• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle wrap solution(pic)

xjnation said:
on a llifted rig with no swaypars I always run neutral shocks so Im not fighting the shocks trying to push the rig over on every corner

Brian, shock technology has come a long way. I know we all have our personal preferences, but the idea of a shock being able to dampen wheel movement and provide a good ride at the same time is why shocks use biased valving. They're softer for compression so the ride isn't unnecessarily harsh, and stiffer for extension to control the wheel movement. A stiffer extension setting adds considerably to stability, and stiffens the ride, even with the compression setting staying the same.

Case in point is the Rancho RS 9000 shocks. As they are adjusted up to stiffer settings, the stability goes up quite a bit, yet only the extension valving is changed, the compression valving stays the same. With my old spring rates, running my rear 9000's set on 3 it needed the sway bar, but on 5 it was fine without it. If you're comfortable with 50/50 biased shocks, well, we all have our preferences, but that is very old shock technology.

xjnation said:
CRASH said:
LOL too true, How do ya like em?

The only way they could be better is if we could figure out a way to run two per wheel, valved soft. It would stop them from heating up on long runs (as Jes recently experienced).

A single one valved stiff (275/78) will heat up on extended runs through the desert. Not like a regular shock, they last MUCH longer than any typical "white shock", but they will heat. Two per wheel, valved lighter would have all the control of the stiffer valving, but with less heating, as the hydraulic forces adding heat are much less.

CRASH

Goatman said:
Brian, shock technology has come a long way. I know we all have our personal preferences, but the idea of a shock being able to dampen wheel movement and provide a good ride at the same time is why shocks use biased valving. They're softer for compression so the ride isn't unnecessarily harsh, and stiffer for extension to control the wheel movement. A stiffer extension setting adds considerably to stability, and stiffens the ride, even with the compression setting staying the same.

Case in point is the Rancho RS 9000 shocks. As they are adjusted up to stiffer settings, the stability goes up quite a bit, yet only the extension valving is changed, the compression valving stays the same. With my old spring rates, running my rear 9000's set on 3 it needed the sway bar, but on 5 it was fine without it. If you're comfortable with 50/50 biased shocks, well, we all have our preferences, but that is very old shock technology.

You are so much nicer and more patient than me. I want to be just like you when I grow up.

CRASH said:
xjnation said:
The only way they could be better is if we could figure out a way to run two per wheel, valved soft. It would stop them from heating up on long runs (as Jes recently experienced).

A single one valved stiff (275/78) will heat up on extended runs through the desert. Not like a regular shock, they last MUCH longer than any typical "white shock", but they will heat. Two per wheel, valved lighter would have all the control of the stiffer valving, but with less heating, as the hydraulic forces adding heat are much less.

CRASH

So run 2 at like 150/50, or less?

xjnation said:
CRASH said:
So run 2 at like 150/50, or less?

Yeah, something in that range. The rates aren't really additive, so you'd have to play with some calculators to get the right rate.

275/78 is very good. A touch more rebound damping would be even better.

ChuckD said:
Well since you guys are talking about dual shocks. Could you run two stiff kicker shocks opposite of each other to better solve a springwrap problem?

Why stop at two?

I say groom your mullet and then go with at least 4 per wheel.

Back