• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 rebuild/upgrade build thread

The mods have been made, the data logger has been purchased, and the first valve body is being sent out for testing shortly.

We are expecting this preliminary setup to increase line pressure from approx 60psi at idle and 90 psi at WOT to 90 psi at idle to 140psi at WOT. In short, we are expecting a 30-50 psi step up in overall transmission line pressure. This is an overall increase of 52%, (+/- 2.5%) in line pressure.
Shift from 1st to 2nd is calculated to be approximately 56.25% quicker.
Shift from 2nd to 3rd is calculated to be approximately 44.00% quicker.
Shift from 3rd to 4th is calculated to be approximately 77.77% quicker.

Cooling and torque converter flow circuits are not affected.
Will that increase in pressure be likely to blow any seals or is it all contained in the valve body?

Just the valve body alone will be a sizable performance increase, and it bolts right in and out and has a couple of wires. It's easy and I'm putting together step by step removal/installation instructions. We might recommend a rebuild with it, but if your transmission is in good condition already, then it should perform nicely.

Keep in mind that new fluid in old transmissions can "clean" the frictions really well and plug the filters, causing transmission failure. Best thing to do is just stay on top of the regular fluid change intervals recommended by the manufacturer.

The goal is for them to be as quick and firm as possible without being too harsh. That's part of what the testing is about. Dialing it in. As pressures rise and spaces fill faster, things get held in reaction harder and do it more and more harshly the faster we make it shift. I'm looking for that sweet spot, though it can be tailored to different conditions and combinations.

It's looking like $200 with mandatory core, then giving NAXJA members 25% off, so $150 for members. Turn around should be about a week. I don't know for sure yet though. Haven't turned one around yet. :)

Transmission is basically available rebuilt (I have the one in the thread)...with raybestos yellow frictions, new sprags, and all new seals. Don't know how much yet, probably like 1200 to 1500 plus freight. Couple that with the valve body and we are getting damn near bullet proof, depending on your power level. Couple that with paddle shifters and we have something REALLY sweet. :)

@Talyn: No. I'm personally not even using the Jeep transmission or ECU. I have the hybrid A340e in my Jeep now, which is why I am relying on another Jeep owner to get this tested. I don't have an AW4 in a Jeep anymore.

The upgraded transmission and valve body are set for use with the stock Jeep control systems. Valve body is a simple procedure.

Drain fluid. Drop pan. Remove valve body. Clean and dry valve body. Ship it to me. I open and modify it. I send it back. You re-install valve body. Bolt up pan. Fill trans with fluid. Go beat the crap out of it.

I will actually provide pretty detailed instructions and diagrams to assist with the removal and installation procedures. I believe good thorough documentation and instruction is one of the marks of a professional. :)

I am not yet a vendor, so wait until you see my name in BLUE before trying to buy from me. Once my name is in blue, at least one of these things will be available for sale.

Transmission is basically available rebuilt (I have the one in the thread)...with raybestos yellow frictions, new sprags, and all new seals. Don't know how much yet, probably like 1200 to 1500 plus freight. Couple that with the valve body and we are getting damn near bullet proof, depending on your power level. Couple that with paddle shifters and we have something REALLY sweet. :)

Damn near bullet proof" Would you include a written warranty of sorts?

Damn near bullet proof" Would you include a written warranty of sorts?

I'll warranty it if I have proof the customer didn't go around doing neutral drops or any other dumb thing. If something fails and it's my fault, I will readily admit it and rectify the situation. My heart and soul goes into this stuff, so in a sense, it's personal. Trust in that. Besides, I'm reasonably certain that something else in the drive train will let go first, like an axle or spiders or something.

That being said, I take pride in everything I do, so I feel compelled to warranty everything I do to a reasonable extent, regardless of whether it's exhaust tips, valve bodies, electronics...whatever.

I will honor whatever the industry standard for transmission warranties on a rebuilt performance unit is. My exhaust tips are warrantied for life. The other stuff...I don't know yet.

Good? :)

Back