• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Better Illumination -- with LEDs

I just ordered some of the LEDs (f where I linked) for my OE reverse lights & the OE driving lights. Hopefully it'll be worth the extra $$ the LEDs cost. :)

I just ordered some of the LEDs (f where I linked) for my OE reverse lights & the OE driving lights. Hopefully it'll be worth the extra $$ the LEDs cost. :)

Be sure to report back -- I'd be interested to see how much difference it makes.

I was just getting ready to post... Ha...

The reverse lights work well. Not really brighter per'say... but MUCH whiter and seems to illuminate behind my XJ better so that I'm happy with. The driving lights (H3 bulbs) don't work. I spoke to the place I purchased them from and he thinks the driving/polarity is reversed and so the light is not getting any power. Looks like they'll be getting returned (bummed about that) ... Since I run Cibie E-Code's w/ 90/100W bulbs and upgraded wiring I rarely even turn on my OE fog lights anyhow. :)

Thanks for the update.

I was just getting ready to post... Ha...

The reverse lights work well. Not really brighter per'say... but MUCH whiter and seems to illuminate behind my XJ better so that I'm happy with.

That's been my experience as well -- replacing a single incandescent bulb with an LED replacement of basically the same size produces a different color/quality of light, but doesn't generally produce any more light.

The driving lights (H3 bulbs) don't work. I spoke to the place I purchased them from and he thinks the driving/polarity is reversed and so the light is not getting any power. Looks like they'll be getting returned (bummed about that) ... Since I run Cibie E-Code's w/ 90/100W bulbs and upgraded wiring I rarely even turn on my OE fog lights anyhow. :)

Why not just swap the wires inside the driving light housings? Or just before the housings?

Thanks for the update.

Why not just swap the wires inside the driving light housings? Or just before the housings?

Not sure if it's that easy. The OE fog lights has one plug, one wire that goes directly to the light bulb (H3) and then the metallic surround of the bulb acts as the ground. It least that's what it appears to me. Not sure how to change that as my electrical abilities is not that advanced... :)

It's hard to imagine how the polarity could be backwards, then. It's easy enough to test with a test light or a multimeter, though.

Have you tested the new LEDs elsewhere? You can test them with a few alligator clip wires off the battery just to see if they work.

I'll be doing LED lighting conversion in my ambulance/wienerbox camper build.

I came across these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G4-5050-121...97?pt=US_Light_Bulbs&var=&hash=item19d26818f9

cheap 5050 (wide angle) LED boards. The g4 pins make it easy to solder wires to, even use an old bulb base as an adapter.

5050's will far outperform regular 5mm dome LEDs. They are essentially 3 diodes for every chip, so three times brightre than a regular 5mm dome with a single diode, roughly, I'm not ging to get into a lumens wee wee match

I'll be doing LED lighting conversion in my ambulance/wienerbox camper build.

I came across these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G4-5050-121...97?pt=US_Light_Bulbs&var=&hash=item19d26818f9

cheap 5050 (wide angle) LED boards. The g4 pins make it easy to solder wires to, even use an old bulb base as an adapter.

5050's will far outperform regular 5mm dome LEDs. They are essentially 3 diodes for every chip, so three times brightre than a regular 5mm dome with a single diode, roughly, I'm not ging to get into a lumens wee wee match

Those look pretty cool -- be sure to post some pics when you get your work done. Which lights are you replacing with LEDs?

Not sure if it's that easy. The OE fog lights has one plug, one wire that goes directly to the light bulb (H3) and then the metallic surround of the bulb acts as the ground. It least that's what it appears to me. Not sure how to change that as my electrical abilities is not that advanced... :)

that is true, H3's use the bulb surround to ground. The ix is easy, use the factory fog wire for +, wire new ground to chassis somwhere separately.

that is true, H3's use the bulb surround to ground. The ix is easy, use the factory fog wire for +, wire new ground to chassis somwhere separately.

I'll have to see what I can do about the ground issue. The part I'm having trouble visualizing... is that the OE fog light housing is somewhat enclosed... has a weather seal on the underside that you remove to gain access to the bulb/H3 light. The wiring all stuffs back up inside and then seals off w/the rubber/plastic type seal f/the underside.

Any ideas would be appreciated or if anyone has done this. I've got a spare auto battery in my garage that I'll hook up to one of these lights and see if they work just to be sure it's not the lights...

Wow, u sure dont like the dark do you?

Awesome job man!! I'm curious though with all these bright lights what happens whenu get out in the dark... Your just blind for like 5 minutes?? :)

I'll have to see what I can do about the ground issue. The part I'm having trouble visualizing... is that the OE fog light housing is somewhat enclosed... has a weather seal on the underside that you remove to gain access to the bulb/H3 light. The wiring all stuffs back up inside and then seals off w/the rubber/plastic type seal f/the underside.

Any ideas would be appreciated or if anyone has done this. I've got a spare auto battery in my garage that I'll hook up to one of these lights and see if they work just to be sure it's not the lights...

If your OEM wiring hasn't been altered, then the polarity of the factory fog lights is not likely to be the issue. I would test the LEDs and the fog lights separately.

If your OEM wiring hasn't been altered, then the polarity of the factory fog lights is not likely to be the issue. I would test the LEDs and the fog lights separately.

No alterations to the OEM wiring on the fog lights... I'll see if I can get the LED's to light up on their own today by applying 12V to the wire and grounding the metal surround. See if they even work. It's possible both are duds I guess... :|

I like the rear hatch lights. I had factory lights mounted that way in a Dodge mini van many years ago. I must have missed how you wired them and where the switch is.

Those look pretty cool -- be sure to post some pics when you get your work done. Which lights are you replacing with LEDs?

none in the XJ.

I have several low profile light fixtures that I pulled out of my ambulance body.

I'll be reusing the fixtures because (as all things medical) they are really nice. They're from the 80's though, so they have ridiculously high wattage incandescents in them.

the flat G4 style with the side pins will fit very nicely in them and be far enough away from the lenses that they will still disperse the light.

I literally have a pile of them.
2013-03-10184017_zpsbad08e0f.jpg

Can you give me a little insight on how you wired most of that?

I like the rear hatch lights. I had factory lights mounted that way in a Dodge mini van many years ago. I must have missed how you wired them and where the switch is.

Here are the schematics for the reverse light-bar and the cargo (lift-gate) lights:

ReverseLightSchem.jpg

LiftGateLightsSchem.jpg

And as for the switches:

cargoLightSwitch.jpg

rearRoofLightSwitch.jpg

Not sure if that answers your questions, though. If not, ask away!

none in the XJ.

I have several low profile light fixtures that I pulled out of my ambulance body.

I'll be reusing the fixtures because (as all things medical) they are really nice. They're from the 80's though, so they have ridiculously high wattage incandescents in them.

the flat G4 style with the side pins will fit very nicely in them and be far enough away from the lenses that they will still disperse the light.

I literally have a pile of them.
2013-03-10184017_zpsbad08e0f.jpg

Those look like they could be put to good use. Let us know what you come up with.

Not to thread hijack... but the the H3 Fog Light LED replacements I couldn't get to work at all. Even by trying to hot-wire them to a direct 12v source to no avail. I'm wondering if they were defective....

Regardless, I am going to send them back and get a refund for them. I am happy though w/the reverse LED light bulb replacements. :)

Back