set of main Dodge leaves cut down and the ride is not bad at all. Load carrying ability seems to be better than any other spring I have run, and flex really isn't all that bad. Probably not as good as some at compression, but that just keeps my tires out of the body. Droop seems pretty decent and I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Been driving it like this for about a year now doing dd duty and various wheeling trips including BOTWII. Oh, the springs were only $75 too. Jeff :)

I got my quote from alcan today, they said 200 each for the springs. Custom made to my specifications. Seems like the best option right now.

I'm sure there is an easy way to post pictures but I dont know how,so...for pictures of my hot rod follow these directions.Go to www.bmja.org then click on the gossip page,then scroll down to other talk and click it,then scroll down to "We need your pictures" and click it,then scroll down to JerryLake and click it,then click on 2003 Turkey Fry.It's the only XJ in the pics.The pictures are from Paragon Adventure Park-Pick Your Poison and Q trails.

magoo117 said:
I'm sure there is an easy way to post pictures but I dont know how,so...for pictures of my hot rod follow these directions.Go to www.bmja.org then click on the gossip page,then scroll down to other talk and click it,then scroll down to "We need your pictures" and click it,then scroll down to JerryLake and click it,then click on 2003 Turkey Fry.It's the only XJ in the pics.The pictures are from Paragon Adventure Park-Pick Your Poison and Q trails.
How many credit hours is all that worth. Sheesh!

John B said:
JohnJohn...

I'm planning a cross country run late summer this year. I'm currently running your 6" leaves.

I'd like to lower the XJ to around 6" (currently 8.5") and run my 33's, what's the net average with your 4" pack?

I'll be towing a 52 M100 trailer behind the XJ with lots of camping gear etc. I also have an aftermarket rear bumper/carrier,tools etc.

4" while towing...remember to add you shackle height to that.

JohnJohn

Back