• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big XJ's in VA-laws

RyanM

NAXJA Forum User
hello all, im Ryan new to fairly new to forum. im ffrom central Virginia. was just wondering how many of you have come across a##hole cops who gave you a ticket bc of the wack VA lift laws.

currently i got 9'' ,longarms and 36's, no problems yet. i want to go 12 inch someday with 38's ( i know why do i need that) now im 34,33'' ground-bumper.

i heard troopers are bad. but for the most part if you drive with some sense they wont stop you.

its also true that a shop cant not pass you for lift height over 22". ive def seen YJ's and TJ's on 37-38's and they are driving around all the time.

it's true that va lift laws suck doneky nuts. and so far (knock on wood) i've slipped under the radar. but only at 4.5" of lift and 32's, i can still blend in with full size vehicles. but at the height you're at and going to, you'll stick out for sure.

and in large part, yes, it does matter who is on duty when they see you. i've been door to door with cops at lights where i'm bumper to bumper with a vw bug which makes me look even higher. and they politely return the nod of the head i try to give LEO's.

a local news station got it up their butts to run a few news stories on this issue which got everone's dander up. before i had my xj inspected not too long after this, i was afraid of it failing inspection. so i called a shop to see for myself. they said that they don't measure that, it's up to the cops to see if you're legal or not.

Yeah the laws suck,22" is the limit for pass vehicles,and when I was at 3" i was over that.As long as everything else is legal,lights,brakes etc. an inspector will pass you.BUT the troppers will have the final say on the height issue.
I pass them most every day,and while they check it out I have never been stopped,but I,m only at 4.5 " which is smaller than some stock Ford SD PU,s.
Drive responsabley(sp) and they will probably let you slide.
Wayne

i actually got pulled over a while back in mine! he pulled me cuz i had a headlight out(round here they dont care but little crap goes wrong and then comes the whole list at once! he actuall law is 24"from the bottom off the bumper(remember a jeep is considered a passenger vehicle) he said however i had up to 30"(i have d44 half ton axles) i was sitting at 29 1/4". i was also driveing with tags from my other jeep. no insurance, un registered, my stinger sticks out to far(whats up with that), the headlight out, no rear marker(no flares or light over rear tires to mark width). and some other minor crap, anyway lift laws do suck but up grade your axles and you gain 6" on the law!!! if you go 3/4ton axles you get 31" and full ton is 32". oh and on that ticket he wrote, he threw it away told me to keep it off the road and use it as a toy then he gave me some cool ideas, and told me about his bronco! which sounded nice.

Wrong, it doesnt matter what axles you have its set by the weight of the vehical that is placed on the drivers side door, Ive gotten a lift ticket but the only reason why I got pulled over was because I was speeding, The cop gave the lift ticket instead of the speeding ticket, He was cool in my book.. As long as you drive with a good head on your shoulders, the cops will car less, there more out to catch the ricers that always like to race..

Inspection: if they ever tell you that you fail because of bumper height, tell them they are full of it, and ask them to show you in the regulations, the dont check it, thats up to the cops.. They can get you if you have extra lights on the vehical, if they have covers on them then your good, MUST HAVE COVERS TO BE LEGAL, and dont have any extra lights on your REAR BUMPERS

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-1063

I've had this aguement more times then i like to admit with the inspecters in my shop. 22" bumper height and Yes, Cherokees weight in more so they "Technically" fall into the 29" bumper height, Most Inspecters will look at them as Passenger cars due to the lack of a seperation to cab and bed. (i guess that was the defination of a truck back in the day) one thing that will help is modify your bumpers, the measurements may then be taken off your frame and get you a couple more inches. But after living in C-Ville w/ my old XJ all I have to say to skyjackedxj96 is Good Luck. there are so many cops tripping over themselves in C-ville that if you some much as fart they'll impound your rig.

heres the link to the rest of VA's motor laws.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+TOC4602000

JUst something I noticed a while back...

My VA registration said it was a station wagon.

Took it down to DMV and got it changed to SUV.

That way it's not looked upon as a "passenger Vehicle"

Point blank, the measurments are 29 in front 30 in the rear, it doesnt matter if you have bigger axles or not they go by manufactures weight, and yes if you have after market lights they have to be coverd up or removed....

Trust me, Ive gotten a lift ticket at 8 inches and 35s, Ive got friends that are cops and they say that there is no way of getting around it, its up to the cops discresion to give you a ticket for the hiegth

yeah, i was pulled over and the cop started questioning me on my lift, and i fibbed and told him it was right at 22 inches. I mean how many actualy carry tape measures with them, or is that something they have to carry.

scottsxj said:
yeah, i was pulled over and the cop started questioning me on my lift, and i fibbed and told him it was right at 22 inches. I mean how many actualy carry tape measures with them, or is that something they have to carry.

lol how much lift you at?

