• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Shifting / Overheating Issues in XJ Buggy

So, got some things done and rewired (radiator cooling system).

Turned the key to accessoy to verify switches, and noticed my trans temp gauge hit 180, and slowly climbed to 195. The pan doesn't even have fluid in it :laughing:

Turned it off then back on, same thing.

Looking around, looks like something isn't grounding properly.

Thinking about it, I used Permatex high temp sealant (it even states to use sealant in the Autometer instructions.

Between that, and the pan using sealant between it and the transmission, I don't think the pan is well grounded. There's the dipstick tube, but that was painted and the engine there wasn't really a good ground.

So looks like I might need to add an additional ground wire between the bung and the hex head of the sender, as the sender grounds through it's threads.

Pan fluid looked fine, and didn't smell burnt...so I'm pretty confident I've just got a wonky gauge/ground situation.

Well, went out tonight and got a few other things taken care of.

Moving everything to T-Bolt clamps on the cooling system, though those are a *wee* bit harder to maneuver around underneath.

I decided to test my gauge with a tried and true method...the boiling pot of water.

I realized I didn't have the gauge fully grounded (forgot to re-hookup my ground on my panel), so that's why I was getting the gauge sitting at ~190*.

Fixed the ground and it was back to "normal".

Grabbed the pot, threw the sender in (with the threads grounded as they should be), and had a digital submersible tip thermometer to verify against.

The end result...

The gauge is reading almost exactly 50* high. With the water at ~190*, the gauge was showing 240*.

So looks like I'll get to call Autometer tomorrow and see whether the gauge is bad, or the sender is. Yay...

Back