• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake light woes after bulb change

If they have a plastic/polycarbonate outer lens I guess they can't get that hot, which was my concern, perhaps krypton burns cooler than halogen.

Thing I like about LED's in rear lights in particular is that not only are they very bright but very red (received wisdom is behind coloured lenses to always have LED's the same colour)

Yup. Krypton, xenon, and 1 other one i cant remember produce a whiter light.

Left side has one of those in, right side has an LED. I need to do an anti flicker test yet, but i noticed the same thing tonight. The krypton is pinker and a touch brighter, the LED is a deeper red. The ones i bought have a pc diffuser dome over them and would probably be brighter without (Auxito canbus 3157 from ebay, ive had good luck with their stuff). Probably end up using LED on the left too, and keep the 3457 for spares in the console. The high mount/3rd brake will probably be whiter, i bought the red assembly off ebay and suspect they use 6500k white leds behind the red lens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's that bloody awful fusebox, & the contortions you have to suffer to access it, for you.

Absolutely. I may get pissed off one day and take it out on the dremel tool 😂

Cut it open a bit more at the front of the opening, then make a panel and plastic weld one half in on a hinge. First thing i did was install led bulbs for the full interior starting with the footwell lighting and overhead console

Dash and console also done in red, need to find a glove box light and switch in the junkyard

Interesting that you guys are having issues with the side marker/turn signals. Mine have been flaky too. Left side works fine with 194 led installed, right side has never worked properly and at first would cut power to both sides id i smacked it (like loose connection/bad ground) while using an led bulb. Standaed halogen bulbs dont work either.

The problem with converting these to LED is not finding/fitting a suitable "bulb" providing you are content only to retain the sidemarker function. The difficulty is getting it to perform both functions. Now a normal bulb will work quite happily with no actual ground, because these sockets are strung between the running light and turn signal - which is why, when the lights are on they flash off (& are, therefore, out of synch with the turn signals.) LED's won't have any of that & require a relatively complex set-up involving 2 5-pin relays with the 87 & 87a terminals x-connected (I thought I had the full details of what's involved, but haven't been able to find it). Can't be sure whether the latest gen. smart LED's will work, but I doubt it.

I see what you are getting at. I used a 194 white led on the drivers side that stays lit as a parking lamp and flashes, i just never took notice if its out of sync with the front or not.

I’ll see what happens next week, when the free form clear front markers come in and i install switchbacks. End goal is to run them as drl when parking lamps are on, and if need be i can turn on my 2” flood cubes or yellow combo bar independently for more light. Bar is wired to factory fog harness and the cubes run their own switch hidden behind the 4wd shifter. Add in the led headlights and its a wall of light

Also, since the switchbacks are projectors, in theory i can use them as close range fill in lighting if i can adjust angle of the housing down. Then i can tint the 2” cubes yellow

Took me a long time to understand some questions raised here (& other forums) about sidemarkers because I thought this dual function arrangement was a peculiarly Chevy thing - of course, I was disadvantaged because export models don't have them at all, just reflectors!

DRL's are supposed to go off, when the lights are on, although I've noticed a lot of factory ones don't (in recent years manufacturers - especially Volo & Audi - seem to have given up on complying with different regulations in different markets). Off course, how you connect after-market DRL's is a matter for you - & local compliance enforcers.

Didn't know you could get twin filament switchbacks; do tell me more.

Finally, I've been looking for clear, or smoked, front position lights/turn signals for a while now but could only find them for pre-'97's - where did you find yours?

Took me a long time to understand some questions raised here (& other forums) about sidemarkers because I thought this dual function arrangement was a peculiarly Chevy thing - of course, I was disadvantaged because export models don't have them at all, just reflectors!

DRL's are supposed to go off, when the lights are on, although I've noticed a lot of factory ones don't (in recent years manufacturers - especially Volo & Audi - seem to have given up on complying with different regulations in different markets). Off course, how you connect after-market DRL's is a matter for you - & local compliance enforcers.

