• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

17" big brake upgrade for XJ?

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
currently running a vanco/black magic upgrade on my xj, the one for 15" rims. Braking on the trails is sporting --- in 4lo, with my setup (zz6 motor/4.11 gears, 35"tires), when crawling the brakes fight to hold on. I'm looking into getting a bigger, "big brake" upgrade. Since I'll likely have to go bigger on my wheels, looking for either a 16" or 17" rim. So -- questions-

* I see both vanco and wilwood sell a big brake upgrade for 16" rims. Vanco is a 2 piston, wilwood is a 4 piston, 12" rotor (can't find how big the vanco rotor is). Any experience with either?

* for 17" rims, the only thing I see out there is the vanco kit --- anyone running anything else? I'm leaning towards going with 17" rims, 35" tires, just to kill this brake issue once and for all, not bothering with 16's. But other than vnaco, doesn't seem like much else out there.

thanks!

I looked into the wilwood setup a while back the issue is making sure you have the right knuckles to make it work. I did not and finding them at the time I was doing it was almost impossible. I ended up going through a friend that had designed a kit to work a while back and I just had to piece it together. I do notice a significant difference with the wilwoods

Why not do the WJ brake swap?

I am also looking at the Big Brake Set up. The plan is to upgrade from 31" to 35" tires. Who knows the part number of the YJ knuckles? I think the wilwood kit would be superior. I have a 2000 XJ, the booster should be adequate.

I am also looking at the Big Brake Set up. The plan is to upgrade from 31" to 35" tires. Who knows the part number of the YJ knuckles? I think the wilwood kit would be superior. I have a 2000 XJ, the booster should be adequate.

The JY is the only place to get YJ knuckles, you'd be way better off the the WJ brakes, that what I did on my 2000. Remember brake pads are extremely important in your overall braking performance.

https://i.imgur.com/VirVRfC.jpg

VirVRfC.jpg

are you still running drums in the back? If you are I would adjust the freewheel drag. I'm running 30s and theres a good amount of drag and it stops real good

I knew Scott would chime in! I've owned many sets of Wilwood's and they have absolutely no use on a Jeep. All their pads are designed for fast speeds and fast stops, they don't make a pad for "Crawling", getting wet, or not having built up temperatures. Besides the extreme cost's you can't get parts off the shelf at your (out on the road) parts store.

I'm sure I'm going to get shamed here, but....
I have stock xj front brakes and 8.8 disks on the rear and I can lock up my 35s on the road..... 96 2 door...
I figured I would do the wj swap after 35s, but I don't see a reason since it stops great and I'm only at 3.5 inches of lift... When I go higher I may do it for better steering....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jmg222
Did you do the break in procedures for the black magic pads? It makes a HUGE difference! If you drive conservatively and don’t let them get hot that break in sort of wears off. Go through the process again and see if breaking improves.
Four or five runs from 40mph to almost 0 (be aggressive) then drive around for 15 minutes to let them cool, taking care not to ever stop with pressure on the brakes (use your ebrake). Then do it again.
Extra points if you do that two days in a row.
Can’t stress what a different this makes.

I am running the same brakes as you and have a monster engine LS3 and my brakes are the least of my problems!

You still running the 1988 booster? Upgrading that would likely have a bigger improvement than upgrading the calipers.

no, I replaced that a while ago with a late model booster, I think from a 98.

Jmg222
Did you do the break in procedures for the black magic pads? It makes a HUGE difference! If you drive conservatively and don’t let them get hot that break in sort of wears off. Go through the process again and see if breaking improves.
Four or five runs from 40mph to almost 0 (be aggressive) then drive around for 15 minutes to let them cool, taking care not to ever stop with pressure on the brakes (use your ebrake). Then do it again.
Extra points if you do that two days in a row.
Can’t stress what a different this makes.

I am running the same brakes as you and have a monster engine LS3 and my brakes are the least of my problems!

interesting. I'll have to try that. didn't think that would impact low speed crawling braking, but its a free potential fix, thanks.

Do the Vanco's use a custom pad or do they cross reference with any car manufacturers pad?

Do the Vanco's use a custom pad or do they cross reference with any car manufacturers pad?

Any pad the right size will fit but almost everyone uses black magic pads. They perform really well, much better than any other I have experience with.

It appears they are Ford Explorer Sport Trak calipers which would mean that you can upgrade to some EBC pads.

Back