• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belize..anyone been to or from there?

Jeff in VA

<---respect
Wife and I are going there as part of a vacation, and I'm trying to gather info on it. We'll be ported in Belize City, only for a day. Anyone here know anything to do there?

So far, I've found a couple things we can do in the time we'll have available. One is "cave-tubing" where they strap a miner's light to your head and you float thru the cave systems....pretty low-key but sounds kinda interesting. Another is a combo zip-line trip across the jungle canopy, then a rappel down to the floor:yelclap: .

Anyone know anything else? :eyes:

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff in VA said:
Wife and I are going there as part of a vacation, and I'm trying to gather info on it. We'll be ported in Belize City, only for a day. Anyone here know anything to do there?

So far, I've found a couple things we can do in the time we'll have available. One is "cave-tubing" where they strap a miner's light to your head and you float thru the cave systems....pretty low-key but sounds kinda interesting. Another is a combo zip-line trip across the jungle canopy, then a rappel down to the floor:yelclap: .

Anyone know anything else? :eyes:

Thanks,
Jeff
I went there on a part of a cruise we were on. I hate to put it this way but I thought it was the crappiest stop we hit(which still wasn't bad). I forget what city we stopped at (the port obviously, so probably Belize City) but we took a 45 minute powerboat ride to a tiny island off of the coast a little bit called Caye Caulker. Nastiest place I've ever been, you went out into the water and for about 30 ft it was solid weeds. So if you get people offering to ferry you there, say uhhh no. Let me know how much you like it though, I hope you have better luck than I did. I've always wanted to do one of those zip line things, I'd go for that.
-Collin

That's kinda the feeling I'm having about it:( I'm trying to figure out whether to plan something to do onshore, or just stay on the boat and get stupid drunkparty1: The other ports of call are all great (and we've been to them before), just never been to Belize.

Do you know if they have a national beer? I make it my mission to support the local economy :lickout: whenever I'm in a different country, so to speak.

Jeff

Belize has a fantastic rep for fishing the 'flats'. Bonefish and Permit. I would convience my wife to get a guided trip :)

I think the cave tubing sounds fun.

staying on the boat and getting stupid drunk is a pretty awesome fall back plan.

I believe they have some sort of fly down there that burrows under your skin and lays eggs. :D

Other than that, pretty nice!

Idiot Wind said:
staying on the boat and getting stupid drunk is a pretty awesome fall back plan.
I wish I would have done that. Damn bartenders wouldn't serve me though...something about me only being 16 at the time and my mom standing over my shoulder saying "no". Whatever happened to what happens in international waters stays in international waters?

Stay in Belize...

Avoid the day trip to Guatemala...

Enjoy the rum in a fresh coconut...

woody said:
I believe they have some sort of fly down there that burrows under your skin and lays eggs. :D

Not in THIS boy's pinchu.......:nosmile:

Jeff in VA said:
Not in THIS boy's pinchu.......:nosmile:

Yeah. Once it's in there don't go for the tabacco smoke cure. On the news I saw where they layered Vasaline over the breathing hole so that the worm had to come out to breath. Then they could get hold of it. Took several days of adding to the vasaline layer so that the worm could work its way out without suffocating. If it suffocates in there it could get nasty. It leaves a pretty cool looking hole once you get it out. Of course, it will come out on its own...eventually.

Have fun :thumbup:

Do the zipline canopy tour. I haven't done one in Belize but I've done one in Costa Rica:thumbup:

What cruiseline are you sailing with? You may be able to book independently with a tour operator and save some $$$

woody said:

That's the "Botfly". Rather nasty "mofo". Especially when the worm (larva) pokes his head out your skin and looks around!

Belize is awesome! You could go inland to the smaller towns/villages. The east has a Guatemalen influence and Mexican to the north. The Belize zoo is pretty cool, as are the Mayan sites. The cayes are good for fishing and snorkeling. I've been to Abergris Caye, and snorkeling at Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley was incredible; they have a huge barrier reef. If you dive, it can be that much better.

I was there about five years ago, and loved it. Try some Melinda's (Marie Sharp's) hot sauce, it's on every table.

Belikin is the local beer!

Last edited:
karstic said:
Do the zipline canopy tour. I haven't done one in Belize but I've done one in Costa Rica:thumbup:

What cruiseline are you sailing with? You may be able to book independently with a tour operator and save some $$$

Royal Carribean, and we're all but decided on doing it. It'll be about $100 pp to book it thru them but it's worth it. We tried an "independant" thing in Jamaica (climbing Dunn's River falls) a couple years ago, and I thought we were both gonna get shivved. Got into some guy's minivan and he stopped at some hut on the side of the road and we were surrounded by about 10 locals.....driver said "give them your money". We did, reluctantly, and they gave us some "tickets" to get into the falls. We survived, but it was a rather unpleasant experience to say the least.

Jeff

92AKXJ said:
Belize is awesome! You could go inland to the smaller towns/villages. The east has a Guatemalen influence and Mexican to the north. The Belize zoo is pretty cool, as are the Mayan sites. The cayes are good for fishing and snorkeling. I've been to Abergris Caye, and snorkeling at Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley was incredible; they have a huge barrier reef. If you dive, it can be that much better.

I was there about five years ago, and loved it. Try some Melinda's (Marie Sharp's) hot sauce, it's on every table.

Belikin is the local beer!

Will do...thanks for the 411! (who could pass up a beer called "Belikin"?) :)
We snorkel, but don't dive. I like living too much:confused1
Jeff

Shark ray alley was awesome, as was ambergris caye. Not too sure of the mainland though, only been to the airport. Belikin is pretty good.

Jeff in VA said:
Royal Carribean, and we're all but decided on doing it. It'll be about $100 pp to book it thru them but it's worth it. We tried an "independant" thing in Jamaica (climbing Dunn's River falls) a couple years ago, and I thought we were both gonna get shivved. Got into some guy's minivan and he stopped at some hut on the side of the road and we were surrounded by about 10 locals.....driver said "give them your money". We did, reluctantly, and they gave us some "tickets" to get into the falls. We survived, but it was a rather unpleasant experience to say the least.

Jeff

Check the boards at cruisecritic.com for a local operator. Many times you can book directly with the same company that the cruise line uses w/o having to pay the cruiseline markup.

Here's one

http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/

Last edited:
It's T-24 hrs, then we're off. Got the zip line already booked. If I don't drop the camera, I'll get some good pics hopefully:dunce:

One day in Belize, one in Costa Maya, then to Cozumel, and over to Grand Cayman.

Can't wait!

Jeff

According to http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ "There are no tropical cyclones at this time" in the Atantic, Carribean or Gulf of Mexico, so relax and Bon Voyage :party:

Back