• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Banks Revolver Header....CRACKED!!!

Well, that's unexpected. Did it crack at a weld? Isn't stainless supposed to be stress/strain relieved after welding? Maybe that is hit or miss at manufacture?

Well, that's unexpected. Did it crack at a weld? Isn't stainless supposed to be stress/strain relieved after welding? Maybe that is hit or miss at manufacture?

No. Although the header should "normalize" the first time it sees substantial heat; say from powering up a hill on the highway.

The OP's crack is typically what you see from a defective weld or specifically non-fusion of one of the base metals. The evidence being that it cracked along the edge of the weld.

The addition of the flex joint will reduce the likely hood of a crack developing but obviously won't prevent one if the defect is already there.

I had the old style Banks on mine and it cracked. Bought the new design I believe they call them torque tubes now? Seems like it should hold up. It's a better looking design. I previously posted pictures of the differences.

Has anyone ever tried securing the header to the block at the collector or something similar? I have a ton of experience with tubular stainless turbo manifolds cracking due to the turbo weight and aggressive drivetrain shocks/vibrations (i.e. drifting) and that was always the solution. flex pipes would help, but alleviating the leverage that a 10ft plus length of rigid pipe can induce was the clear win. Here is a picture of a bracket I made for my turbo setup for example.

TurboBrace6.jpg

696a0408.jpg

e16b05b6.jpg

Interesting idea.

Any merit to adding a phenolic spacer somewhere in the mix so that the weight of the exhaust / turbo doesn't transfer the heat into what it's bolted into? Or solving a problem that isn't an issue?

Interesting idea.

Any merit to adding a phenolic spacer somewhere in the mix so that the weight of the exhaust / turbo doesn't transfer the heat into what it's bolted into? Or solving a problem that isn't an issue?

For the issue with the 4.0 and it's header, I don't think there is any issue with heat transfer through the bracket to the block. As for a turbo application, this is a typical OE equipped component and is always affixed to the compressor housing; which doesn't hit nearly as high of a temperature as would the exhaust turbine. It's pretty rare to see a OE turbo setup without a support bracket too. Although as you can imagine, when turbos are changed or increased in size, those brackets usually go to the wayside and never make it back on. I had to make this one since the turbo was much larger.

I for one can tell you that I would never run without one again. Just not worth the headache.

Back