• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best VALUE D44 selectable locker?

xuv-this said:
wow. those sound pretty durable. so i was wondering; who makes those lockers. do you know if they're the same things <make, type>that are on the powerwagons?

The rubicon airlockers are called "tru-loc"... I donot know if they are the same as the newer powerwagons. I just know they work damned good and so far they have held up to my constant abuse and tourcher.

I was floggin my rig pretty hard this year, tryin to make Rock Pile.
harder then I had wanted to.... I mean 4th gear low loc WOODED.....

My dog food was everywhere, cooler snapped the strap and crashed into my back window, (didn't break though) and I was unable to make it like I did the year before. (that obstical changed alot in 1 year)

My rig stood up to the abuse like a champ, and I beleive it even rode better as I left pritchett canyon that day.

I've snapped dana 60 shafts with less force then when I landed all four tires wooded in 4th on slickrock.

I lock and unlock them often and never have they hungup or not enguaged.

I would trust them ANYWHERE.

None of those are really what he descibed in value though, just get a lock-rite. Easy to install, and they never break. Pick one up for less than 300, cant unlock it though, you can install, and if you do break it, just keep your spider gears in your tool bag to fix it if it happens to break. What do you need to unlock it for if its in the rear anyways?

0313 said:
None of those are really what he descibed in value though, just get a lock-rite. Easy to install, and they never break. Pick one up for less than 300, cant unlock it though, you can install, and if you do break it, just keep your spider gears in your tool bag to fix it if it happens to break. What do you need to unlock it for if its in the rear anyways?

Well, chief... He DID say selectable.... and you said yourself you can't unlock the lock-rite...

As for value... I guess people may have different ideas of what it is....

To me, not having to replace seals every year or so is value.
Not breaking in the middle of nowhere is another thing of value.
Being able to just go and order parts from any mopar dealer is another value should anything ever go wrong.

If you mean value as in cost, well then, any selectable locker setup is going to cost more then the setup I have been describing.

Whats an ARB run? $7**? ea axle? $14**.00 ??
Whats a OX? $7** ea axle... $14**.00 ??
Whats an electrac? $7** ea..... $14**.00 ??

Who else makes a "selectable" locker as he asked...?

Whats a tru loc? if you wanted to go cheapest possable you could get two front lockers....

That would be $555 each axle including pumps.
Seems to me I have been describing nothing but value the whole time.

Oh well... Maybe I'm nuts! :confused1

I'm probably going to get flamed for this... but I'm really not a big fan of the OX lockers. Have used one quite wheeling my brother's Comanche, and I'm always wondering if the locker will engage and work when I need it... I've gone through the cable adjustment with it many times, pulled the cover and inspected everything, but it's just stubborn to engage sometimes, and seems like other times it's only "half engaged" or something, and will slip and bang when it's most needed. It may be a setup issue, it was in the rig when he (my brother) bought it, so I don't know. I just know what I've experience with the one I've used.

Anyway, I know you said no non-selectables... but you can't beat the reliability of a detroit or a spool. Forget lockrights, aussie lockers, and other ratchet-bang fest lockers, selectables that don't lock or unlock when you want them to and have silly parts to break on the trail. I am simply as happy as I could be with the spool in the rear of my cherokee and the detroit in the rear of my brother's comanche. Both are daily drivers.

Back