• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Tail Shaft Extension Housing Assembly - 2WD

comanche91

NAXJA Forum User
Need one of these; it's for a 2WD AW4. I have too much slop in the tail shaft and there appears to be no way to replace the bushing inside. The part number is 8350 4046. Anyone have a good one left over from a 4WD conversion? Thanks

Don't know if it's any help, but the bushing in the tailcone of the xfer case can be pressed out and replaced. I image it you have a part number, then it's replaceable.

Yeah, that's the problem. In my parts manual there is no bushing shown in the 2WD extension assembly, and the FSM says that if the bushing ID is out of specs you must replace the tailshaft assembly. But transmissionparts.com lists a bushing for the AW4 2WD extension, so I ordered one along with a seal - $10.40 total including shipping. Figured it's worth a shot.

the bushing was never serviced separately through the dealership, you had to buy the whole extension housing. aftermarket tranny parts suppliers can hook you up. it presses out and back in without too much trouble.

Ten High said:
the bushing was never serviced separately through the dealership, you had to buy the whole extension housing. aftermarket tranny parts suppliers can hook you up. it presses out and back in without too much trouble.

That's good to know. I've ordered the part. Why didn't the stealer do this? Just to sell the $150 extension housing? :gonnablow Most likely. Anyhow, many thanks for the reply.

Most likely that's the dealership idea - whole parts instead of pieces = more money. If the part you ordered doesn't do it, you might want to check with Jeepspeed since they likely have more experience with the 2wd XJs.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

That's good to know. I've ordered the part. Why didn't the stealer do this? Just to sell the $150 extension housing? :gonnablow Most likely. Anyhow, many thanks for the reply.
I have the same problem. I need to replace the bushing in my 94 Cherokee Sport. Were you successful with the part you ordered?

Thanks

Back