• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bfg's or mt/r's?

cal said:
You get what you pay for though.

Not true... I'm not stating that it's this way with the MTR's, which are meant for the crowd who doesn't really care if a tire takes 10 oz. to balance.

But, for what it's worth the shop I work at is a tire rack recommended tire installer - we see alot of tires, and most are for high end vehicles (vette's, mustangs, performance stuff) and some are for trucks.

With goodyear tires, we constantly have problems - from as small as the tire takes quite a bit of weight to balance, all the way up to the belts are skewed from the factory....what is funny though is the eagle F1 tires (which are 150+++ per tire, and goodyears top performance tire) we have the most problems with as far as out of round and belt issues go. Truck tires aren't as bad, but I've seen highway/all terrain tires the same way.

Not saying all goodyear tires are junk, but it seems like more often than not we see a "rash" of shitty production runs from them....michellin/bridgestone/avon etc. never seem to have that problem

I've ran both. If you are more in the mud, go BFG's. Anything else I'd say MTR's. My next set will be either Baja Claws, or Truxus MT's.

MTRs are nicer on the street than BFG MTs which ride rough. I lowered my psi because I thought I was near max, but I was 10 psi from the max and they will were pretty hard and bumpy. MTRs are very quite on the street and just all around an awesome tire. You'd have to give me a free set of tires for me to try anything else. :laugh3:

Troy

Matt98XJ said:
I've ran both. If you are more in the mud, go BFG's. Anything else I'd say MTR's. My next set will be either Baja Claws, or Truxus MT's.
I've had all four of those tires. I won't buy BFGs anymore, got tired of ripping open sidewalls. MTRs are virtually bulletproof, heavy, kinda loud after many miles of wear (but wear well) and suck in mud. Baja Claws... noisey and wear fast. Interco TrXus are my favorites...very close to actual size (a 35 measures 35") ride real nice on the highway, can take some serious abuse off road (I'm kinda hard on tires) and wear very well but, if you're trying to decide between BFGs and MTRs, no question....MTRs. P.S. the latest set of tires on my DD Toyota p/u are the cheapest I've ever owned.....Kumhos, they're suprisingly tough (I beat on them pretty hard over the weekend) and are supposed to go for 60,000+ miles (we'll see) couldn't beat $130 a piece for 35s............Hans

I've had two sets of BFG's, and two sets of MT/R's. I think the MT/R's are the best tire you can get for great off road performance and good highway performance. I was very happy to get rid of the BFG's after cutting many, many sidewalls. The MT/R's can also get cut, but not nearly as easily as the BFG's. I won't buy BFG MT's again but I will happily buy MT/R's again.

BTW, this is very subjective, but I think the BFG's are noisier as they wear. And, I've never balanced any of my MT/R's, two sets, one 35's and the other 37's, and it drives at highway speed with no vibrations. This is just my experience, and it has been very good.

Last edited:
the MTs might not have as good a sidewall as the MTRs, but its a proven fact that the MTs are better in mud and clean much better.

TRXus MTs

whatever you do, make sure you rotate or ull be sorry. I ruined a set of MT by not rotating them enough. Tell you wife that if you dont rotate your tires every 3000 miles that its gonna cost you another 500$ and you can guarante that those tires will be rotated.

wow, not sure how youre using those tires to already wear out 50% at 13k miles. my bro has run 1 set of 31's for about 20k miles and it didn't even get to 50%. he's now on 33's and they are also wearing great. the goodyears are better for the rocks as they are a softer compound and grip better to the rocks. Snow and mud the BFG's will outperform the goodyears. the trxxus are also amazing tires in all 3 of those sectors, but are a little on the heavy side and take A LOT of weights to balance.

Back