Also, there is a Green XJ around here on 35's like a 8 inch lift. goes to pvcc, anybody know this guy? me and him are the biggest xj's that drive around town, id like to talk to him

skyjackedxj96 said:
lol how much lift you at?

Also, there is a Green XJ around here on 35's like a 8 inch lift. goes to pvcc, anybody know this guy? me and him are the biggest xj's that drive around town, id like to talk to him

im setting at about 3 inches in the front and 4inches in the back and 32's. From the bumper i measure like 27 or 28 so im way over even at such a low lift. so im sure at 9 inches and 36's you are way over

scottsxj said:
im setting at about 3 inches in the front and 4inches in the back and 32's. From the bumper i measure like 27 or 28 so im way over even at such a low lift. so im sure at 9 inches and 36's you are way over
for sure when the install was done i was 34'' front 33 rear, probably settled a bit tho, lol

i think you guys are missing something.

§ 46.2-1063. Alteration of suspension system; bumper height limits; raising body above frame rail.

No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a passenger motor vehicle if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, are not within the range of fourteen inches to twenty-two inches above the ground. ...blah blah blah...

No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a truck if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, do not fall within the limits specified herein for its gross vehicle weight rating category. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,500 pounds or less shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,501 pounds to 7,500 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 29 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 7,501 pounds to 15,000 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 31 inches. Bumper height limitations contained in this section shall not apply to trucks with gross vehicle weight ratings in excess of 15,000 pounds. For the purpose of this section, "truck" includes pickup and panel trucks, and "gross vehicle weight ratings" means manufacturer's gross vehicle weight ratings established for that vehicle as indicated by a number, plate, sticker, decal, or other device affixed to the vehicle by its manufacturer.

In the absence of bumpers, and in cases where bumper heights have been lowered, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the frame rail. However, if bumper heights have been raised, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the main horizontal bumper bar.

No vehicle shall be operated on a public highway if it has been modified by any means so as to raise its body more than three inches, in addition to any manufacturer's spacers and bushings, above the vehicle's frame rail or manufacturer's attachment points on the frame rail.

This section shall not apply to specially designed or modified motor vehicles when driven off the public highways in races and similar events. Such motor vehicles may be lawfully towed on the highways of the Commonwealth.

(1973, c. 498, § 46.1-282.1; 1978, c. 605; 1980, c. 342; 1986, c. 570; 1989, c. 727; 1991, c. 688; 1992, c. 864; 1993, c. 73.)

the 28" rule only applies if you have TRUCK as your registered truck type. the dmv doesn't consider the xj a truck...but a passenger vehicle or station wagon. ...so 22" is the max

interestingly, mine says SUV and that isn't listed anywhere in the va laws.

Well, also realize that the xj is a unibody and "No vehicle shall be operated on a public highway if it has been modified by any means so as to raise its body more than three inches, in addition to any manufacturer's spacers and bushings, above the vehicle's frame rail or manufacturer's attachment points on the frame rail. " applys depending on who you talk to.

I live up in DC and just be a responsible driver, don't weave in and out of traffic and don't speed (you bring enough attention to your vehicle being lifted) and you'll most likly just go unnoticed. I've found that if I stay in the slow lane on the highway that cops don't even notice me. They are too busy looking at the fast lane with their radar that they won't notice. If in the event that you do get pulled over, just be nice and polite and remember those numbers. =) I've been pulled only once in DC and it was because I was driving (7.5" and 35's) downtown with all those tiny little cars, so I stood out like a sore thumb. DC cops are not the same as VA cops, so just be observant of where you are. I got away because I wasn't in their jurisdiction.

As far as the state inspeciton goes, just go to any hick town with one gas station and the dog on the front porch and ask them to do it. I did mine in Goochland County (family lives there) and the guy just kicked the tires and looked at the brakes and lights, took less than 10 minutes. But like everyone has said, it is up to the cop, so don't be dumb.

53guy said:
As far as the state inspeciton goes, just go to any hick town with one gas station and the dog on the front porch and ask them to do it. I did mine in Goochland County (family lives there) and the guy just kicked the tires and looked at the brakes and lights, took less than 10 minutes. But like everyone has said, it is up to the cop, so don't be dumb.
lol, u ever heard of FLUVANNA? same thing there. well today i was rollin like 90 down I81 north to Harrisonburg and a malibu undercover pulled out, i slowed quickly and go in the rightlane and cruised to 70, didnt even look at me when he passed. i think im goin up to 12.5'' next year and do the 38.5 boggers, got to, too addicted.

F the System!

lol, the system is designed to protect people and keep the peace, but more lately, I'm thinking it is turning into nothing but a money pot for the state government. I betcha they get the majority of their money from tickets and fines. Don't do much protecting any more. (and as far as the lift laws are concerned, I think that the government needs to be educated on the proper and safe way that a lot of us lift our vehicles as the law pretty much is designed to keep trucks that are made with bubble gum, wood blocks, and duck tape off the road.)

Back