• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 rebuild/upgrade build thread

AW4Rebuild11.jpg

AW4Rebuild12.jpg

AW4Rebuild13.jpg

AW4Rebuild14.jpg

This was the first real sign of wear and tear on the entire transmission that I have come across. This is one of the steels that is between the frictions in the rear-most clutch pack. This is the clutch pack that interacts with the "low sprag", which is also the largest. At some point some amount of slippage caused the heat to build up to the point it caused discoloration of the steels. This color will affect the "grip", but fortunately it did not cause any permanent damage. This was the effect of minor slippage. Of all the frictions, this group is showing the most wear and tear. The others all looked fine. I used the 90 with a scotch-brite style pad to clean off the steels so they are good and will grip properly. I expect raising mainline pressure and decreasing the shift time (with valve-body mods) will help eliminate this from happening again in the future.

AW4Rebuild15.jpg

AW4Rebuild16.jpg

AW4Rebuild17.jpg

AW4Rebuild18.jpg

Next week I have one more piston to go, then it's just cleaning the entire case and re-assembling the entire transmission.

I just brought it home yesterday. New seals and frictions all installed. Transmission inspected and checks out 100%. If only I could test it in a Jeep. :) It's a matter of reading the manual, keeping everything in order and staying organized. Manual is available on scribd.com. After putting it together, and then taking apart about 4times I started getting quick with it. Tools needed are a large flathead screwdriver, piston spring compressor, 90 degree pick, different snap-ring pliers...sockets and ratchet, torque wrench, rubber tipped airgun with pressure regulator, a long "bar-type" puller (similar to a steering wheel puller or the like), and assembly lube. The big thing that will be documented is going to be the valve body modifications. I should be doing that in a few weeks.

Last edited:
It's all pretty straight-forward and in the manual... biggest things are make sure bearings go back in facing the same way they came out, and you better not have any parts left over, lol. If you have any problems with slipping GET OFF THE THROTTLE and wait for my valve body mods that are coming soon. :)

Any progress on this? Great tech!

It's all pretty straight-forward and in the manual... biggest things are make sure bearings go back in facing the same way they came out, and you better not have any parts left over, lol. :)

I always thought that the first law of inanimate reproduction was:

If you take a unit apart and put it back together enough times, you should have enough parts left over to built another complete unit.

Could be wrong...

Looking to see the Valve Body Mods as that is where the big gains are going to be.

Yeah, me too. Been super busy with the swap, starting my company, and I know my friend is swamped with trans' to rebuild. I'll call him this week though and see if we can set up a day to do this.

saweeeet... patiently awaiting:smoker:

too often good project threads end abruptly, with no documented completion... thank u for sticking with it, & the thread

I don't wanna get anyone too excited (especially me), but I may have a date for Monday to get this valve body done. Don't hold your breath, just keep your fingers crossed.

Done. Information recorded, valve body modified, and test unit being prepared to be sent out for testing so further adjustments can be made, if necessary. All systems go. :)

At this point we are expecting a 30-50% step up in main line pressure, as well as quicker and firmer shifts from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and 3 to OD (4). I'm working to put legitimate and measured numbers on as much as I can, cause I'm a dork like that. O-gauge-steemer will be assisting with that. :) We are NOT doing any sort of accumulator shimming, since as I understand people only do that because they have no idea what's going on in the control side of the trans. Besides, that doesn't improve the torque capacity or overall efficiency of the trans like the separator plate and main line pressure modifications do. I can not stress enough the confidence I have in the source that these mods are coming from. I'm stoked that this experience is what I was able to harness to get our transmissions for our Jeeps performing better than the rest.

Summed up: Phase 1 complete. Phase 2, testing/adjustment is about to begin.

I'll also be re-scheduling my ASE test for automatic transmissions and transaxles, so if and when any of you decide to send me your VB you can at least know that the person performing the modifications is ASE certified.

Happy Christmas!

Meh, your smart enough. Less books more AW4 mods and turbo Jeep. :p Great work you are doing here. NAXJA will benefit greatly from your contributions.

The mods have been made, the data logger has been purchased, and the first valve body is being sent out for testing shortly.

We are expecting this preliminary setup to increase line pressure from approx 60psi at idle and 90 psi at WOT to 90 psi at idle to 140psi at WOT. In short, we are expecting a 30-50 psi step up in overall transmission line pressure. This is an overall increase of 52%, (+/- 2.5%) in line pressure.
Shift from 1st to 2nd is calculated to be approximately 56.25% quicker.
Shift from 2nd to 3rd is calculated to be approximately 44.00% quicker.
Shift from 3rd to 4th is calculated to be approximately 77.77% quicker.

Cooling and torque converter flow circuits are not affected.

Back