• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bigoffroad leafs?

I called National with the part # I got from Mark for the ORG National spring pack. National told me it was no longer available and I would need to order a custom spring pack. I'm now also consider BOR spring pack or Skyjacker. Any views on the Skyjacker 6" or 8" springs.

I've never run Skyjacker springs on any of my vehicles so I can't say anything from my experience. From what I've heard they are poorly built suspension components. Im not sure if thats the springs, or just the control arms, etc.

But this is all hear-say, so take it with a grain of salt.

BobCSmith said:
I called National with the part # I got from Mark for the ORG National spring pack. National told me it was no longer available and I would need to order a custom spring pack. I'm now also consider BOR spring pack or Skyjacker. Any views on the Skyjacker 6" or 8" springs.
a friend of mine has the Skyjacker 6" RR kit, and has had it for almost 4 years (basically, when it first came out)

with a 1.5" BB on top of the kit, he still has a solid 7.5" of lift and he's not easy on his junk, I'd say the rear end of his XJ has about 350-400lbs of extra stuff in it at all times not including the rear bumper/tire carrier and rack.

from what I've seen, looks like good stuff. the springs are flexy and balanced very well front to rear. I've always heard people puttin down skyjacker, but anyone I've wheeled with that has their stuff is happy with it.

Try your absolute hardest not to by skyjacker leafs! I ran 8" springs and horrible flex and ride. There coils on the other hand were awsome. Try to follow goatmans advice on this. he is master of the leafs.

MATT

You are absolutely correct in what you say. My experience has been a mirror image of yours from the lift heigth to the need for boomerangs. I'm very happy with my BOR springs even tho they took a bit of breaking in. My R***y's sagged after one trip.

old_man said:
I'm running a set of the "4's" that really yield about 6". I love them. I run a stroker and I pretzeled a set of Rusty's on my first trail run with the stroker. Beat the hell out of the BigOffroad's and no problems. I've been told that they are Alcan's that are manufactured to his specs. They are on my DD/trail rig.

Oh, by the way. If you want to use these springs, you should really get a set of boomerang shackles, otherwise your old shackles will limit your articulation and can actually damage your springs.

Tom Houston

so i have a set of alcan 8" lift springs for 200# payload.

i actually got about 11" from these springs and a boomerang shackle. there pretty new, but there stiff as hell and im going to start removing leafs out of the pack until im happy.

i'll sell them for pretty cheap if someone is interested :D

or i will trade someone for some 5.5"-6" springs... :shhh:

if i were to do it again i would get some smaller springs (5"-6") and run some longer shackles.

JohnJohn...

I'm planning a cross country run late summer this year. I'm currently running your 6" leaves.

I'd like to lower the XJ to around 6" (currently 8.5") and run my 33's, what's the net average with your 4" pack?

I'll be towing a 52 M100 trailer behind the XJ with lots of camping gear etc. I also have an aftermarket rear bumper/carrier,tools etc.

I've decided to get a set of springs made for my specifications from Alcan, 7" of lift with a 75-100 pound payload plus shackles and I should be close to my goal. If I end up with more payload I'll add some short blocks. When you order from Alcan you can get military wrap, and custom center pin locations. Im going to be moving my rear axle back about an inch for the added clearance. (I have a 4 door)

I have BOR 6" springs with 1 1/2" shackles.It gave me 9-10 inches of lift with all of my spares,tools and spare tire in it.I run 38's with TJ flares.They dont really flex all that well but the are doing the job with no problems,no axle wrap and they havent sagged at all.

magoo117 said:
I have BOR 6" springs with 1 1/2" shackles.It gave me 9-10 inches of lift with all of my spares,tools and spare tire in it.I run 38's with TJ flares.They dont really flex all that well but the are doing the job with no problems,no axle wrap and they havent sagged at all.

What shackles are you running?
What do you have up front?
Im goin for the same hieght as you

I'm not sure what kind of shackles they are,maybe R-E or Daystar.They are the regular lifted straight shackles.In the front I have Clayton Long Arms,Skyjacker 8" springs and 1 1/2" spacers.I'm getting ready to put quarter elliptics in the back.I want the back to flex as well as the front.

you have any pics of your rig?

Back