• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

beadlocks and there illegallity

It just comes from manufacturers cover their asses by saying they're for "off road use only". They just dont want the lawsuit coming up because some knuckle-head never checked the bolts and the outer ring comes loose and causes an accident. Beadlocks require maintainance outside of the manufacturers control.

Does anyone know any that knows anyone who got a ticket? I have never even heard of one ticket being written. I run my Trailready BL's on the street... that little "For off-road use only" sticker they put on them doesn't scare me!

if they arent dot approved, and you run them on the street, isnt that illeagle?
arent ony a few beadlocks dot approved?

what if a added a weld on bead lock kit and smoothed it out so the welds to look "factory"? then i could show the cop a DOT stamp in the wheel on a spare. bend the rules or just stupid? :D :)

userbmx1315 said:
what if a added a weld on bead lock kit and smoothed it out so the welds to look "factory"? then i could show the cop a DOT stamp in the wheel on a spare. bend the rules or just stupid? :D :)
Just stupid.
happyfinger.gif
That's a whole lotta work for nothing. Non-DOT does not equal 'illegal'...and there are many folks out there waiting to have their rewards claimed if you can actually prove that the non-DOT rim is illegal.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Up here just tires have to be DOT approved, not wheels.

Just as many are saying, DOT has nothing to do with being illegal or legal. If you choose to run a non DOT product on public streets/hwy then you are assuming liability if there is damage or injury caused by that product. If it is DOT approved then the manufacture has said liability. This is why almost all Non DOT parts Lift Kits etc.. in fine print say for Off-Road use only, That way when you kill some one on the street they are somewhat indemnified.

FordGuy said:
Just as many are saying, DOT has nothing to do with being illegal or legal. If you choose to run a non DOT product on public streets/hwy then you are assuming liability if there is damage or injury caused by that product. If it is DOT approved then the manufacture has said liability. This is why almost all Non DOT parts Lift Kits etc.. in fine print say for Off-Road use only, That way when you kill some one on the street they are somewhat indemnified.

That's pretty much it in a nut shell except that the DOT does not approve anything. They may set a standard that must be met but items are not sent to them for aproval.

Jes said:
Is your lift kit DOT approved?

homemade, good call.

which means that also my doors, bumper, swaybar links, bumpstop brackets, rack, and all the other homemade stuff is non dot approved, and on my vehicle. Guess beadlocks arent a big deal then.

ChrisRFewell said:
well there is nothing about beadlocks in the Florida statutes..
Was waiting for someone to mention statutes - did you know that the Colorado Revised Statutes state that it is illegal to modify your vehicle's suspension? Yup, they sure do. Thankfully, someone saw the light and that section of the CRS has been unconstitutional as it is overly broad. :whew:

Jim www.yuccaman.com

USDOT only sets the standards. They do not do testing or approve or disapprove. Federal and State laws typically will cite the DOT standard in their laws. For example requiring motorcyclists to wear a helmet meeting DOT standards.

The particular DOT standard is FMVSS 751.110. It doesn't prohibit multi-piece wheels or beadlocks. It does put forth marking requirements, tire retention testing, and dimensions etc.
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.asp?rule_toc=777&section=571.110&section_toc=2077

Generally, the beadlock manfufacturer can't and doesn't test you particular rim setup with their product. They can't stamp your wheel with the proper marking for you either. The setup may be safe and pass the technical parts of the guideline, but they still won't meet some of the BS requirements like labelling and actual testing. Plus as someone pointed out, the manufacturers try limit their liability by putting "low-speed off-highway use only" in the fine print.

from my experience, friend wrecked a "pre-runner" w/locks
he was informed the beadlocks themselves are not illegal...no way to legitimize that,
but if they locks of his suspension were found the be the distinct cause of the accident he would/could be heavily fined for unsafe vehicle or some crap like that...

luckily the accident was the drunk that hit us.....

In the state of utah, they are illegal FOR STREET USE. They are perfectly acceptable on the trail. I am currently taking the safety inspection class and I am at this moment reading out of my HP 5-0 issued manual.

True beadlocks are illegal in most states for street use. Whether or not that law is enforced is a different story. The only DOT approved beadlocks for street use are the original military humvee beadlock rims. I have done extensive research on this in past years.

Damn near every lift kit is not DOT approved just because it is non factory. i see PLENTY of lifted vehicles driving around other than your jeep.

Back