• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sharp rocks in Socal?

i love how everyone hates on bfg, yet nobody offers a better alternative?

Cooper STT, Hankook Dynapro MT, Mickey Thompson MT, Pro Comp Extreme MT, and the obvious Wrangler MTR Kevlar are all better in almost every tested category. There's some alternatives. This comparison was done against the old BFG mud design. Don't have much knowledge or experience with all-terrains.

Last edited:
Not that I am a noob, but I am curious where the trails are that you (very loose term for the fine wheelin brethren of NAXJA Socal) won't allow BFG tires on due to sidewall damage concerns.....

That was a few years ago. I don't recall where/when but it may have been JV or one of the WCGIC runs but I don't exactly remember. I recall being 'safe' as I had just retired the BFGs for MTRs at the time (circa 2006).

Most likely when I lead future 'heavy rock runs' I will consider not permitting BFGs.

Plus Cal was driving. ;)

Cal also managed to break a 300M U-joint and a Dana 44 front axle shaft at tuckhaven too. He can not ever be used as an example because of the excessive variable of his lack of driving skills. :rolleyes:

i love how everyone hates on bfg, yet nobody offers a better alternative?

MTRs function very well in the rocks and VERY well on the road. Although they *can* be cut, they resist exceptionally well.

Creepy's are better in the rocks and are the most resistant to cutting over anything else I have seen but they do not drive very well on the road.

But no one likes cracker anyway. :)

<<LIKE>>

Most likely when I lead future 'heavy rock runs' I will consider not permitting BFGs.

But you'll allow EVERY OTHER brand of tire out there?? Sorry Avery, but that statement is just plain... :confused1 (can't find the right word).

I don't say this because I have KM2s. I don't do "heavy rock runs", so I could care less. You should make a list of tires that you WILL allow on your elitist rock runs.

But I still love you man. :kissyou:

I USUALLY run MT/R's and love them.... availability is killing my selection choice ....

Tirerack.com is now showing an estimated availability date of April 8 for the MT/R, at least in the 32x11.50x15 size that I've been looking for. So it looks like production may be catching up with demand.

I find it hard to believe that BFG's sidewalls are any worse than Toyo, or General..... and beside the MTRK I don't think Goodyear's sidewalls are any better.

I saw a lot of KOH cars running BFG... how many of them had problems?

but I suppose if you are going on a structured run its up to the leaders to decide.

I have more problems tearing lugs off my tread than I do with my sidewalls... but maybe thats just the Mall-Terrains:spin1:

I can't belive you guys have so many problems with the bfg's, I have the km2s and I have ran rock trails with no issues(jack north,claw,tack,turkey claw,gold mt,john bull) no one has ever excluded me from a trail lol

I saw a lot of KOH cars running BFG... how many of them had problems?

Yup. The desert tires and the Krawlers are nice.
No one on here runs them though.

When it is referred to here on Naxja it is in regards to the MTs and ATs.

But you'll allow EVERY OTHER brand of tire out there?? Sorry Avery, but that statement is just plain... :confused1 (can't find the right word).

I don't say this because I have KM2s. I don't do "heavy rock runs", so I could care less. You should make a list of tires that you WILL allow on your elitist rock runs.

But I still love you man. :kissyou:

:p

The word is ' lastara '

The bigger rock runs are no longer a group of 'cookie cutter' XJs with RE drop bracket lift kits and 5 on 4.5" bolt patterns. The vehicles seem to vary quite a bit and the odds of someone else in the group being able to grab their 'spare 33" ' and loan it is unlikely.

I get a kick on how people defend the BFG tires. Try a few different ones before putting on the flame suit. For those who use their rigs as DDs and still defend the BFG it is really obvious they have never tried a better tire.

I wasn't defending BFG in any way. I was talking about the fact that you would exclude someone based solely on their choice of tire, whatever that may be.

And yes, I have tried several brands of tires on my three Jeeps. And this is my experience with MTRs, which by the way, I attribute as a fluke.

IMG_3912.jpg

I get a kick on how people defend the BFG tires. Try a few different ones before putting on the flame suit. For those who use their rigs as DDs and still defend the BFG it is really obvious they have never tried a better tire.

I dunno... I'm getting over 40k on my 33" mall terrains with moderate wheeling and heavy freeway driving.

and I don't think it would be worth the extra 40$ a tire to get the MTRK's

I would never put them on a dedicated wheeler, but I would rock the KM2's
they use the same sidewall construction as the krawlers... or so says BFG's site.

