• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Banks Revolver Header....CRACKED!!!

Wow dude! I must have read right passed the crap flying out of your mouth :puke: when I first read the replies. No where in my post did I slander or bad mouth Banks. Nor did i state that im running a piece of S with busted motor mounts or hangers. (No Offense To Those That Actually Gave Suggestions, Thank you!) Im all for suggestion, cause I'm human and tend to over look things sometimes. One thing I haven't over looked is someone pissed in you Cherios and trying to spill it on me was gonna make it better. :bawl::conceited. You mad bro? I'm far from it, so I Hope your day has gotten better sense then man.:cheers:

Banks makes great product! And will continue to buy there products. I just thought it was kinda funny about there statement on the product and what had happened. Nothing more.

:roflmao:

Ignore xcm, he's just a big teddy bear in person......a big, cactus teddy bear.

Last edited:
I have had 7, yes 7 different headers from Banks. I did the flex joint, replaced both motor mounts and the transmission mount without any improvement. They last 8-14 months before they crack. Many Jeeps will get lucky and have no issues, but there are a lot out there that are plagued with this problem. I will be purchasing APN next go around as they have a really good reputation. I went through 3 different designs by Banks over the years too. This is my last banks header and I am pretty sure this one cracked too. I have yet to tear it all down to confirm whether it is the header or or the gasket. I have been very disappointed with Banks as they have such a well know good reputation for zoo many of their products.

My Banks header cracked like yours pictured. I purchased it from an online vendor several years back. I contacted Banks, they told me to contact the vendor, The vendor said to send it to them, they'd send it to banks, and I asked how I was supposed to drive my jeep to work while they were busy plonking about with my header. "buy another one"

Gents, those of you with repeated cracking... what year is your Jeep?

In my case I have a 2001 so I'm hoping the dual short headers will less prone to cracking versus the 1999 and previous, one piece, long headers.

I don't know if this is valid logic though so I'd like to hear from those with repeated cracking headers.

My OEM manifold on my 89 cracked in 1994, so I replaced it with an OEM part from the dealer ($375).

So the 2nd one lasted 20 years, maybe I'm lucky or are the after market type more of a "header" and not a log manifold?

BTW, that pic of that flex pipe must be wrong!

I don't see a drop of oil on that converter housing or tranny pan!

Last edited:
Moose, you have two cast iron headers (exhaust manifolds). It's a totally different situation than having 6 into 1 with a bunch of welding. The cast iron manifolds are way stronger. Should last forever. Your 0331 head is a different story.

Gents, Banks header info only please.

As for the 0331 head, that was replaced years ago as preventative maintenance.

Yep, there is.

Another Banks Revolver cracked. 10 monthes on it, minimal wheeling over in Montana at Wild Bill / Blacktail.

When header was installed, Brown Dog mounts went in with it, and exhaust system with no stress at collector. When I get the replacement in 10 days or so, I'm going to install a braided flex coupler in there and see if it improves the lifespan.

The Heep was coming apart anyway for 1 ton steering / new transfer case / CA bushings so I'll have all that done before it gets here.

I have gone through 8, yes, 8 headers and the last time I replaced it 4 Wheel Parts said they would not give me anymore. I have replaced the motor mounts with stock and poly bushing as well as rubber bushing bomb proof mounts. I also replaced the trans mount and installed a braided flex pipe. I have been through 3 different designs they had come out with durin that time I had to keep getting replacments and they all cracked. The one I have now I think cracked too but I'm going to pull it off and check if it is a crack or the gasket. If it is cracked in just going to weld it up and keep doing so until I decode to replace it with an APN seeing as how I have heard very few reports of those cracking.

Just got off the phone with Banks, a replacement is OTW, should be here in 3 days and they don't want the old one back.

So, time to light up the TIG welder and saw off the collector for some "inside" welding. Won't hurt to have a spare.

Time to swap T-Case & other stuff before it gets here.

I put in the header back in June `14. No issues to date and we did a big road trip with lots of towing and mild off-road.

One thing I wish I had done while I replaced the exhaust was to add a flex section to the crossover pipe that goes under the transmission. I bet one of those would completely remove the possibility of a cracked header.

$0.02

I put in the header back in June `14. No issues to date and we did a big road trip with lots of towing and mild off-road.

One thing I wish I had done while I replaced the exhaust was to add a flex section to the crossover pipe that goes under the transmission. I bet one of those would completely remove the possibility of a cracked header.

$0.02

I did that, it still cracked. And I thought the same as you, that it would be a sure thing

Back