• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

beadlocks and there illegallity

True beadlocks are illegal in most states for street use. Whether or not that law is enforced is a different story. The only DOT approved beadlocks for street use are the original military humvee beadlock rims. I have done extensive research on this in past years.

SPOBI. You are wrong.

Where in here does it say beadlock wheels are not approved for highway use in the state of CA?
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vctoc.htm
How about AZ?
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=28

Here are DOT compliant beadlock wheels other than "military humvee"...
http://www.rockmonsterwheels.com/

Why does this have to come back up every so often? Hasta

If they are illegal why has no one ever gotten a ticket for running them on the road?!?
I've driven through CA, AZ, UT, NV, and ID and never been stopped, close to 100,000 miles of driving.

Bottom line, if you think they are illegal, DON'T RUN THEM! But don't go on the intardweb spreading rumors.

Last edited:
In the state of utah, they are illegal FOR STREET USE. They are perfectly acceptable on the trail. I am currently taking the safety inspection class and I am at this moment reading out of my HP 5-0 issued manual.

Like to quote the text and reference number of the section you're reading from? Otherwise it's no more than another internet rumor, regardless of whether or not your are "currently reading" the manual.

No one, and we mean NO ONE, has ever come up with any law, anywhere, that declares beadlock rims to be illegal for street use.

This whole topic is unbelievably dead. This discussion has been going on for YEARS, and still no proof.

BTW, my beadlock rims have a DOT emblem on them. Must be OK, right? So, if the beadlocks where made from a DOT rim, should the beadlock manufacturer remove the DOT emblem from the rim before they are sold as beadlocks?

This is so rediculous. Hasta

sent you a pm goat-

I agree this subject is ridiculous- I don't get why there illegal.

For everybody else:

Heres the link to an online version:
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/safetyi...T ManuaL.pdf

pg 18 section tires/wheels subsection F #4

F. WHEELS
1. Check wheels for damage and proper mounting.
a. REJECT when:
1) Wheel bolts, nuts, studs or lugs are loose, missing or not
properly fastened.
2) Wheels are bent, cracked, re-welded or have elongated
bolt holes.
3) Spacers are used to increase the wheel track width.
4) Bead lock wheels are installed.

here ... make your own DOT stamping on them:
00800.gif

Like to quote the text and reference number of the section you're reading from? Otherwise it's no more than another internet rumor, regardless of whether or not your are "currently reading" the manual.

No one, and we mean NO ONE, has ever come up with any law, anywhere, that declares beadlock rims to be illegal for street use.

This whole topic is unbelievably dead. This discussion has been going on for YEARS, and still no proof.

BTW, my beadlock rims have a DOT emblem on them. Must be OK, right? So, if the beadlocks where made from a DOT rim, should the beadlock manufacturer remove the DOT emblem from the rim before they are sold as beadlocks?

This is so rediculous. Hasta

pwnt

The inspection guide cites Utah http://www.le.utah.gov/UtahCode/getCodeSection?code=41-6a-1601 as its authority for setting the minimum standards. It also cites a number of other standards including the FMVSS as the basis for the standards spelled out in the inspection guide.

The catch is that the Utah Code says "The rules under Subsection (2)(a): (i) shall conform as nearly as practical to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and Regulations;" Again, the FMVSSR does not prohibit bead locks or multi-piece wheels.

You could challenge the inspection guides, but until they are changed you will fail safety inspections. This type of weasel wording is very common. MD for example seems to let the State Police decide the inspection standards. They arbitrarily fail for lots of items not addressed in the code (like bumper height and lifts) as well. The reality is that if they ding you for it, you can't fight it. On the flip side if they aren't bothering folks about it don't worry.

generally whatever is most strict wins. real estate zoning, auto safety whatever. but I don't think the police here are too worried about beadlocks. the key in what lawson said though, that is the authority for MINIMUM standards. UHP reserves the right to be more strict.

I agree with goatman in the sense this has been talked to death. If your worried about it don't run 'em. they probably cost a lot more to do than your ticket's going to cost the one time in 20 years someone actually writes you a ticket.

Back on topic. Failing Inspection usually means illegal, as in violating the state code which requires you to maintain and operate your vehicle in accordance with the safety standards. For example the Utah code that was posted earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back on topic. Failing Inspection usually means illegal, as in violating the state code which requires you to maintain and operate your vehicle in accordance with the safety standards. For example the Utah code that was posted earlier.

So if I drive my beadlocked vehicle through Utah while I'm registered in NJ, what do I get a ticket for?

Back