• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sharp rocks in Socal?

Anybody read the April 2011 issue of Four Wheeler? I was reading through it this morning and came across a "Massive Mud Tire Shootout". They looked at 10 popular mud tires and ran them through a bunch of tests. They looked at on-road and off-road manners. They looked at Mud performance the heaviest but also looked at many other categories including the ease of balancing. Here are the reslults from Best to Worst Mud tire on the market. The results may surprise you. The 1st place tire has been a tire I have been telling people about for a while. It looks like I'm not crazy. All tires tested were 37"x12.5x17 and all were tested on the same JK.

1st: Hankook Dynapro MT
2nd: Goodyear MT/R Kevlar
3rd: Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ
4th: Nitto Trail Grappler MT
5th: Yokohoma Geolander MT
6th: Pit Bull Rocker
7th: Interco Super Swamper TrXus
8th: BFG MT KM2
9th: Pro Comp Xtreme MT
10th:Maxxis Trepador

BFG and Maxxis being at the bottom don't surprise me but Pro Comp does. There's the results. If you want to get all the facts on testing and detailed results then check out the magazine.

Funny since the MTRs are not mud tires.

Last edited:
Gotta few extra grand layin' around so I can try our a few different brands of tires before I decide on my next set?

Wish I did for ya but nope.

In all seriousness, no matter what tires you wish to have buy them soon. The raw price of rubber has skyrocketed in the last few months and I am buying finished product overseas these days at a 30% increase over last year this time. Indonesian rubber crops got hit hard a few months ago and there is a huge shortage.

Funny since the MTRs are not mud tires.

Even more reason why they are great tires. They get tested against mud tires and still come out on top.

Back