I wasn't defending BFG in any way. I was talking about the fact that you would exclude someone based solely on their choice of tire, whatever that may be.

And yes, I have tried several brands of tires on my three Jeeps. And this is my experience with MTRs, which by the way, I attribute as a fluke.

IMG_3912.jpg
That tire clearly was abraded by something until the threads were showing. I'm curious how that failure came about.

The bigger rock runs are no longer a group of 'cookie cutter' XJs with RE drop bracket lift kits and 5 on 4.5" bolt patterns. The vehicles seem to vary quite a bit and the odds of someone else in the group being able to grab their 'spare 33" ' and loan it is unlikely.

AW MAN... I HAVE BFG'S, DROP BRACKETS, AND 5 ON 4.5 BOLT PATTERN! I'M COOKIE CUTTER? DANG IT MAN, WHY'D YOU HAVE TO RUIN MY DAY! ;>)

(SORRY FOR CAPS, I HAVE A PROGRAM RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND THAT REQUIRES CAP LOCKS ON)

That tire clearly was abraded by something until the threads were showing. I'm curious how that failure came about.

Tires were about 2 weeks old. Driving up to SoCal Fest in '08 on highway 38. Sidewall blew before Forest Falls, but I didn't realize it right away until Rich got my attention from behind. Threads are showing because the tire got very hot from driving on it after it blew.

After I got a warranty replacement from America's Tire, I sold the tires and wheels to Russ and they're still sitting in his backyard.

Anybody read the April 2011 issue of Four Wheeler? I was reading through it this morning and came across a "Massive Mud Tire Shootout". They looked at 10 popular mud tires and ran them through a bunch of tests. They looked at on-road and off-road manners. They looked at Mud performance the heaviest but also looked at many other categories including the ease of balancing. Here are the reslults from Best to Worst Mud tire on the market. The results may surprise you. The 1st place tire has been a tire I have been telling people about for a while. It looks like I'm not crazy. All tires tested were 37"x12.5x17 and all were tested on the same JK.

1st: Hankook Dynapro MT
2nd: Goodyear MT/R Kevlar
3rd: Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ
4th: Nitto Trail Grappler MT
5th: Yokohoma Geolander MT
6th: Pit Bull Rocker
7th: Interco Super Swamper TrXus
8th: BFG MT KM2
9th: Pro Comp Xtreme MT
10th:Maxxis Trepador

BFG and Maxxis being at the bottom don't surprise me but Pro Comp does. There's the results. If you want to get all the facts on testing and detailed results then check out the magazine.

I was doing what I do best, mall crawling in a campground parking lot and ran over a bottle cap with my less than 1000 mile old KM2's. Couple of plugs later I was good to go.

I was disappointed with the sidewall, but in my opinion my KM2's hooked up better than the new MTR's in Moab. Just my 2 cents.

DSCN1037.jpg

Anybody read the April 2011 issue of Four Wheeler? I was reading through it this morning and came across a "Massive Mud Tire Shootout". They looked at 10 popular mud tires and ran them through a bunch of tests. They looked at on-road and off-road manners. They looked at Mud performance the heaviest but also looked at many other categories including the ease of balancing. Here are the reslults from Best to Worst Mud tire on the market. The results may surprise you. The 1st place tire has been a tire I have been telling people about for a while. It looks like I'm not crazy. All tires tested were 37"x12.5x17 and all were tested on the same JK.

1st: Hankook Dynapro MT
2nd: Goodyear MT/R Kevlar
3rd: Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ
4th: Nitto Trail Grappler MT
5th: Yokohoma Geolander MT
6th: Pit Bull Rocker
7th: Interco Super Swamper TrXus
8th: BFG MT KM2
9th: Pro Comp Xtreme MT
10th:Maxxis Trepador

BFG and Maxxis being at the bottom don't surprise me but Pro Comp does. There's the results. If you want to get all the facts on testing and detailed results then check out the magazine.

maxxis being at the bottom surprises me.

pro-comp doesn't, their tires blow.

Cal also managed to break a 300M U-joint and a Dana 44 front axle shaft at tuckhaven too. He can not ever be used as an example because of the excessive variable of his lack of driving skills. :rolleyes:

Skillz. Lolz

Hey I resemble that remark

Gotta few extra grand layin' around so I can try our a few different brands of tires before I decide on my next set?

Back