• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big XJ's in VA-laws

good luck with the 12.5 38's

buddy of mine got pulled in dec. and the trooper pulled out the tape and a digital device to measure sound. told him in '06 they were comming down on peeps too high and too low. also your exhaust better not be to loud either!

YIKES

Today I was at the local Jeep dealer to pick up some parts.One of the mech. was on a road test and followed me on the lot.We know each other and while we exchanced howdys, He inquired how much lift I had?I replyed 4 1/2" He said not to bring it here for inspection because the laws in Va had been re-written and any thing over 3" was not allowed.
Another mech in the work area said the same,and this is NOT the 22" bumper rule,but a suspension rule.And yes they will measure reguardless of what you tell them it is.He offered to show me the new regs but I declined.I should have looked at them to find the section # he was talking about for our info.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
He said not to bring it here for inspection because the laws in Va had been re-written and any thing over 3" was not allowed.
Another mech in the work area said the same,and this is NOT the 22" bumper rule,but a suspension rule.And yes they will measure reguardless of what you tell them it is.He offered to show me the new regs but I declined.I should have looked at them to find the section # he was talking about for our info.
Wayne
:squint:

i'll have to ask my friend that does inspections to see if he's heard about this...

edit:

did some quick googling.

according to the va administrative code of the general assembly the only mention of a 3" lift limit pertains to BODY LIFTS...
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-110

4. Any modification has been made to the suspension to cause the vehicle body or chassis to come in contact with the ground or expose the fuel tank to damage from collision.

Reject the vehicle if it has been modified by any means so as to raise its body more than three inches above the manufacturer's attachment points or the frame rail (exclude original manufacturer's spacers, washers or bushings when measuring).

Last edited:
it says no lift blocks in between the body and coilspring as well. i passed in OCT with 2'' blocks on 3'' springs, but it says it was revised in DEC.....

skyjackedxj96 said:
it says no lift blocks in between the body and coilspring as well. i passed in OCT with 2'' blocks on 3'' springs, but it says it was revised in DEC.....

are you talking about a spacer on top of your coils? if so...
2. The front end suspension has been modified by the use of lift blocks (a lift block is defined as any solid piece of wood, metal, or other material placed between and separating the vehicle's front axle and the springs). This does not prohibit the use of shims that may be necessary to correct front end alignment.

so you can't put a spacer UNDER your coil. but on top is just fine.

Stand-by .I.ll go back next week and find out for sure,Both these guys are state inspectors and have worked for the Jeep dealer many years.They SHOULD know there is no BODY lift on a XJ.
Wayne

FitchVA said:
are you talking about a spacer on top of your coils? if so...

so you can't put a spacer UNDER your coil. but on top is just fine.

yes i was speaking about OVER the coil, i misread that. I will see,-as long as its my daily driver im gonna stay with what i got. but i have a hard time resisting to go bigger, being as i went from 2''-3.5''-4.5''-6.5''-9.5''

This is just ONE more reason that I am GLAD that I moved out of there back in '97. At least here, in KY., I can pretty much lift my junk as high as I want. The biggest concern seems to be "cautious, safe and prudent ( whatever the heck THAT is?)." Oh, yeah- only a few cities have the emissions testing, and even then, most of the time if you FAIL, you can be exempted from future testing by simply bringing in a repair quote for the failed systems' repair that is in excess of around $500. Tried checking the cost of factory exhuast system parts, lately? Gee, I think that I am actually starting to like living in this backwards state!

i now have a f- it attitude. f em, if they wanna pull me, i guess go ahead and give me a ticket. id rather drive a DD that is very offroad capable for any situation and have everyone come talk to me and say nice jeep when i get gas.

Back