• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 trans cooler upgrade over stock

These appear to be made by Empi Volkswagen Aftermarket. Not for sure if they are the actual manufacturer or a distributor.

Empi has been around a long time, I have dealt with them many times over the years but they don't "make" anything!

Did more searching, I think the derale is going to be a good choice for my purposes.

The factory "upcountry" towing cooler isnt leaking, does anyone think its worth leaving in and just add the new bigger cooler to it?
Does anyone know what the factory transmission cooler is rated for? (not the radiator trans cooler), I'm just curious what they were capable of.

On a side note the Derale barbs are 11/32 and the factory lines, if I'm not mistaken are 3/8. I assume a hose clamp will work fine on these?

The factory flex hose coming off trans hard lines is slightly smaller than 3/8". It was a PITA to fit 3/8" barb fittings onto that hose. If you have a factory trans cooler, I don't know about that, but I can say (as I mentioned earlier) that 3/8" hose is the correct size to use for the connection to the cooler. The 11/32" hose that all the cooler companies is too small. It would be a PITA to put that hose on one of their coolers.

Gotcha, I just don't want it to leak.

As for the factory hose I thought ide read it was 3/8s. Maybe it's 11/32 which is why the 3/8 barb was difficult for you?
I'll see soon, a derale cooler I'd otw and I haven't decided if I'll run both trans coolers and delete running it through the radiator like smokey said, or if I'll running them all inline.

I ended up moving the stock cooler further toward the electric fan, Ill install a switch tomorrow. I also added a derale 13503 cooler in front of the mechanical fan and deleted the rad cooler portion for now. Now Ill really be styling over the speedbumps at the mall.

I ended up moving the stock cooler further toward the electric fan, Ill install a switch tomorrow. I also added a derale 13503 cooler in front of the mechanical fan and deleted the rad cooler portion for now. Now Ill really be styling over the speedbumps at the mall.

I ended up putting a Derale 13503 in front of the mechanical fan, and while I don't have a trans temperature sensor and gauge installed yet, my IR pyrometer is showing a solid 15F temperature drop across the 13503 at idle. Should be even greater drop when the vehicle is at speed or when the mech fan is spinning faster.

Back