Didn't know you could get twin filament switchbacks; do tell me more.

Finally, I've been looking for clear, or smoked, front position lights/turn signals for a while now but could only find them for pre-'97's - where did you find yours?

Ebay was my friend here lol. Its cheap chinese stuff, but then again what isnt anymore...

Clear front housings (look hard you can find the 4pc kit for under $30)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-1997-2...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Smoked/tinted marker kit 4pcs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-1997-2...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

There is also a smoked led 3rd brake light available ;)

The switchback i got is a canbus projector 3157. Has both amber and white leds on the board.

Switchbacks:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-3157-31...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

I suspect they will run white all the time, flash from white to amber and back.

Id love it if they would stay white all the time, flash to amber, back to off, to amber, and back to white up front. I also thought about building a crude resistor or relay based timer to splice in and sequence them like newer vehicles but that may **** up more than it fixes

I opted to order just clear front markers, leaving the sides yellow and i’ll install an amber smartLED in there similar to the white led currently occupying the space

Thanks for the links, but as few American sellers will ship to the UK, at least at a sensible cost, hope they still hold good when our governments make travelling a bit easier (they both now require -ive PCR test within 24 hours to enter, which is well-nigh impossible - introduced just as I was about to book a flight for Christmas/New Year :-( ).

It did occur to me, too late, that we may be at X-purposes over "switchbacks" as term seems to be used both what you have & something earlier, which allows you to have 2 coloured LED's in a socket for a single filament bulb because one "filament" has a pigtail.

I'm sure yours will show white whenever the lights are on, but whether you can see that when the brighter amber turn signal comes on is a different matter.

Most likely they will stay white, flash to amber, and back to white. Depends on if the chinese manufacturer had the forethought to program the integrated circuit properly or not.

Side note: i looked at my one working side marker with led installed last night. It flashes out of sequence with the front marker. Im fine with that, it makes them look like newer sequential turn signals, and the ones i am installing for the front may actually fix that once the load is equal across the circuit

Quick update: led front markers installed, working perfect. Still flashes side marker off time from the front, im still ok with that. No hyper flash, goes from white to off to amber repeated, back to white when markers are on and you turn on and off the signal.

Only “issue” is RF noise. When the lights are on, it interferes with radio stations. When i use turn signals its static in and out in time with the blinker. I use bluetooth and pandora through my dual din head unit, so not an issue.

The housings (made in taiwan) are Dynamik brand. DOT markings and logo are stamped upside down when properly installed, otherwise fit and finish is good for price
87a141e2339a529d6bb995415ddd9623.jpg

Video with everything lit up (22” combo light bar is getting yellow tint next week when my Lamin-X shows up, its wired to factory fog circuit 🤣)

And yes, that is a custom 2 tone realtree and forest green suede dash ;) matches the headliner and overhead computer

25ca7c36685596fe239a7cc050d64cdf.jpg

Looks nice and bright xj factory lights do bring the suck or at least mine did.

Wall of light 🤣 About $175 or less invested for the front. $45 to do the interior (dash included), and another $50 for the rear

But i can light up the road a mile down with the headlights and the combo bar 😉

The list of things this jeep has had done since july is scary and i should probably be committed to a psych ward 🤣

I wouldnt even have considered doing all this if it werent for this being somewhat of a unicorn....a rust free new england/northeast PA XJ (albeit with a branded rebuilt title). Hell, a rust free XJ from anywhere is a unicorn lol

Wall of light 🤣 About $175 or less invested for the front. $45 to do the interior (dash included), and another $50 for the rear

But i can light up the road a mile down with the headlights and the combo bar 😉

Like my friend always told me it's only paper.lol

Wasnt going to do them this way, kinda like the amber side markers with clear up front...

But...i saw these and ordered them. Better overall performance and look when lit up at night. Clear corners will need to grow on me during daylight hours

Back