• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big guys and xj?

93Jeepin

NAXJA Forum User
Let me know guys.I am looking to buy 95-99(then installing fulltraction LA kit and 35's)

Im 6'5 bout 290,Let me know how you guys fit.

Eric

I'm 6'4" 240....fit in my MJ fine....My xj was even more comfortable. An inch and another 50 lbs., I dunno, I'd take a long test drive.

Im only 6'2" 280. . but Ive had my football guys in my xj and the biggest was 6'6" 320 an he fit fine. . so. . .Ive always found it spacious

Long test drive is right!

I'm 6'-3", 240#, and drive a '00 2-door automatic. Head room is not so good for me. The bigger doorway is nice, but I can't wear a helmet (autocross) when I have the driver's seat adjusted for good arm position (elbows slightly bent), and leg extension. There is about 3/4" between my an-hatted head and the headliner.

The factory seats in mine lack in the thigh support, and the transmission tunnel has an intrusion right about where I like to have my heel. The result is that my right foot is often held in a duck-footed position (heel in, toes out). My hip and knee on my right leg start bothering me at about 45 minutes of driving. I end up using cruise control on the freeway just to let me move my foot and leg around.

I'm planning to upgrade to a Corbeau performance driver's seat with some more thigh support, and probably fabricate some new seat mounts that lower the height of the seat, and maybe tip the back edge of the seat down some more, to get my head out of the headliner, and lower the effect of my fat butt on the C.G., like in rally cars. The overall legroom is pretty good. With cruise control on, I can stretch both legs out almost all the way, though my right foot is between the brake and throttle pedal, and I'm concerned about snagging something should I have to use the brake or throttle quickly.

On the whole, the fit is ok, like all the controls come to hand readily, and the steering wheel sits right in front of the driver (not like the L.R. D90, which is way to the right, if I recall). The rearview mirror can be in the way of a good front view to the right of the vehicle, but can be moved up a little higher without removing and reinstalling completely. I haven't spent much time in the back seat, but it's not too small, it's just getting in and out that's a hassel (2-dr.). If your'e a perfectionist, and don't mind tweaking and a little extra cash, the overall fit is workable. If you want to cage it properly(inside), things are really going to be tight, though...

Last edited:
I'm 6'5", 238lbs. and I really don't have any problems in my '98 four door. I just have to have a little bit of "ghetto lean" in the seat to give me the necessary headroom. The seats are the only things that I have really had a problem with. The frame welds on the driver's side started to tear out after about a year and a half. I fixed it for now by adding some bolts, but I think that further down the road I'm going to have to replace the seat. . . .

thecroat1 said:
I'm 6'5", 238lbs. and I really don't have any problems in my '98 four door. I just have to have a little bit of "ghetto lean" in the seat to give me the necessary headroom. The seats are the only things that I have really had a problem with. The frame welds on the driver's side started to tear out after about a year and a half. I fixed it for now by adding some bolts, but I think that further down the road I'm going to have to replace the seat. . . .

I had the same problem, I'm 6'6" about 270, had the seat welds break so I took it to a local shop and they stripped the covers, rewelded the broken ones and reinforced the seat frames, then put new and better padding in and and the cover back on. Best $50 investment for the XJ and me, my back has been fine ever since. It was not until my son pointed out to me that I and anybody else who was driving was sitting lopsided that I did it.

I don't know if I am a "Big" guy, I'm 6'3" and about 235lbs. My wife and I have had 3 XJ's over the past 12 years.

There is a difference between the way my 87 2 Door Laredo and my Wifes 96 4 door sport fit me. I think it is the seat that makes the biggest difference.

As armchairkrawler stated, our 96 is a bear to drive for a while. I have to XXXX my heel in to avoid the tranny tunnel. Her Sport doesn't have the fully adjustable seats. My Laredo does, and it is quite comfortable in comparison. I herniated a disc a few years back and like my seats about as clost to 90 degrees as I can get them. With the seat on the Laredo, I can change the pitch of the seat to raise the front and give me more thigh support and better head room.

If you look at one, check to see if it has an adjustable seat. IMO, they make a huge difference in comfort.

WTF? It edited a legitimate work like co*k? I was talking angle, not anatomy.

Last edited:
Maybe you should use "tilt". :laugh3:

My 90 2-door Laredo is pretty comfy for my 6'3", 200# self. With the seat tilted back a bit, even with a sunroof I have lots of headroom, that's one of the reasons I bought it, I could wear a hat and still have headroom. The 98+ four doors feel cramped to me.

Fred

I built a cherokee for my buddy who is 6'8" tall.

He had to have stock seats and move it back all the way but fits fine. He likes it better than his toyos he use to wheel.

hinkley

6'4" 245# here, and after the big boy brackets and a little "ghetto-lean" I fit fine in my 98 4dr. Though, I wish chryco keep the tilt seat design that my 89 laredo had. That was a sweet set-up.

Somehow, a different thought comes to mind when I try to imagine a 6'5" 290lb. guy trying to fit in an XJ.

clowncar.jpg

yeah the newer 98+ sucks for me..lol

ill try to find one in the 93-96 range...maybe they'll be a little roomier for me.

i relly need a diet.!

Eric

Back