• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Vibration!!! Not Death Wobble! need help! have searched!

YEAGS

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so i was driving up to a welding class this week and noticed at about 45 to 50 mph there is a really bad vibration that seems to be coming from the front end. I have rotated the tires and replaced both motor mounts and tranny mount today because all were shot and took it on the highway again and it still happens. Any help as to what this might be??

I recently engaged the front axle full time and got rid of the vacuum actuated 4x4 as advised on here, Could it have anything to do with that?

Its a 1988 XJ 4.0 Automatic with a 4.5 in lift and 33 inch muds. has an AA SYE and np231 tcase.

Im pretty sure it has nothing to do with the drive shafts because when at that speed i threw it into neutral and let off the gas and it did not go away so ive narrowed it down to either the tires or front axle. unless im forgetting something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sean.

The Driveshaft still spinds even when your in nuetral. I would remove the front shaft and try again.

Why do you KNOW its not DW??? You discription of problem is classic DW... You don't mention anything about replacing or inspecting steering or suspension parts, other than its lifted with big tires, which are ALL the causes of DW. You need to check ALL of the steering and suspension components for damage or ware.

Does the steering wheel shake badly when this happens? If so then it is in fact death wobble. Not to be a d!ck but search "death wobble" and you will find a ton of info on the subject.

i know its not death wobble because iv had death wobble. the car doesnt shake like death wobble. ive checked all the steering and suspension all seem to be fine.

Its a vibration. you know the grooves on the side of the road meant to wake you up? it feels like driving on those constantly.

Ill try removing the driveshaft

thanks

Why do you KNOW its not DW??? You discription of problem is classic DW... You don't mention anything about replacing or inspecting steering or suspension parts, other than its lifted with big tires, which are ALL the causes of DW. You need to check ALL of the steering and suspension components for damage or ware.

sounds like a shimmy, not death wobble. dw is a crap your pants experience where you need to pull over and catch your breath and change your underwear.

Last edited:
I have something similar. at 45-55 mph I get a shaking but if I let off the gas and coast for a little it goes away and I can slowly speed up and get past that point. A local told me it's from being at 3" lift with stock LCA's and not having a professional alignment done. Wether or not he's right I'm going to 4.5" of lift soon and bought RC control arm drop brackets, RC adjustable LCA's and an RC adjustable track bar. Then I'll take it in for an alignment. If that doesn't fix it I don't know what will cause my steering linkage is tight and so are my hubs and ball joints. Mine feels like its from the front and I hear something in the front passengers side rattling.

sounds like a shimmy, not death wobble. dw is a crap your pants experience where you need to pull over and catch your breath and change your underwear.

OK a shimmy, if you prefer. Todays shimmy will turn into tomorrows DW. The causes and fixes are mostly the same.

In addition to suspension and steering also check bearings, brakes, Driveshaft, axel and motor mounts, tires.

So? Balancing and rotating the tires are two totally different things.

You are very correct. But if you notice your front end shaking, move the front tires to the rear, and don't notice any change, normally you think your tires are not the problem. This could be a bad assumption in the rare case that the front tires were out of balance very similar to the rears. The goal is to diagnose without spending money, not throwing coin at your heep.

I have it with two different sets of tires one set is 31" mud country with airsoft pellets, and the other are stock tires professionally balanced. No matter what tire you put where it's the exact same shimmy.

I like how everybody immediately goes into death wobble repair mode. He says right in the thread title it's not DW for cripes sake.

Would you characterize the vibration as more of a rapid thump thump, like a tire, or a buzz? By buzz, I mean vibrate the change in the cupholder rhythmically, make the mirrors out of focus?

These are very different vibrations with very different causes. And as mentioned before, putting the transmission in neutral (or even the transfer case) doesn't magically disconnect the spinning driveshafts from the axles.

From what little info is here I'm thinking front driveshaft, but there's no need to remove it. A bad driveshaft vibration can usually be found with a good under-Jeep inspection. Park on flat ground with the trans in neutral, parking brake on and tires chocked. Check each driveshaft at each ujoint, slipjoint, and double cardan assembly (in the front, and also rear with an SYE). Push, pull, twist, and look for play.

I like how everybody immediately goes into death wobble repair mode. He says right in the thread title it's not DW for cripes sake.

Would you characterize the vibration as more of a rapid thump thump, like a tire, or a buzz? By buzz, I mean vibrate the change in the cupholder rhythmically, make the mirrors out of focus?

These are very different vibrations with very different causes. And as mentioned before, putting the transmission in neutral (or even the transfer case) doesn't magically disconnect the spinning driveshafts from the axles.

From what little info is here I'm thinking front driveshaft, but there's no need to remove it. A bad driveshaft vibration can usually be found with a good under-Jeep inspection. Park on flat ground with the trans in neutral, parking brake on and tires chocked. Check each driveshaft at each ujoint, slipjoint, and double cardan assembly (in the front, and also rear with an SYE). Push, pull, twist, and look for play.

I like it too. yes ive experienced the death wobble. came as a result of an out of round tire which when replaced fixed it and also from a loose trackbar bolt. havent wobbled since.

No this is definitely a buzz. like i said it sounds like im driving over the grooves on the side of the road. definite dash rattler.

I will check the front driveshaft asap. it was my first thought aside from the motor and tranny mounts which were all shot. (260,000miles=bad mounts)

Back